“DO NOT USE THE ROOM SAFE” 2 of 5 stars

Copacabana Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Apado - 150, Jaco, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #16 of 42 hotels in Jaco
Miami, Florida
“DO NOT USE THE ROOM SAFE”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I only want to comment on one thing regarding my experience at this property. DO NOT TRUST THE STAFF OR THE SECURITY OF THE IN ROOM SAFE!

On day 2 of my stay, I returned to my room after an afternoon of exploring the town to find someone had been in my room despite the "do not disturb" sign I had placed on my door. (The "intruder" left the TV on, and my things near the closet/safe I could tell had been moved). Sure enough I checked my safe only to find $400 cash missing!!!! Long story short, the owner supposedly investigated security footage and identified 3 employees who had entered my room (under the guise of replacing the TV in my room - something I had not requested), and he claims not surprisingly all 3 denied taking the cash. He also claims there is no way they could enter the safe (these are safes with physical keys instead of the electronic coded ones) because the master key is locked in his office. So I have no explanation for my missing cash, and of course no further way of proving anything, but I can assure you SOMEONE was able to get into that safe somehow. Raw deal for me. Sweet deal for some unethical people who work there, and maybe even for the owner himself?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Marilyn K, Guest Relations Manager at Copacabana Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
We are truly sorry to hear of this guest misfortune, any time a guest loses money in any amount is a tragedy and would like to address this guest’s remark. The previous guest that stayed in the room filled out our survey form and stated that the flat screen TV had a small blue line on the screen. This guest had already checked in, when we later found out that the maintenance staff had failed to change the flat screen TV for another. Management was not aware of any DO NOT DISTURB sign. In any event if we did not replace the TV would have been an issue. If we did not clean rooms/do repairs and/or correct other problems in the rooms because of Do Not Disturb signs during the hours the maids and maintenance staff work then we would get more complaints. Maids and maintenance staff cannot work 24 hours to be on call when it is convenient for the guests.
Our policy at the Copacabana Hotel is that any time maintenance staff goes into an occupied room; they must be accompanied by a maid. So in this case 2 maintenance staff and a maid went into the guest’s room to change the TV for another flat screen TV. All 3 of these employees have worked for the Copacabana Hotel for over 6 years. None have access to the master key safe. We have reviewed the security tapes and found nothing was out of the ordinary so we are puzzled on the alleged robbery.
To start to lay blame on the owner of being unethical highly put reservations that a robbery even took place. This is the same guest that tried earlier in the day to get free airport transfers from the owner and apparently later in the afternoon the same day the alleged robbery happened and was seeking compensation. This raises serious doubts. We are sorry that this guest did not have a great experience. On a more positive note, we look forward to welcoming this guest back again in the future.
Regards,
COPACABANA HOTEL AND SUITES
Jaco Beach, Costa Rica

