“Best vacation ever for me.” 4 of 5 stars

Copacabana Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Apado - 150, Jaco, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #13 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Clearwater, Florida
“Best vacation ever for me.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

I had never been to Costa Rica before but finally did so based on my friends commenting about how wonderful the country was. I stayed in the Copacabana Hotel and Suites in Jaco. The hotel sits right on the beach off the main street.
I found the staff at Copacabana to be really very good and helped any way they could to make my stay enjoyable. Prior to coming to Costa Rica, I had frequent email back and forth with Katia the reservations manager. She was extremely helpful at every step and answered every concern. I think others on this site that have reviewed Copacabana had made much the same comments that I would agree with. Not sure how old the facility is but it does need some upgrading and cosmetic approaches to some of it. The pool and bar area were very nice and comfortable and the main restaurant looks right out onto the beach with a large deck area for cocktails and such. I would suggest you might bring your own hand soap since what was provided by the hotel was not very good. Hopefully that will change. The shuttle service to and from San Jose airport was great. There was a hotel greeter at the airport when my plane landed and sat with me until the shuttle appeared. The shuttle has a specific schedule but my plane was quite early. But, the hotel does provide transportation for specific schedule needs of guests. I do wish the hotel would also provide a check cashing service of sort for American guests. In order to get any American currency from an ATM machine, one has to go to the main street to find one and even it is rather hidden from the street. But, for sure, the hotel was great and Jaco is as well. Especially if you are single as myself. I will certainly return to Copacabana when I can.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Doral, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Continuing with my trip to Costa Rica, the Copacabana in Jacó had the perfect mix of sun and sand. I lounged in the big pool, skinny dipped in the "adult" only pool and walked out (with clothes on) on the sandy beach of Jacó. The hotel fronts onto the beach, so no having to walk blocks to dip my feet in the Paficic ocean.

What I also liked about the Copacabana is the proximity to all the night spots. In shorts and sandals was able to able to visit nice restaurants, bars with live music and types of entertainment.

The room was clean, the staff very attentive. The food excellent and to my way. If you can't find on the menu, just ask for what you want, they way you want it and they will make it for you.

Internet is fast and available in the room and pool bar. Nothing like sitting by the bar, watching the action in the pool and surfing the web.

Though the weekends there is a lot of action, if you are looking for some quiet time, during the week is best. I stayed there three nights in total and fully recommend it.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

I am not that familiar with Iguanas,,but they were everywhere at this hotel..It took me a while to get used to them sneaking up to me while relaxing by the pool...One night something fell out of the AC unit in the room,,that was located near the ceiling..Whatever it was ran under the bed..I went to the front desk and asked for assistance because I thought it might be a baby iguana..They said no one was available to assist me..This was around 3am..Well after an hour of sitting by the pool I decided to go back to bed..Later that morning I was told that it was probably a gecko..I had the maintenance search my room but they couldnt find anything..

I had a suite with a jacuzzi...One room had the bed which was uncomfortable, a mirror on the ceiling,( only one other mirror in the bathroom) no tv in this room..The other room had a TV,,I was surprised that HBO was in english,,the furniture was outdated and uncomfortable,not a hotel where you can stay inside and relax,,, no hot water in the jacuzzi...Make sure the AC is off before you get into a cold jacuzzi. My room also had a safe that was located in a closet..You lock the safe with a key and that key also locks the closet...The safe was very small approx 8x12,,laptops will not fit..The safe was secured by loose one bolt..

I arrived on a Sunday around noon and was allowed to check in..Everyone is very friendly and will answer all your questions.. I didnt do the all inclusive because I wanted to experience the town of Jaco as much as possible..I think all inclusive was an additional $90 a day or something like that..The time I was there,,they didnt have not even one day of live entertainment...I dont think they had many guest the first few days I was there so maybe that was the reason.I usually was the only person in the pool(with my trunks on haha) I wasnt interested in going to the nude pool but not sure if they had any guest in that pool during my stay...I enjoyed all the other bars and spa within a few steps from the hotel..

The beach was dark brown sand..Not very clean,,very rocky and strong riptides so be very careful..It was good for surfers and that was enjoyable just watching them...The hotel doesnt have any chairs on the beach but the spa next door does and you can use them for $10...They will also bring you drinks.

I really enjoyed Jaco and hope to return soon and I liked the employees of the hotel so its possible I might stay there again someday..

Because of my flight schedule I had to get a personal driver to pick me up at the airport and return back..I think that cost approx $90 each way..The ride was around 75 to 90 minutes to San Jose..My driver was fantastic and gave me all kinds of advice on where to eat and what to do..

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Heredia, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I don't even remember how many times I had been in the copabana but I just know gets better every time that I go!
This time I went with my husband and friends and we had a great time!
the free schedule transfers are always on time waiting for us and the driver always with a big smile on his face!
The rooms are clean and the maid service is awesome always clean towels , shampoo, soap and if you book a room with a jacuzzi they give us bubbles !!!!!
Food is the best in all jaco ( we tried a lot of restaurants but always the copa is the winner)
Thank you to all the staff for all the help !
We are going back in July!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

I was hosted at this hotel for 3 days, is a natural paradise, close to the beach, with a really nice beach view, the service and the food is really good.

I recommend the "chicken Burrito" and if you are looking for gourmet dishes, any kind of pasta is delicious. But if you are looking for seafood dishes, they have plenty of choices...

At night ... the bar had karaoke night we had such a blast and at the afternoon we were able to play some volleyball in the pool.

My room really comfy with pool view and A / C.

If you are looking for an adult only experience its a must to visit this lovely place.

=D

Room Tip: beachfront rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Province of San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Stayed at the copa with a group of friends and we had a great time. I hate to see how people can make up stories to hurt somebody. Is not my first time staying here. I always had soap in my room, shampoo and when I stayed in a room with a jacuzzi I also had bubble bath. The staff is friendly and Helpful, is not a 5 stars hotel but if you are looking for a clean , safe, Friendly and fun hotel the Copacaban is the place for you

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

In a word, TERRIBLE. Start with no soap in the rooms. The pool and Jacuzzi were disgusting Would you want to swim in a pool at a hotel that doesn't provide soap? And Forget about secure rooms. Even locked doors could be easily opened. The safes aren't secure. What good is a safe that isn't secured in place? What a joke. I paid extra for the extravaganza package and got nothing. The package was to include RT airport transfers. My flight was delayed. I notified the hotel 8 hours prior to my arrival. They added $90 to my bill, and my driver demanded that I pay him $25 dollars as well. The hotel is 2 hours from the airport. I had no choice but to pay. The people were nice enough. The pretty hostess was especially nice to certain patrons as I saw her enter the room to give someone her personal thanks. I'm no prude, but really? The rooms were clean except for a few interesting white stains on the red bedding. Look, this was a guy trip and we are all experienced travelers....but there is no way I'd recommend this place. Go to the Best Western next door. Its the same price!!!

Room Tip: Avoid Jacuzzi suites especially if you like a clean Jacuzzi.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Copacabana Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!