“Best Place in Jaco” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mar de Luz

Save Saved
You added Hotel Mar de Luz to your Saves list
Hotel Mar de Luz
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Puntarenas PO Box 143 | next to Subway Restaurant, Jaco 123, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #7 of 42 hotels in Jaco
ohio
“Best Place in Jaco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

Without a doubt this the best place for the money in Jaco

Staff is just the greatest!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

209 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Toronto, Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

While traveling in Costa Rica, my husband and I decided to stop for a night in Jaco. While Jaco itself is definitely not our kind of place (tourists, tourists, tourists!), it was on our way to Manuel Antonio so we thought we would give it a try. We booked at Mar de Luz when we got into town (based on reviews on TripAdvisor). Here is what went down:

1. They asked us to pay cash up front for the room. RED FLAG! (one of many I chose to ignore, stupidly). I was not comfortable with this, but I did it anyway. My fault.

2. There were 2 pools, one of which had a family swimming happily in it. However, the second pool looked like a cesspool (RED FLAG #2). It had a sign over it saying "CLOSED" but it was disgusting - so dirty and frothy and filmy. My husband and I wondered why it wasn't drained? It was one of the first things guests would see when they walked in.

3. When we were brought to our "room", the key wouldn't work (thank goodness! -because suddenly a naked man opened the curtains, wondering what the commotion was... we were given the wrong key). ANOTHER RED FLAG

4. When we got into our room, we noticed a faint bad smell...more on that later...

5. The bed was so creaky I thought it would break at any second.

6. The room had many ants in it. Big ones.

7. Worst of all, the smell got worse...and worse...and worse. RAW SEWAGE smell! It was coming from the bathroom, and it got to the point where we had to keep the bathroom door closed and put a towel across the bottom of it so the smell wouldn't seep through. Both of us dreaded when we would actually have to use the bathroom because opening the door would cause the smell to take over the whole room. We should have asked for another room. But at this point it was quite late and we figured with the door closed we could at least sleep through the night and take off first thing as we were planning. Plus, we paid up front in cash, and the smell was obviously a sewage issue...I figured it would be present in other rooms as well. But by 1am, we just couldn't take it anymore. I called the front desk, and the guy on duty couldn't speak a word of English (that is fine, I am in Costa Rica - but this meant he could not help us). We packed our bags in 30 seconds flat and got the hell out of there. The poor guy at the front desk really didn't want us to leave. He made a phonecall (I am assuming to the owner) who we spoke to. He asked us to please try another room. We agreed to see one. I beelined it for the bathroom as soon as we walked in and the smell was there too. Not as bad as our other room, but it was there. We said no way, and (in the middle of the night) left for the Best Western (which was much better by the way).

Lesson learned - we ignored so many red flags with this one. We should have listened to them. The Mar de Luz almost made us lose our lunch.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Victor-MardeLuz, Owner at Hotel Mar de Luz, responded to this review, March 17, 2010
From Victor Keulen Owner & Manager Hotel Mar de Luz, Jaco.

1.Paying upfront when you stay one or 2 nights is pretty common and give you the freedom to leave at hour you want without waiting time. They trust you that you leave the room intact and not leave with towels etc.

2 In the afternoon we had a huge group in the pool and they used lots of cream and oil and we decided to close that part of the pool to give it later in the afternoon a special cleaning. next day in the morning pool was complety clean again. anyhow our second pool was available.

3 You did noy receive the wrong key, you were in the wrong doorand maybe the staff should have brought you to the right roo

4 The smell came maybe of the des-insfection soap we clean the floors and when that is just done, it doesn´t smell so nice.
we offered you a junior suite for the same price but as soon I got to the reception ( at 1 am) you already left.

5 We never receive complaints about our beds but sometimes guests say they are hard. Now it's not your bed at home and some guests are very sensitive when it comes to bad and sleeping is difficult in another type of bed

6. Ants you can have quickly you only need a few minutes something sweet and ants will come our project is in the middle of nature and gardens.
ede,nc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

my reservation was cancelled and i got upgraded to mar de luz,this worked out well.a nice pool and friendly staff in a suprising tropical hideaway tucked a half a block from the hustle of jaco main drag.everything is close and this is in the middle.no visitors please,family hotel//rooms and accomadations pleasurable... safes in the rooms and the owner a very nice nederlander.in this semi law abiding town this is a safe haven ,

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Buenos Aires
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

Very nice and quiet hotel just two bloks from the mail street and one more block to de Jaco's beach. The room with quitchen was excellent.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

Nice hotel, clean and with a nice pool. I was disappointed in the town/beach of Jaco itself, very dirty! However, the hotel was great and good breakfasts. It was within walking distance to the beach and restaurants/shopping. Since Jaco beach was so dirty, we probably won't be returning to that town again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
St Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

This was our second trip to Mar de Luz and it was better than the first which was so nice we came back again! My wife is a tica , while I am gringo we have a 4 year old son and two children by her first marriage ages 8 and 11. While Jaco is the closest beach to our Apt in San Jose it is not the most familt friendly town. Since I live in In the USA our time is precious and this Hotel is perfect. With a womderful breakfast cook to order and included in the price , with a clean room with a kitchen and fridge and the cleanest pools in the country I would reccomend it to anyone family or couple on a romantic get-away. Victor we will be back and hopefully soon...Pura Vida

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

The staff at Mar de Luz were very helpful. The garden and pool area are delightful. But I felt like I was staying in the secure compound for Jaco. Jaco has become a dump. It is sleezy and the streets are filled with people I would prefer not to encounter. It was the only place in Costa Rica where I was a bit nervous on the street. A very pleasant American warned us, I believe accurately, that "This is not a safe place to go out at night."

That of course is not the fault of the people at the hotel. We used this as a stopover for travel elsewhere. If I had booked two days, I probably would have eaten the second and gone elsewhere, far away from Jaco just to get away.

I am not horribly put off by beach behavior, we live in San Diego, where believe it or not, I have noticed a dope deal or two being carried out at local beaches. But I did not feel safe in Jaco. I feel sorry for the owners and staff of this hotel, because it is a pretty clean if funky budget beach hotel with a nice pool and garden. Unfortunately, it is in Jaco.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Mar de Luz? Share your experiences!