“3 Families - 3 rooms GREAT time!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mar de Luz

Save Saved
You added Hotel Mar de Luz to your Saves list
Hotel Mar de Luz
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Puntarenas PO Box 143 | next to Subway Restaurant, Jaco 123, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
San Jose, California
“3 Families - 3 rooms GREAT time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

We stayed in Jaco 2 nights before continuing on our trip to Manuel Antonio. We had 12 people (3 families) with kids aging from 8-15. After spending a couple of days at Mar de Luz we decided we DEFINITELY found the right spot! The rooms were clean and with two double beds still felt large enough. Each room had a table and chairs on a little patio right in front and all the rooms surround the pools - which are clean and of different temperatures. The little restaurant that served breakfast was great and food was super yummy! It is down a side street which we really appreciated once we were in town a couple of days. The beach is hot and the hotels off the main drag were loud and wouldn't have felt that safe to us at night. We were lucky enough to be there for their 17th anniversary and were included in the party the staff and families were having - super fun! They were always helpful in arranging outings or anything else we needed. We will always stay here on our future trips! When you visit make sure to visit the fruit stand nearby (say hi to Cleo!) and check out Tiger at the beach for surf lessons - he was great with me and my 12 year old daughter - we loved our surfing lessons!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

This hotel is great, perfect if you are looking for something quite and peaceful. It's a family owned hotel and the owner Victor makes sure you're welcomed everyday. Although it states no pets allowed you are allowed to have a pet but they only have one room for it. So make sure you call ahead a time and book room number 20.
For the most part it's an average hotel, very clean, except ants at times, (living in Florida we get ants when it rains outside) my fiancée and I felt pretty safe at this hotel. We accidently left money out in the open the maid clean our room and never touched the money.
It’s not located directly on the beach, but the beach is only a 2 minute walk if that, look for the Subway sign and the hotel is located behind there. Rooms were ok but worth the price, breakfast is free with your stay and it's really good. I am staying here again when we come back. If you are looking for a party hotel this place is not recommended.

Any adventure tours you take book with the actual adventure place not with your hotel. Saves you money! Anytime you book tours with your hotel they get a commission and it comes out of your pocket. If you use cash at the tours you save 10% otherwise using your credit card they charge you 10%. Since you are on the west side of the country the sunset is spectacular.

Walk to the beach around 5:30pm and watch this gorgeous sunset very romantic.
I have nothing negative to say about this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 21, lot of space. Has a Sofa and 2 love seats, king size bed, refrigerator, micro...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

A lot of wonderful experiences at this hotel. A place for any type of traveler; single, couple or family. Was in Jaco in December and needed to move out of a hostel right away and found this little gem. Shared the cost of a room with a friend. We were both pleased with the quality of service and amount of amenities for the price of the room. It was a great value!

Service: Got a discount on a room-during the high season! Staff was helpful and polite; fun conversations, they helped me with my Spanish and I with their English. The owner was awesome! Held my luggage in storage while I visited another town in Puntarenas and insisted on taking me to the bus station only two blocks away.

Rooms: Rooms were simple that included wi-fi. sat. T.V., kitchenette and a patio. Great free breakfast options like pancakes and Pinto Gallo. Kitchenette and free breakfast was a plus for since eating out in Jaco is expensive.

Environment:The rooms, grounds and pool were kept clean. Quiet place, but during high season more children having fun in the pools during the day. Garden like setting with large open patio and Bar-B-Q pits. Off the main street but short walk to beach and stores.

I was on a backpackers budget, but didn't mind going over my budget to stay at this hotel. I'm glad I did and will stay there again!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the pool are quieter, but have less natural light. More families in the high season...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

Nice hotel to stay in with children. The rooms have a little patio area with chairs and a table right outside. The pools were clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast had a few options and was good. Very close to shops,restaurants and beach. A great value for the price.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Drummondville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

This guy below to whom you answered Victor should stay home !!!!! I've been to the Mar de Luz many times. And everytime was perfect. Well maybe a few ants at one time in my room but really, that's nothing. The rooms are great. Coffee machine, blender, refrigerator ... Pool is always clean and staff, I have nothing to say against. Love the garden and I've walked that steet by myself quite a few times, day time, night time (and I'm a female !) and I've never felt danger at all. Breakfast is simple and delicious. Plenty of fruits, fresh juice, toasts and eggs and pancakes, gallo pinto... What else do you need for breakfast !!?? I'm still going next week and I'll surely keep going there for many years. Can't wait til next week !!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012 via mobile

Just returned from another great stay. We stayed there last year and were treated so good that we had to go back again this year. When I called to make our reservations they not only remembered us but remembered the room we had and gave us the same one.....it was like coming home. The staff is great and the owner, Victor, really likes people and it shows. He goes out of his way to make sure that everyone enjoys their stay. We'll be going back again next year

• Stayed January 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Excellent hotel located right in the center of Jaco Beach. Subway restaurant is on the corner making it easy to locate the hotel. Beach, shopping, everything one needs is within a 5 minute walk. Hotel has 2 huge pools; a jacuzzi; cooking/kitchen facilities in the room; and excellent individual controlled quiet a/c. Outside each room are tables and chairs making it easy to eat in a patio atmosphere. There is also a covered reading area with sofas and facilities for entertaining.

Breakfast is hearty; staff very accomodating and friendly; owner on site; and parking is free. A comfy, convenient yet secluded hotel with a homey atmosphere. Very nice.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Mar de Luz? Share your experiences!