“Stayed at the Copacabana Nov 2011” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Copacabana Hotel & Suites

You added Copacabana Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Copacabana Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   From Banco de Costa Rica 200m South 100m West, Jaco 61101, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Canadian dollars at par
Ranked #14 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Littleton, Colorado
“Stayed at the Copacabana Nov 2011”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

The Copacabana is a nice resort. Their standard rooms are just that standard, but definately upgrade to the Ocean View rooms which are spacious and overlook the ocean and you have a balcony to sit on and watch the sunset. There are rooms with jacuzzi's on the balcony too. We visited with a group of couples. The resort does offer a nude area completely separate from the other guests, so complete discretion. The clothing optional pool is only topless - so that's no big deal we see topless all over the world. The location is ideal just a few steps from the beach and town. Just a few short blocks for the bars and shopping. The food at Copacabana is excellent. We travel alot and the extensive menu you select from -either all inclusive or ep plan - is all a la carte all the time. The entertainment at night is very good, always something to enjoy before retiring after a day of surfing, shopping or being on excursions to see the monkeys, canopy tours, crocs, butterflys or horseback riding at sunset. The front desk is very helpful in suggesting tours and local things to see, the servers are very nice and attend to your needs. This is truly a good resort to visit if you want Kid Free relaxing stay in Costa Rica with the option of returning home without tan lines!

Room Tip: King Studio or Oceanfront rooms
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Lima, Peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

We had an excellent trip, our friends recommended copacabana hotel and it was a good idea since we could not pick a better hotel.
employees were very friendly and helped us with everything, we chose the all inclusive and the food was the best.
had a special theme nights every night hawaian, Mexican night, Italian night etc
the parties were awesome with live music and many couples from all over the world.
We recommend this hotel to couples looking for something new.
Planning to go back for a resort takeover in march!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

What a surprise! Went back to the Copacabana Hotel this November for the weekend and a couple of days to hang in that great surf town of Playa Jaco and the hotel when I was last there was Adult only but now it has Clothing-optional areas ... it took a day or to get used to the naked buns and torsos walking around without a care, but I tell you after awhile it just becomes part of the scenery, though these care-free individuals know how to party! I haven't had such a good time on the Pacific coast since the last time I visited the Copa.

There was some construction while I was there, not too bothersome, but it's clear that the hotel is being updated and all the latest technologies installed which is a good thing. The staff were helpful and always there to please even though my Spanish hasn't got any better since I was there last.

I would recommend this hotel without any doubts as I checked out a couple of others on the beach, but they were located at either end and not as close to the town and action as the Copa.

Best for 1) Live entertainment, 2) Right on the Beach, 3) Good hearty food.

Room Tip: Had the suite with the Jacuzzi on the balcony that looked out onto the ocean - large to get work don...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
appleton, wi usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

I think there are better hotels in Jaco at the same price range. The rooms were just OK, nothing special. I was there in December and I think I there were only 3 other guests. I stayed one night and then walked down the beach and found another hotel, nicer, cheaper, and with breakfast. I paid about $100 for one night. The setting is very nice with palm trees in the courtyard. Very pretty setting.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

When I was looking into the Copacabana as a potential hotel for my vacation, the main draw for me was its location. I had read it was situated right on the beach, and just north of the center of Jaco. In addition, the owner/manager had assured me that the hotel's first wheelchair accessible room was under construction and would be completed in time for my arrival. I was initially hesitant about the adults-only nature of the resort, because I am not into the "lifestyle" or the nudity (trust me, it's better for everyone that I remain clothed in public). However, I was assured during my inquiry that there's a firewall between the common and nude areas and that one could have a normal stay at the hotel without necessarily participating in anything they wouldn't tell their mother or sponsor about. It all sounded good, so I booked.

