“The Best Time in Costa Rica!” 5 of 5 stars

Copacabana Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Apado - 150, Jaco, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #14 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Durham, North Carolina
“The Best Time in Costa Rica!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

This was my favorite hotel in my entire month long stay in Costa Rica. As far as the adults only part goes, We found it refreshing that we could enjoy ourselves without hearing a bunch of screaming kids. The hotel was safe, and the staff was friendly. While you are there be sure to book a fishing trip with Julian. You will have the time of your life,. Guaranteed!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
new smyrna beach, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

I just returned from Jaco thursday May 13th and had an email from trip advisor on vacation specials, so thought I would check out what people were saying about the hotel. The first review I saw was the one "hookers and drug dealers on every corner" I almost started laughing because these people were from Atlanta and think Jaco is worse,,,, interesting. I have been going to the Copacabana for at least 10 years now and return because I really like the place. I have gotten to know the staff from the manager to the maids, they are like family to me. The comment about a drug dealer hanging around the hotel I have a very hard time believing because they do not tolerate them there. In fact I have seen the staff on two occasions run them off if they ventured up there. You might run into them up the street, but they know to stay away from the hotel. There are definitely working girls that come around, but they also are not allowed to moleste the guest, and if they do, they are no longer welcome there. The hotel also takes the girls I.D. should someone decide they would ike their company, insuring that there will be no problems with the girls. I think they do a great job of monotoring everything to insure the guest are safe, and of course happy. The Copacabana is a fun, party type enviroment and most certainly not for everyone, we all have different taste. But for me,, I would not go anywhere else. They have live music three nights a week, and the bands are very talented and entertaining. I especially like the proximity to the beach and town, you can simple walk out the door to surf, or take a right and head into the town,,, all only a stones throw away. If you are someone looking for a quiet get away,,, the Copa is probably not the place you are looking for. But if you are a social person and like to have fun, meet some great people etc, then give it a chance, you might just find it to be one of the coolest places you will ever stay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

If you are single, young, looking for fun, the Copacabana is the place for you. I stayed for a week in Jaco with friends, we are all in our 20's and needed to get away. Jaco is a wonderful surfing destination and the Copa is right on the beach (literally 50 feet away from sand) The staff was friendly and partied with us!! The copa is for people looking to party and have fun, late nights are kind of a requirement. Live music and fantastic food also complament the hotel. Just a note for families and tourists, I would not reccomend staying at the copa with kids. The copa is really for adults looking for fun. People who are care free and just looking to experience Jaco. If you are a tourist with a family, stay at one of those all inclusive deals like the Marriot. If you have a sence of adventure and can handle a more adult oriented atmosphere then stay at the Copacabana for sure.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
winfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

This hotel provided great food, great service and great entertainment. I enjoyed my stay here and will definitely comeback.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Salida, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

We had a wonderful/great time at Copacabana!! Our only regret of our vacation was we did not stay at Copacabana. We stayed at a nearby hotel. We visited Copa to attend the "Copacabana Day" party. We were welcomed right away by everyone there. I discovered I shared the owner's (John)birthday. He was wonderful and shared the festivities w/me. Claudia (manager) was also very generous and offered a spa at a discounted rate the next day (Claudia, I got my colones mixed up and I thought I tipped the girl more than I did...did not realize until later, sorry). Very fun people and welcoming.
With having the spa, I was able to see the rooms/accomodations. Everything was nice and clean. Pool area was very beautiful. In addition, the food was wonderful!!! Mahi Mahi w/sauteed schrimp and mushrooms, yum!
I noticed earlier comments about prostitutes. With my husband and I, we were not approached and it was not an issue. I had concerns about it, but after visiting Copas on a couple different days, it was not a problem.

Overall, the place was very nice. Service was great, people are friendly and location is ideal. If we return to Jaco, we will definitely stay at Copa.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

I checked into a room that was clean and well equipped with safe,microwave,fridge,tv,remote a/c control right off the main pool with the swim up bar.wile hanging out at the pools I met people from over the world.I found it funny how similar our lifestyles given all the different countries we came from.The food, excellent and they,d bring it anywhere,pool,hotub,bar,beach,your room great staff.If your looking for peace quite and tranquillity the Copa is not the place for you.At 9 the band starts on the beach patio. The Copacabana is the only place in town or on the beach with live music and it draws quit a crowd and it,s not the same band every night.A good time is had by all.Like I said, I had to leave but wanted to stay.I,ll be back.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

I retracted my original review of the Copacabana Hotel in order to incorporate my partners review of the hotel as well. First, the staff are friendly and very helpful. My review has nothing to do with the staff. We knew that this hotel was an "Adults Only" hotel but it was located right on the beach and the cost for the hotel was not that bad. Unfortunately for my partner she was the only woman who was not a "Working woman." She felt that the men who were present during our stay viewed her as a working woman as well and this made her very uncomfortable. The other issue was the loud music which played late into the night and made it difficult for people staying within the inner ring of the hotel.

I want to point out that I have traveled all over the world -- 98 countries - and the web presentation for this hotel made it seem far better than it actually is. We were pulled in by the website and now that we have been there I would NOT recommend this to anyone I know.

Once again, this is not a statement about the staff, it is a statement about the type of clientele, and the guests which the hotel seem to court in order to make money during a downturn in tourism in Costa Rica.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
john0123, Manager at Copacabana Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, March 6, 2010
We thank the guest for his positive comments on our staff.This consumer stayed with us during superbowl weekend,which for the last 10 years or longer has been a mans party time.We are always full that time of year normally by September of the year previous all rooms are gone for superbowl week.This consumer is correct that his companion was the only female staying at the hotel.But this is not normal throughout the year as alleged by the guest.If this guest had stayed with us during other times ie:New Year's he would have found no working girls.This year we have 15 weeks set aside only for couples.Other weeks are more evenly matched with couples,single ladies and single men.Our entertainment hours are fully disclosed on our web site.Being that we were 100% full on the night that this guest checked in we could not move them to a quieter part of the hotel.We are sorry that this guest did not fully enjoy his stay.

Been to Copacabana Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!