“Worst Hotel Ever...” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Houston, Texas
“Worst Hotel Ever...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I have travelled to over 40 countries and stayed in some pretty dire places. However, I have to say that this was one of the worst places I have ever stayed in. How bad was it? My friend and I let the hotel keep our $150 night's payment and went to stay at another hotel after several hours.

The faults? Two double beds were crammed into a tiny room, so small that the door to the room could not open entirely because it kept hitting one of the beds. There were no towels in the room, and the ones we eventually got had unusual stains on them. The shower door would not open properly. There was no phone in the room. The TV was not plugged in. Why? you might ask. Well, because it not only didn;t work but emitted a strange low-pitched buzzing/bubbling noise when switched on. There were ants (or possible termites) all over the walls and strange small insects (bedbugs?) on the sheets. Techno disco music was pumping out from an empty lounge area when we arrived at night. And all of this was for a double priced at $150. The prostitutes at the bar did not liven up the place for us either.

Of course, the management did not seem to care one whit when we complained. We then decided to let them keep the money and sleep somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Marilyn K, Guest Relations Manager at Copacabana Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
We would like to thank this guest for sharing their feedback. We make every effort to ensure our guests that stay with us have a pleasant experience and we would like to take this opportunity to address concerns raised in this review. First, we are an Adult Only hotel and sometimes this information does not show up on smart phones or tablets, it is clearly visible on our website. We have asked the various booking sites to make this information more transparent for smart phone and small tables users. Like any hotel, when we receive a reservation, we hold a room for that guest, while at the same time refuse other guests so we must charge for the room. Pictures of the hotel room this guest reserved are on our website and the other various websites.

The TV not plugged in could be valid. Whenever there is an empty room we unplug the TV. The hydro in this part of Costa Rica is not good. As an example, in January 2013 we had 6 TV's stopped working because of hydro issues and for this reason we always have spare TV's on hand and would have gladly replaced this guest TV if it was brought to our attention.

This guest room was cleaned not long before they checked in and shortly thereafter they were given freshly cleaned towels. There was no stains on the towels as this guest claimed. We do not have bed bugs/ants/termites or any types of bugs. Our rooms are sprayed twice a month to ensure this does not happen. This guest is simply not telling the truth.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Warrenton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Good location, nice people that is why they get 2 stars other wise it would be a 1 star. Stayed there 4 nights, long weekend what a bust there wet t-shirt or bikini contest what ever they call it had 0 people all a bunch of guys sitting around waiting for the girls. The only night they had anybody there was Friday when they had an OK band maybe 20 people total. Sunday the band was so bad in a 3 hour time frame they may have played 30 minutes very few (more like 0) local girls. The rooms are outdated stayed in one of the ocean front Jacuzzi rooms don’t bother 250 a night gets you less then Motel 6. The casino down the road has a lot of girls and action will stay there next time.

Room Tip: Stay some where else.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Marilyn K, Guest Relations Manager at Copacabana Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
We would like to thank this reviewer for their review and to acknowledge our hotel is in a great location and to also recognize our hard working staff, however, this guest was looking for a brothel type accommodation and we refuse to run our hotel as a brothel. On this site we are currently number 11 out of 39 hotels in Jaco. The casino that is referenced in this guest review is currently number 30 out of 39 hotel in Jaco. Their hotel reviews speak for themselves. On the Friday and Saturday nights when this guest was staying with us, we were completely sold-out and on the Sunday we were close to being sold-out. Our hotel guests comes first, not the bar guests from the town of Jaco or ladies of the night from Jaco. This guest does not like this approach, but wants the ladies of the night from Jaco to come first and not our hotel guests. We have only adult hotel on the pacific Coast of Costa Rica, but the adult activity is for our hotel guests and not for the public at large unless we invite a selected few.

We are a working girl friendly hotel, but it is controlled, contrary to the casino that is referenced by this reviewer. Most of our guests are not looking for working girls. This reviewer, (a couple) registered several working girls to their room that we allowed in. The wet T-shirt and bikini contests was a huge success (always is) contrary to what this reviewer stated, we had almost 150 spectators, so much so that guards were controlling the entrance way. We had to refuse patrons.

We are unaware of any Motel 6 that has 1 bedroom apartment on the beach with a full ocean-view and 2 person Jacuzzi on the balcony. Many of our guests at the time of this reviewer stay were mainly couples, single ladies and single men and these single ladies were mothers, nurses and lawyers. Lot of our male guests partied with the single ladies staying with us, but that does not mean they were looking for the ladies of the night. The ladies of the night go where they feel the business is. We are sorry but as stated above, we refuse to turn our hotel into what this guest wants us to do.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

This the first time I have ever wrote a review. I loved this place.The owner took the time to make sure everything went smoothly for me.I there was 1/24 to 1/26 . The next time I am down I will stay a week. I only speak English the customer service was very good. I come Costa Rica 3 times a year. I wished I would have found it sooner. I would like to thank the hole staff for great trip.
Ron from Colorado

• Stayed January 2013
Katia A, General Manager at Copacabana Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
We thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are glad the we met your expectation and to know that you are coming back is our best reward.
Hope to see you soon!
Nevada City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Jaco is a fun little town to party in. If your in to parting and a night life this is the place to go. The hotel is right on the beach, very nice location. Its about a block walk from the main strip. The beds are nice and big, hotel has good air conditioning, and a big king size bed mirror. For a CR hotel, this hotel is very nice, dont compare it to a standard hotel room in the states, because your in a different country. When we were there it was their summer, and there were a few big ants crawling around in the room, but not many, similar situation you would find if you were staying in a hotel in florida, with heat and humidity brings life. The hotel pool is nice and has a bar that you can sit in the pool and order drinks from. I think the location is ideal, close to everything and about 30 second walk from the lobby to the beach. The girls at the front speak good english and were very helpful.

