“Enjoyed my stay & right on the beach.” 4 of 5 stars

Copacabana Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Apado - 150, Jaco, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #14 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Miami
“Enjoyed my stay & right on the beach.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2008

Went to Jaco Beach without a reservation and Tried to get into Claritas but was full. They recommended to me CopaCabana. I got the the recption area and a Filipino lady attended us. She was so sweet and accomodating to our request. The whole staff was excellent. I must say the price was very good for two double beds. Had a great air condition, Fan, Cable TV and hot water. The place was very clean in and out of the room. It has a pool with swim up bar, restaurant and in on the beach. I would not take kids at night as a couple of night girls will roam the bar at night. The hotel does not let many enter as the bar is not that big. I only saw three that night. Another gentleman had gone fishing and brought back some nice Mahi Mahi fish which the kitchen had prepared for him. Over all This is a great clean place to stay and it was $100.00 for the room with tax. Just remember Jaco is really not for families yet. I probably would not even let my teenage kids get in the rough tides as they do have many rip currents. Maybe once all the new American hotel chains finish being built then this will be more family driven. Unfortunately then, Jaco will just be another American tourist trap.

• Liked — Clean, friendly staff and price being on the beach.
  • Disliked — The Hotel is great. Its that Jaco is big on prostitues and not family oriented.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Cuzco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2008

I just came back from Costa Rica, i stay in Heredia for 1 night and then i went to Jaco, i decided to stay at the Copacabana.
The room was great the place is right on the beach and just one block from all the town activities. Is true that there are prostitutes but is not a Copacabana thing is a Country thing, you will see hookers anywhere you stay in Costa Rica....the lights are perfect in the room you dont need anything else... i had and small problem with the ac but they fixed right the way, so was not a big deal.... When you go to Costa Rica you have to remember that you are in a third world country so just enjoy your time there and dont waste your time complaining about everything, If not go to another hotel and pay 300 dollars a night..

Enjoy your trip and enjoy this nice hotel and beatiful country

• Liked — The food and the music
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2008

We stayed here for 4 nites too long. The Loud Music was just unbelievable, you could not possible sleep until about 2am after the screaming(Singing)and karakoe stopped. Then when the locals started their cars and the Hotels Dogs started barking it was another event. The 2 dogs that live in the lobby of this Hotel bark through out the nite. No rooster here to wake you. The bar has very suspicious activities going on. You soon realize that you are in a beach town that caters to men looking for a "good time!'. The Pool is so dirty, it has ring aroung the collar. The "garden" area around the pool is littered with old rusty washers and dryers, garbage, and who knows what else, the dogs caught something one day, with a very long tail. The stove in our room never did work. The lighting in the room is so dim, you can hardly see yourself in the mirror. Poor water pressure, air conditioning vent right above you face while you are trying to sleep. Absolutely the worst place I have ever stayed in anywhere in the world. Please advoid this place, it will wreck your holiday. Oh, I should also mention that the beach out front is actually a Dog Beach.....never seen so many dogs on a beach, and ofcourse no one is picking up after them, so be careful where you step. Luckly we found other beautiful beaches at the many beautiful national parks we visited.

• Liked — The few Palm trees out front.
  • Disliked — The disgusting performances going on at the pool bar every night.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Alana59, public relations manager at Copacabana Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 2, 2008
We appreciate all comments from our guests whether they are good or bad except wherever the comment is not facutal, we then believe a reply is warranted. For security purposes, there are 2 dogs on the premises that the guests enjoy being with. On occasion the Thursday night karaoke extends into the morning hours ONLY if our guests wish for it to continue. These guests made no comments in their review if they brought their concerns to management pertaining to the music, stove, lighting, water pressure, pool or the air conditioning vents.

