For the first time I travelled alone. I wanted to do something just for myself and was looking for a new sporty adventure. I decided to give surfing in Costa Rica a try. I did a lot of research and finally decided to spent a week at Vista Guapa! The other reviews here helped in making my decision, which was the best I could’ve made.
Alvaro and Wendy picked me up from the airport and already on the way they've introduced me to the beauty and nature of Costa Rica.
I arrived at the camp and I was welcomed by the dogs guiding me all the way up the hill to my bungalow.... The view is amazing especially in the morning when the sun is rising. The rooms have a good size and has always been very clean.
The best part of my week was surfing with Alvaro....THE surfing champion...and an amazing surfing (and life) teacher. We started on land and Alvaro showed me how to pop up on the board and the best surfing position. I've practiced a few times and then it was time to give it a try in the lovely warm waters of Jaco beach. I was a little nervous but mainly excited... Right.... Here I am trying to paddle out through the breaking waves...Alvaro right behind me helping me to get through...."Paddle! Paddle hard..!" This is the hardest part of everything! "You can sit up now !" Phew... I made it.... And then it was about time to catch my very first wave...
"Don't look down, bend your knees and arch your back! RELAX and trust the board!" Ok, I'm ready.... "Here we go....start paddling!" And then Alvaro gave me that push and all I could hear was him "up, up, up...!" I popped up and was riding my very first wave.... What an amazing feeling.... I must have had the biggest smile on my face! This was the start of my new addiction....!
Alvaro, Wendy and the whole Vista Guapa team have been great. They make your stay as pleasant as possible, they organize day trips, excursions and basically everything you want.
Living in New York and having a busy and hectic lifestyle, Vista Guapa was exactly the grounding I needed....great food at a local restaurants (best ceviche), early morning surf lessons followed by an absolute amazing breakfast.... Walks on the beach, stand up paddling, watching amazing sunsets, soaking in the beauty of Costa Rica....Pura Vida!!!! I will be back soon!
- Also Known As:
- Vista Guapa Surf Camp Hotel Jaco
- Vista Guapa Surf Camp Hotel
- Vista Guapa Surf Camp Costa Rica/Jaco
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our surf camp features three lovely guest bungalows, each with an unobstructed view of the ocean. Each of the bungalows has two individual rooms with private baths, air conditioning, two single beds or one queen-sized bed and large porches. The porches are ideal for relaxing in hammocks and watching the sun rise and set over the Pacific Ocean. Our bungalows are equipped with small safes for the storage of valuables. However, our rooms do not have TVs, telephones or Internet connections, enabling our guests to leave the daily stresses of home behind and to enjoy the Pura Vida of Costa Rica. ... more less