177 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Audubon, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I honestly dont even know where to begin..We spent a week at Copacabana, we started each morning with a DELICIOUS breakfast at the hotel, served by the wonderful wait staff. Fresh fruits and pure fruit juices, AMAZING. and each night we had a delicious dinner, also at the hotel. There is honestly no need to eat anywhere else in Jaco if your staying here, the Kitchen staff is incredible! The first night we had a BLAST thanks to Katia! She was so fun and did whatever she could to make our stay the best stay possible. including taking helpful tips from us and making the adjustments immediately. The beach is right out side of the hotel, you walk out front, take ten steps and there you are, waves crashing, surfers surfing...PURA VIDA! Our room was perfect! The whole hotel was clean and inviting. even the iguanas were awesome! we met a lot of great people there, from the staff to management to other guests. When we return to Costa Rica, you better believe this is where we will stay!
#open-minded #adults only :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed 4 days. We booked last minute as always, and were lucky to find room for two. The room were clean and comfortable; yes we had a hot shower, a/c, cable tv (that we didn't use to much, jajajaj) cause we had lot things to do, pool volleyball and in night time it was so much fun and the food was amazing. I suppose not everyone think like me, but we had wonderful days with friendly staff and we meet nice people. If you like be yourself,feel like home, party at night or rest by the pool in the day with a piña colada cocktail, this is the place. My boyfriend and I went home with good memories. We are coming back next year. . .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I traveled to the Copacabana in Jaco from 4/19 to 4/23 , I had a experience of a lifetime , the staff was amazing , I wanted coconut water and they gladly sent a staff member to climb the coconut tree and it was raining coconut water , lol , Adult only is exactly what it means , if u don't get it u will just have to go and experience it on you're own.. Management we're even more willing to make sure all my needs were accommodated for... I was with 4 friends who also all had a amazing time... I will b heading back there soon...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Katia A, General Manager at Copacabana Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thanks for your good comments .. We are in the hotel business to make your holidays a good experience. When the guest let us know of what they want, we always try to please them, and if a guest indicate during their stay that they have a problem of any kind we will always do everything possible to fix it.
It would be incredible that all our guests let us know of their concerns while they are in the hotel so we may please them or to fix the problem if any.
We will love to see you back. Thank you for choosing us!!
Whitehorse, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

The environment is fantastic, the staff are helpful, friendly and informative, the rooms are fabulous, clean, and comfortable. The food and entertainment are amazing. In a perfect location, right on the beach, a short walk to the main street for shopping, clubs and tours!!! A MUST STAY!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your nice review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay.
We love to have guest like you at the hotel, friendly and fun.
We are coming up with new entertainment soon,. Hope to see you in a near future.
Waldorf, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I travel to Jaco 11-13 April 2013. Normally I stay in San Jose when I visit Costa Rica. My intentions were to fish inshore and tour the crocodile infested river nearby. I read the reviews prior to going and had mixed emotions , nevertheless I went anyway. I booked the ocean front room for two days at $184 per night =$404 . Unfortunately my driver took me to the Hotel Cocal and I was sick after seeing how much cheaper yet nicer it was. On the lighter note the Copa's staff is superb, Kathy the manager is a great person to talk to and have a drink with. The room was spacious and had the basic amenities, I had problem with the safe in the room . . The staff fixed it quickly. Hot water was plentiful. This hotel is for adults only , clothing is optional and yes there was nudity near the pool in the middle of the day. Please don't bring kids here. There were ladies of the night strolling in and out looking for lonely hearts, they were very low key and well dressed. They blended in well with the couples there. If you are not a friend of animals don't stay here . There are iguanas everywhere. They are huge but friendly to humans. The staff provides fun theme nights. They arranged a Lua Night including a roasted pig. Overall the stay was good. If I was a single guy looking for fun the Hotel Cocal is the best in Jaco hands down.

Room Tip: Book a pool side room and save some money!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Savannah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Pros:
It's right on the ocean! The rooms will cover your needs even the most basic room.

It's right next to a very cool hangout spot called Jaco Blue that is always open for chilling out.

The pool bar is always open. It's a great hangout spot with food all day.

The staff is pretty nice. The manager from the Phillipines is always so cheery and pleasant.

The hotel did some laundry for me that and charged dirt cheap prices.

Cons:
The working girls make it kind of awkward to relax at the pool. You're in her waiting room. Old divorcees parade around with young girls. I don't object to it but I do feel sorry for the girls.The "nude pool" isn't for sunbathing. It's essentially where the call girl goes off to with her guy. It makes relaxing at the pool kind of awkward.

The music...the hotel blasts workout tunes and 90's music even when nobody is around. So if you want to sleep and there's nobody on the dance floor...they won't turn off the music.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for taking a time to write your review.
The nude pool is open only for guest ( single men, single lady of the hotel, register at the reception) We are sorry you have felt uncomfortable, we will make sure that everybody follows the rules.
Thanks and we hope to see you again staying with us!

Been to Copacabana Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!