Music can always be turned downed if it is affecting a guest. The stoves are run on a propane tank and the tank can be recharged. Poor water pressure is often fixed by changing the shower head. The air conditioning vents can be redirected. The pool is cleaned once or twice per day. Some of the tiles around the pool were old with stains that could no longer be cleaned. We have tried for over a year to find matching tiles but were unsuccessful, we then decided to reitle the pool and this has now been completed. All beaches in Costa Rica are owned by the government with the public has full access along with their pets. It is illegal for us to control the beach access in front of us, however, each day our staff try to clean it. There are no rusty appliances in the garden area. The hotel has a maintenance area at the back where appliances are repaired, but in no way interfere with the guests enjoyment. We wished the guests had brought their concerns to us at the time of their stay, consequently, we could have corrected any issues they had.
Lancaster, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2008

I had a reservation for a Three night stay at the Copa. I arrived around 7 PM the first evening and checked in without any problems. About an hour later I decided to take a swim and get a drink down at the pool bar only to discover a number of Middle aged Americans matched with an equal number of Prostitutes. The next morning woke up to find the pool dirty, including a few floating tissues. When I told the front desk that I had no interest in staying at a hotel that serves as a hub for prostitute loving fisherman they ignored me. I eventually got upset enough to get the manager in the mix. We agreed that he would let me leave without charging me for the following Two nights. When I went to check out the manager was no where to be found and the guy behind the desk literally told me "the manager is not willing to come to the front" I scoured the property for him and never found him. Of course I never got my money back and would never stay at this hotel or near the beach entrance where a guy on horseback tried to sell me drugs everytime I walked on.

Stayed April 2008
florida , usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2008

I stayed at the copacabana with 5 friends in august on our annual fishing trip.

Cons:

My rooms a/c did not work well , then totally quit on me. It was my final day so it wasn't reported since i was gone the next morning.

My shower didn't drain and pooled near the sink.

My safe needed a key , and didn't work , plus an extra $3.00 a day which was not mentioned when booking.

The breakfest of a fruit plate was a joke.

The $20.00 guest fee is absurd, i refused to pay it and walked by the reception with my guest. They didn't bill it since they didn't know which room i was in.

Pros:
Nice pool setting and close to the beach.

Nice lively bar with live music some nights.

Nice security guard

Close to night life.

I will not stay at this hotel ever again. The level of service and facilities and friendliness of the staff was dismal.

We did get a group rate since we had 6 rooms , without that i would have rated it 1 instead of 2.

Don't stay there , theres better hotels with better service.

Mike

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — Everything else!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
We appreciate all comments from our guests, whether they are good or bad, except wherever the comment is not factual then we believe a reply is warranted. To complain after seven (7) months from the time of your stay with us and admitting to not advising management of their complaints , how does one expect management to attempt to rectify ones concerns. We believe this consumer must have also stayed at several hotels during his trip, seeing as it is impossible in any of the rooms at The Copacabana Hotel for water to pool near the sink if the shower was not draining. Yes, we do charge $3.00 per day for the safe in the room like most hotels oaround the world do, and to activate usage a key is needed and given to those that agree to pay the $3.00 per day and agree to pay fee to replace lost keys. We have a full breakfast menu for purchase, when at time some guests are given free furit plats, coffe, juice and totast. This guest could have purchased further add-ons anywhere from $1.00 - $5.00 for eggs and/or bacon and/or pancakes if he needed more to eat. We do charge $20.00 for extra guests, like most hotel of the world do that help to defer cost of cleaning, enhanced security and normal wear and tear. These guests are registered for security purposes, that is why The Copacabana Hotel has a flawless record in protecting its' guests. This guest has admitted that he refused to follow hotel rules including registering his guest. When guests do not follow the hotel rules, we generally ask them to please move to another hotel. It is almost impossible to please a guest that refuses to follow hotel rules.
TorontoOnt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2008

We arrived at 1 pm and where shown to our room with no problems.Had a few drinks at pool good service.
We had a breakfast and a wonderfull dinner there as well.
No complaints on this hotel.
Have been in much worse for nightly fees of $175.00

• Liked — Foood
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2008

We had a very nice time at this quiet hotel. Everyone spoke english which was really nice. The staff were very helpful. The breeze off the ocean was lovely. We went at a very hot time of year. It was a good place to relax...far enough away from the shops but not too far at the same time. I loved their avacado dishes!

Stayed March 2007

Been to Copacabana Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!