Room Tip: King size bed room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicaragua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel over Christmas and New Year. We had read the reviews and got the impression that this place was not for everyone, but we are a fun loving couple and thought we would give it a try. I am pleased to say that we really enjoyed ourselves. Let me be clear, this is not a five star resort, however for the price you pay it represents good value for money compared to other adult only places that we have visited. What I can tell you is that all of the staff were very friendly and the place was safe in such an easy going atmosphere. This hotel was on the beach and the sunsets were spectacular. I think we are all in agreement that the food is first class and although the standard rooms are a little small ours had everything that we needed for a good nights sleep. Clearly this hotel does not suit everyone, but we had a great time and will definitely return.

Room Tip: Go all inclusive to get better value for money.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Niagara Falls, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Actually came across this place on tripadvisor when I was looking for a lively beach hotel that I could stop into on my way up the Pacific coast. I've stayed in some surfing dives and some really great places in my travels, but my experience at the Copacabana was memorable enough that I would actually post a review.

First, it's affordable and to me a great value when you consider it's literally on the beach and then has both a pool bar and a couple of pools to hang out in. Couldn't complain about the service as everyone from the front desk to the maids were helpful as I only spoke English and with Costa Rica apparently being the happiest place on earth, they were really patient. I stayed in a new suite towards the back facing the pool and it was definitely comfortable for myself and a companion.

Second, it's lively - I saw the reviews complaining about the music into the night, but this is the kind of place I wanted. I was there late on Thursday through Sunday, and I can say these were three of the best nights I had in Costa Rica. There was live entertainment every one of these nights, with renditions that were loud, but totally enjoyable - some latin mixed with 70-80's rock. As well they kept the pool open until the last guest departed ... really a place that caters to having fun. Specifically a shout out to Luis of the staff that provided great hospitality at the pool bar who's a Costa Rican with decent English and a good wit, that made myself fee right at home. Also when I was there they had a couple "Tarzan & Jayn" social directors, and I've got to say their nude body painting was pure artwork ... didn't indulge but well appreciated the paintings!

And last but not least, the food was very good and plentiful though not quite North American style (no preservatives and display could be better), both in comparison to places in town and what they charged.

Anyway, I will definitely recommend this place to my biddies for a hotel to have a godo time in Costa Rica.

Room Tip: I happened to stay in the newly renovated rooms which they are doing throughout the hotel, look out...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed at the Copacabana for a week recently and was thoroughly disappointed. The rooms are very small, and most of them face the pool bar, which plays loud music until at least midnight, so don't expect much sleep. The staff are mostly kind and the food excellent (and pricey), but I would not stay there again. It is also located on a dark, somewhat dangerous street, so it's recommended to take a cab rather than walk alone, even though it is a nice walk.

It is directly on the beach, but there are no beach services, and they will charge $10 if you lose one of their paper-thin towels. Also, beware that the hotel does not offer refunds under any circumstances. I was injured on an ATV tour and left 5 days early, but was forced to pay for the entire stay, losing more than $700. I tried negotiating with management, but they offered no reparation whatsoever, called me a liar and threatened to sue me for libel if I wrote any negative reviews. One worker did offer me a credit towards food or other incurred expenses, but that offer was not honored at checkout the following morning. Regardless, I would not recommend this hotel without a deep discount. There are far better places to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
We pride ourselves in taking care of our guests and giving them best service they are paying for BUT we do not bend to blackmail or unjustified threats as this reviewer attempted to do prior to writing his review. This reviewer booked this stay with us through Booking.com. He was a customer of Booking.com and never attempted to cancel the balance of his stay through Booking.com. During New Years, we have a 5-night minimum which was the terms and condition under which this customer booked his reservation. The reviewer made an allegation he was hurt on an ATV tour, we could see no evidence of any injuries when he left the hotel and because we were willing to work with this guest on humanitarian grounds,we sent an e-mail requesting the name of the ATV company where he had hurt himself (he did not book the tour through us).... a doctor's report on the accident as well as from the ATV company... why the insurance of the ATV company was not covering the accident expenses....proof that this reviewer declined medical insurance before he came to Costa Rica so that he would not try to claim on the insurance and claim against us.... and proof that the guest left our hotel and went directly to the airport to fly home for medical reasons. We did not receive a reply from this reviewer. One can only assume that this reviewer allegations are completely false and this review was put to libel and slander us.

All hotels levy a charge when a guest lose towels. We do have beach services. Our road is not dangerous. Our prices are average for the Jaco area. The reviewer is correct in stating we have great food.. Our on-site management team is always ready to help any of our guests if they have a problem. As an example, if a guest have to leave early we offer a 6-month credit to be used on their next stay and because this guest decided to be high handed/refused to work with us and threatening our staff without providing any proof of his allegations, we did not offer this guest the 6-months credit.

Been to Copacabana Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!