I admit, I was a nervous wreck (Imagine if George Costanza and Woody Allen had a meth baby) on the flight down. I had no idea if the wheelchair room would be completed or sufficient and I had recurring nightmares that some 60-year-old German guy was going to follow me around the lobby all week asking me to eat saurkraut off his wife while he watched. Despite my fears, I arrived to a newly completed and very good room. The rooms are small, but there's more than enough space for my large power chair. The shower is a large open area with a very nice overhead rain spigot. The sink is small but reachable. There were some shower leakage issues and a lack of storage space, but they are easy fixes and the hotel was very receptive to my recommendations. There is a step to the pool area as well but I'm not really a pool guy and I believe they are working on that.

The location is directly on the beach. What's interesting for wheelchair users about the beach in Jaco (at least from Copacabana and a few hundred yards north) is that it is somewhat navigable. It is composed of a coarse, hard-packed volcanic sand that I was able to traverse. It is very rare for me to be able to use a beach that way. There were indeed lifestyle people at the resort, which is great, but they were pleasant folks who all respected the boundaries of others and of the hotel. The desk, cleaning, and bar staff were all very nice and did their jobs well.

People should be warned that this is not the place to go if you are in need of of a long, deep night's sleep. They have some good live bands that play late at night and there's not much buffering the sound. In some rooms you will hear a manner of additional sounds.

Recommended.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the lobby if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

September 2011
Beautiful location, right on the beach surrounded by palm trees with white painted trunks. We were there in the rainy season and the place was mostly empty. There might have been a second young couple but there were definitely six middle aged guys. My companion said the place was very busy during the high season.
They have two pools, one nude, one with a swim-up bar. Our room faced the beach, the balcony had been enclosed and a hot tub installed but no curtains on the balcony which meant the afternoon sun showed strongly on the hot tub and at night we were visible to everyone walking up to the bar. The bed was a little small and the room included a kitchenette (apparently we weren't the only people who didn't like the food.)
Don't go for the "all inclusive" unless you plan to do a lot of drinking. The menu is the same as Hotel Desire San Jose; bland, boring and slow. I theorized that they do this on purpose so people, like us, who buy the all inclusive don't actually eat there and they can expand their profit.
The Copacabana is not the luxury spot the website and brochures promise. Its serviceable but over priced for the area. You can get better accommodations for less in several other spots. As for the nude crowd and lifestylers, well there wasn't any crowd when we were there. The only practical place to be nude outside of your room is by the nude pool which is surrounded by a green privacy fence. This allows you to see if people are by the pool but not to recognize anyone who matches the average outline. There are separate bathroom facilities and a "spa." Both pools have curtained beds around them but only the prude pool has a bar. I wonder about service by the nude pool. And people wander on to the grounds from everywhere. A salesman carrying a stuffed dog and some flowers approached me by the prude pool.
There's a bar out front and when its busy we understood they have live music. All we saw were people walking to and from the bar into the early hours. At the time of year we were there the Copacabana was a waste of money. Jaco was fun and the town has tons of restaurants, bars, beaches, discos, etc. All we really used the Copacabana for was sleeping and the Best Western charges one third what we paid at the Copacabana.

Room Tip: Ask about if there are curtains around you jacuzzi or can you be seen from outside.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Marilyn K, Public Relations Manager at Copacabana Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
We are committed to providing our guests the highest quality services and facilities. This guest booked an all inclusive package in a Standard Hotel room with Queen Bed that overlooks the swimming pool. If this guest was concerned about bed size, he could have upgraded to a King-size hotel room. Upon check-in our front desk staff upgraded this guest to a 1-bedroom Oceanfront apartment that has a Queen bed and Jacuzzi on the balcony and because it is an apartment, it includes a kitchen and living room.

Occasionally certain matters occur that is beyond our control.
1.September 2011, tourism in Costa Rica was down from previous years. All signs are leading to a busy 2012 season for us.

2. We have the most extensive menu on the Pacific Coast and the best food in Jaco Beach. Our menu is not bland nor is it boring and is prepared fresh daily. As a matter of fact, our food was voted the best by our guests.... What this guest is not telling is that he owns or works for an Adult website that promotes escorts. When he visits an area he is always out and about inspecting other bars and restaurants with his escorts and for that reason he wrote 8 other Tripadvisor reviews on this trip.

