“Costa Fun” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Canciones del Mar Boutique Hotel

Save Saved
You added Canciones del Mar Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
Canciones del Mar Boutique Hotel
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Calle Bri Bri | Playa Jaco, Jaco 86 4023, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #22 of 49 Specialty Lodging in Jaco
Point Pleasant, New Jersey
“Costa Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Canciones del Mar was very nice we stayed in a pool view room and had an apartment setup with 5 girls it worked out great! We enjoyed breakfast every morning and walked right on to the beach right after. We ate most of our meals at the hotel restaurant that was on the top of the hotel and they changed their menus for lunch and dinner. It was plain and simple dishes (rice and beans costa rican favorites) but very delish and cheap! The hotel staff was very nice and friendly and the place is clean. I would not recommend this place for a spa vacation but for a nice laid back surf trip with friends it was awesome!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Heredia, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

It's a nice place, with refrigerator, kitchen fully equiped, A/C and TV. Over all people are right by saying that it's a little run down, but it's not that bad. Staff is very friendly, the breakfast is included and it's highly recomendable! The hotel is a beach front, just remember that you're staying in Jaco, so do not expect too much from the beach ;)
Downsides: no hot water; maybe because of the low season, but the Jacuzzi was out of order, the restaurant/bar on top was closed at night, the pool bar was closed too. The beds and pillows might be an issue, though... Anyway, we did find a small crab lurking around our room, but that's what happens when you're at the beach, right? :)

Room Tip: Some say you should get the ocean view, but that didn't seem to be a deal breaker, I'd stay...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Canciones Del Mar sits right on the beautiful Jaco Beach. It is a quaint boutique hotel with less than 20 rooms. My room was like a small apartment! So clean, nice decor, kitchen, etc. The pool was fresh water, very minimal chlorine and I jumped in several times a day, meeting lots of very sweet Costa Rican families. The breakfasts outside over looking the beach were huge, delicious, and included. The iguanas always came out to feed on fruit near the tables...amazing. More importantly, the STAFF was incredible! Being a single traveler, I always had tons of questions for them and they were always very kind and helpful. When I had to leave, I felt I was leaving my new family. Vidian, who was usually at the front desk was so wonderful that I will never forget him. LOVE THIS PLACE!!! Pura Vida!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Syracuse, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

After reading travel books, online reviews, and checking out the website I guess I had more expectations for this place. It's not terrible...but it's not great either. I agree with others- the hotel is kind of run down. The pool was probably the best feature - we certainly enjoyed sitting poolside for a bit watching the iguanas being chased around by the hotel cat - but even the pool was kind of run down.

Our experience would have been a bit better if the rooftop lounge was open - it's a beautiful space that we snuck up to explore - it's in the pictures on the website - with the Jacuzzi and bar and beautiful clear view of the Ocean. It was pitch dark and empty the night we saw it and the Jacuzzi a pale green color, clearly out of order. It's the best feature of the place - a shame they don't utilize it.

Our room was OK - not the most comfortable beds, but we did get to see the ocean from the window (although not the view I was expecting for the extra price). Plus, we had some six-legged friends join us at night in the living room/kitchen area...ugh. The AC was stuck on freezing as was the shower, but we just sucked it up since it was only for two nights and too late to cancel with refund.

Avoid the food - it's nothing special and there are much better places to eat in town. Instant beach access was a plus- we enjoyed being able to run out to the ocean at sunset and play in the waves. However...it's a busy beach - it was really crowded right outside the hotel and not the cleanest beach, either.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

This was the first place I stayed apon arrival to Costa Rica (we went on to visit Mal Pais, Nosara, and Flamingo) I purchased a package deal through living social and included surfing lessons, stand up paddle, and yoga, with airport pick up (through Del Mar surf camp.) It was well worth the price and I had so much fun. The hotel itself is very nice and cozy with about 12 rooms i think. The staff was extremely friendly and accomodating morning noon and night. They were very attentive and the morning breakfast was great with nice wait staff. You get fresh fruit every morning and another plate like rice and beans and the best plantains I've tasted. I usually saved the rice and beans for later and the dinner there was excellent as well. The hearts of palm salad was good, and seabass with avocado butter was to die for! I like the rooms, very spacious and good light with a kitchen. The one negative thing was the shower and it got noisy at times (there is a bar next door). There was no water pressure to speak of (more like a trickle) and it was only cold water, so I would always shower at a neighboring outdoor hotel shower (the one by the pool didn't work either.) Also, there was an unfinished feeling to it, like it was going under construction. The pool side bar was closed and the upstairs hot tub and lounge was also empty and unfinished. It has potential for being a lively place, but I didn't mind it was very peaceful there as I wasn't looking to party. Overall, I would stay again, or for a more upscale place with yoga and surf lessons, try Del Mar on the way to Playa Hermosa.

Room Tip: Overlooking the pool or ocean view.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Fairhope, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

Having stayed at Canciones del Mar 3 times, this will be our last. It has changed ownership and it shows. It looks run down. The service was friendly, but mostly useless. There was one peson who came to change a light bulb I found particularly rude. It seems as though some friends of the staff stopped by for breakfast and the entire front desk shift was hanging out at the buffet bar providing a very big distraction to the servers who were very neglectful. Dirty dishes were left out from one afternoon to the next on our neighbors outside table. Numerous staff members walked by time and again - I'm sure one of them saw the dishers - the guests sure did. The gardens while still very beautiful did look neglected as did the pool cabana with rafters needed to be tacked back up. It was a disappointment. For that price, I expected much more than we got. Sad because it used to be so nice. I loved the pool and garden. I hope it improves soon.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
las vegas, nv
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

I am sorry to disagree with the other reviewers but we found this property to be run down. Several hours on three occasions over two days without water and no hot water, ever. The sunset views were great but part of our lack of total satisfaction may be the town/beach; the beach is too muddy/gritty, unlike Manuel to the south which has the clean blue waters we came to swim in. Fundamentally, the price of a room in the similar property in Hawaii for example would be half the price. I guess that is costa rica however so be prepared. The food was good as well however and I think adventure travelers will enjoy the property if they have to be in Jaco. The staff were definitely cool for the most part but overwhelmed by the required facility work in plumbing, electrical, and refurbishment.

Room Tip: Get the ocean view rooms!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Canciones del Mar Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!