“Great hike to impressive waterfall” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 39 things to do in Jaco
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great hike to impressive waterfall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Right after Carara National Park you will see a sign to Bijagual waterfall. It does have another name as well but either way there is a sign that reads Pura Vida Waterfall and Gardens. I did not go here because I wanted some adventure, I wanted to hike and was looking for an old fashioned experience. Not a place where you go and look over the edge after a 5 minute walk. I got what I was looking for when we hiked to Bijagual. Excellent path. While going up the steep 7km road to the Pura Vida Waterfall gardens you will first come to a sign that say Catarata or waterfall and a friendly and very helpful Costa Rican man will offer some parking and a wonderful valley view of the rain forest below. He keeps the trail clean and enjoyable and charges $20 for foreigners and $10 for Residents/Ticos. I think the price could have been less but I was happy to pay $10 (may be negotiable). Either way he is there 24/7 and very informative. His path is the only path that allows you to see the largest waterfall in Costa Rica from the base up. We saw lots of wildlife and enjoyed ourselves immensely. I suggest going early to see more wildlife. I believe he gets there at 7am each day and the last entry is available until 3:30pm. On average it takes 40 minutes to get down and 45 minutes to get back up. Well worth it. Great time !

Visited April 2013