“The Biggest Problem with this hotel is that it is in Jaco” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mar de Luz

Save Saved
You added Hotel Mar de Luz to your Saves list
Hotel Mar de Luz
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Puntarenas PO Box 143 | next to Subway Restaurant, Jaco 123, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #7 of 42 hotels in Jaco
San Diego
“The Biggest Problem with this hotel is that it is in Jaco”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

The staff at Mar de Luz were very helpful. The garden and pool area are delightful. But I felt like I was staying in the secure compound for Jaco. Jaco has become a dump. It is sleezy and the streets are filled with people I would prefer not to encounter. It was the only place in Costa Rica where I was a bit nervous on the street. A very pleasant American warned us, I believe accurately, that "This is not a safe place to go out at night."

That of course is not the fault of the people at the hotel. We used this as a stopover for travel elsewhere. If I had booked two days, I probably would have eaten the second and gone elsewhere, far away from Jaco just to get away.

I am not horribly put off by beach behavior, we live in San Diego, where believe it or not, I have noticed a dope deal or two being carried out at local beaches. But I did not feel safe in Jaco. I feel sorry for the owners and staff of this hotel, because it is a pretty clean if funky budget beach hotel with a nice pool and garden. Unfortunately, it is in Jaco.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

209 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Unity, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

We stayed here as part of a high school EF Tours group. Why they pick downtown Jaco for their free day for kids when it's a town where drugs are freely offered on the street, and every night is "ladies night" in the bars to draw women in, is beyond me. However, Hotel Mar de Luz is in the outskirts of the central area, away from the noise and negative aspects of Jaco. The pool is nice and clean. The rooms are average, with kitchen facilities. Saw one cockroach, but I fully expected this in Costa Rica. Bathrooms were basic, with plenty of hot water in the shower. AC in the room worked well. There is a safe in the closet for valuables.
Our stay included meals, which were ok. No choice, they just plunk the plate down in front of you. It was obvious that they were looking to serve food that was cheap and quick - spaghetti, burger and fries (which they sent as a box lunch for a day trip - ? - 3 hrs later it's pretty gross). Other guests at the hotel had a choice. One morning the served coolaid with breakfast.
There are 2 free computers with internet in the lobby area.
Ok place, but I wouldn't visit Jaco again.

• Stayed February 2009
angelchicxoxo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

We checked in with the friendly staff at reception and were personally welcomed by the owner.

The rooms were nice considering the price we paid. The grounds were beautiful with ample space to lounge around in cute hidden patios.

The owner of the hotel, Victor, was especially hospitable and took personal care of us!

Perfect, romantic vacation!

• Liked — Convenience - walking distance from everything
  • Disliked — could have been cleaner
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

Great hotel, great owner, great time. Key area in Jaco, right near the main strip. You can do virtually any activity from this spot. The owner is a very nice man and the hotel was very warm and well taken care of. Highly recommend this place.

Stayed November 2008
Naples
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2008

September 16-20.
Ecellent price range and secure location with 24 hour personnal ready to assist you no matter what time you come in. Price includes a full breakfast and the rooms are excellent with kingsize beds and air condition. The location is central with it´s own secure parking. a block from the cities center and 2 blocks from the beach.
My stay here was pleasant because of the friendly staff that made it feel as if you were at home and all your belongings were secure.
I even had an inceident with a lost security key for my car and 6 staff members helped me look for my key. The owner even offered me to stay in a room until the mechanic arrived from San jose.
I would recommend this hotel to everyone, they even have a sister hotel to the south at Playa Bejucca r something like that and the place is just beautiful along the beach.
I will be back and bring as many people as i can......

Stayed September 2008
Las Vegas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

I have stayed in many of the hotels in and around Jaco and this one is officially at the bottom of my list. The customer service is the worst I've experienced in a country where it's nothing to brag about to begin with. The facility itself is fair, though it feels older and, because of that, less 'clean'. The location isn't as appealing as I was lead to believe and the grounds themselves aren't really worth hanging out at if you don't mind walking/taxiing to the beach. In short, for the money, you can do a lot better in and around Jaco. For the same money, you can stay at Tangeri which is, in my opinion, a better property in every way (except the showers were a bit dated as of a year or two ago) AND it's right on the beach. Pochote Grande is also a nice place on the beach in the same price range. For $30 more (off season) I recommend Docelunas which is a mile out of town, but a great, quiet romantic place on lush grounds with a great pool...feels like you're in the rainforest. Just stear clear of Mar De Luz.

Stayed September 2007
Irving
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2008

If you click on the link to the pictures of the hotel, I stayed in the first room that's shown (and compared to the other rooms I saw I'd say I got one of the best ones). While in Costa Rica I stayed in three different hotels, this was second best. Very family-friendly, the grounds were beautiful. I really enjoyed the simplicity of the rooms and the people who owned the hotel were very sweet. I wouldn't recommend walking around Jaco at night though. It did seem a little dangerous for tourists.

• Liked — Scenery
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed March 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Mar de Luz? Share your experiences!