3. This guest is not stating the true reason he is upset. It has nothing to do with our food or accommodations or services provided, but to do with a transfer between two hotels. On September 27, 2011, the van driver (who spoke very little English) was taking the guest between the two hotels that was passing by the airport to drop off his escort and pick-up a new escort at the airport that the guest arranged. The new escort became sick and cancelled at the last minute. The van driver was then instructed by the guest to drive over to Multi Plaza to pick up a new escort for the guest. More mix-up occurred at the Multi Plaza that lasted between 21/2 to 3 hours. We did not charge the guest for the additional time for the driver or the van. The guest gave the driver a $20.00 tip for his help when he arrived at the Copacabana. In e-mails dated October 11 and 12, 2011, the guest complained about the driver. In his complaint we still do not know what he wanted. In our reply dated October 13, 2011, we made it clear to the guest that we did not charge him for waiting for his next escort to show up. The guest only paid for transfer between the 2 hotels, any extra requests he made to the van driver to obtain his escort is not our responsibility.

We always receive great reviews about our quality and variety of food choices. Our extensive menu selection includes over 150 items to choose from and we also have different theme nights each week from Italian, Mexican, Oriental, Seafood, Bar-b-Que, Hawaiian and International . Our waiters do serve guests in the nude pool. We are the only hotel in Jaco that offers an all inclusive program, so comparing prices as this guest claimed is not correct.

We offer a lifestyle friendly hotel. We have the only nude pool and the other pool is often topless or can be clothing optional depending on the guests staying with us. In fact, many weeks of the year, the entire back of the property where the pools are, is either totally nude or clothing optional. As recently as a few weeks ago we had a totally nude week. In general, our guests are not shy about nudity, they welcome the idea that they can come to a hotel and be liberated.

Our oceanfront apartments with Jacuzzi on the balcony have 2 sets of sliding doors. The outer doors to the beach are tinted. You cannot see thru during the day, but at night if your lights are on, yes, you can see through the doors. If the guest was concerned about people seeing them at night in the jacuzzi, we would have gladly put up drapes/curtains for them. All they had to do was ask. We do not know why, when guests are on vacation they are often afraid to ask for things that will make their holiday more enjoyable or fit their taste buds, like asking for lots of garlic or no garlic. We wish that this guest was more honest about what his complaint was and not theorize. Our brochures needs to be updated because they do not reflect the many upgrades we have made such as mirrors on the ceiling over the bed, added Prestige suites, a Passion Suite, hotel rooms with king-size beds, curtained beds at the topless pool and a new spa. The website is exactly how it is, contrary to the guests' allegations. We are not overpriced for Jaco as alleged. We deliver what we promise to our guests at our upscale lifestyle hotel. This guest quotes Best Western; for starts, they do not allow working girls/escorts to stay there unless they pay an extra large sum of money. It used to be $100.00 per day and they do not have all inclusive program. This guest has not done his homework.
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

We have returned from Costa Rica, had a great time in the country. Stayed at Copacabana Hotel at Jaco Beach. Great surfing, within a stone’s throw from the hotel. The Copacabana Hotel has lots to offer adult life style, with live bands to entertain while you indulge by the swim up bar, lounge by the nude pool, or share in the hot tub. The lounges provided by each of the pool allow participants to close the curtains for shade or privacy. I now wish I had chosen the hotel room with the Jacuzzi on the balcony which allows the exhibitionist in me to “strut my stuff”. Having like minded people around who enjoy the edgier side of life allows you to relax and indulge in the pleasures that come with lifestyle choices. The staff is warm and welcoming, always looking to help you whenever they can. The meals were bountiful and delicious with choices from local fare to familiar foods from North America. The local people are friendly and accommodating, always happy to be of assistance. The staff and management at the Copacabana made our stay feel sunny and warm. We can’t wait to return to this welcoming country and next time we will plan to stay longer.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Been to Copacabana Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!