“I love this place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Canciones del Mar Boutique Hotel

You added Canciones del Mar Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
Canciones del Mar Boutique Hotel
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Calle Bri Bri | Playa Jaco, Jaco 86 4023, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #24 of 51 Specialty Lodging in Jaco
Calgary, Canada
“I love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

This little hotel is awesome. The location is perfect, the staff were wonderful, and I loved my suite!! This quaint hotel was so comfortable; the grounds were lovely and the food was some of the best I have ever had! The pineapple margaritas were heavenly!!! The TVs had more English channels than other hotels, but that didn't really matter because between the location and the lovely grounds and pool and staff, sitting in my suite watching television wasn't high on my list of things to do. This rooftop was also amazing; what a wonderful place to watch the sunset over the ocean, and you also have an amazing view in other directions. I plan to go back again soon during high season and look forward to seeing the upgrades they were in the process of making when I was there! I loved this hotel and am so glad that I chose to stay there!! I would like it to stay a bit of a secret....so debated posting this! :) I do agree about the beds, it's the only complaint I could come up with, but I still slept well because it was so quiet...other than the ocean!!

Room Tip: always go ocean view. that's my opinion anyway, the rest of the rooms also would have had a grea...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Waxahachie, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

My wife and I found this great little hotel on the internet a few years ago and have since returned many times and partially because of the previous owner, Peter, he always made us feel at home and very special - I have sent many others there as well- The employees were wonderful, helpful and kind - right on the beach and yes, the upgrading is happening with the new ownership and management - the food is wonderful in the new restaurant - not fancy but totally practical and a lot of bang for your buck - sweet, sweet swimming pool - replace the beds with really good ones and I'd say it would be almost perfect.

Randy Tredway
In The Music Room Studio & Listening Room
Waxahachie, Texas, USA

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
CancionesdelMar, General Manager at Canciones del Mar Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
The Canciones del Mar staff is happy to hear that we were able to make your stay special. We would also like to thank you for your support, and hope to see you in the future.
Waurika, OK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Very nice place, very clean the staff was great. Great location on the beach. Very close to town, market, shops and a very short distance to several restaurants. Food was very good. Renovations were being done at time. Rooms has great air conditioning.

Room Tip: Room #15, is on the third floor, has two rooms with two double beds in each and a bath in each room...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

Have stayed here several times - great beachfront location. But - in need some major attention. Quite rundown overall. The beds definately need to be replaced . Too bad it's in this shape for such a good location, and great staff.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
I would like to apologize for any inconveniences that your stay may have caused you and your guests. We have recently gone under new ownership and we are diligently improving the hotel as quickly as possible. We are in the process of renovating the jacuzzi and the swimming pool first and then moving to the guest rooms. I would like to extend an invitation to you the next time you are in the area to stay at the hotel again or just stop by and see the improvements. We value you as a customer and respect your thoughts as it is a crucial impact on our changes here.
Rockville, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I took a vacation with my wife and two children to Costa Rica for 10 days from July 16 to July 26, 2011. The first six nights was heavenly and we had a great time till we drove to Jaco Beach and Canciones Del Mar Hotel for the last three nights. We were so shock that we sat in our car for at least 15 minutes and could not believe our eyes. The neighborhood was very run down and dirty. People were camping in front of the hotel in between a few palm trees. The hotel appeared very old and not being taken care of for a long time. The cook was outside watering a small planter and the service man with a dirty handkerchief on his shoulder both kept starring at us like they were more in shock to see us there. Kids started crying and I decided to go in and check the room. The room smelled, the furniture were very old, the bed very uncomfortable with old pillows and sheet with holes. Window unit air-conditioner did not work, the safe did not have a door and shower you did not want to touch any thing. Balcony door had no lock and not very safe. The swimming pool appeared dirty and could see algae with murky water. We left to see if we can find another hotel, but due to the holiday weekend in Costa Rica, we did not have any luck. We spent most of our time away from the hotel and Jaco and only went there late at night to sleep. We finally checked out one day early and left to San Jose.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011 via mobile

We were excited about the property being right on the beach but became more and more disappointed as we walked into our room #12. The floors were coated in a sticky film. The lights were dim, sheets were covered in stains and hairs, pillows were lumpy, and towels were rough. The water in the shower smells rank and the faucet never completely turns off. They seem quite proud of their new rooftop jacuzzi, though it remains a luke-warm temperature and cannot be adjusted. This was our third hotel in Costa Rica and our first disappointment. Beachfront location is not worth it compared to the rest of the problems. We strongly suggest you go somewhere else!

• Stayed June 2011
canciones, Owner at Canciones del Mar Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
Dear Guests,

We are very sorry for your unconveniences. Our hotel is proud of its policies of cleanliness and I will research what happened.
Our jacuzzy is not heated but is more of a refreshing experience.
Again our sincere apoligies and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Very truly yours,
Peter van Hussen
Owner
Hartford, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

Lots of initial problems, including the AC unit was missing from our room when we arrived. They sent someone (I doubt he was an electrician) to replace it after we complained and I thought he was going to electrocute himself. After waiting 3 hours, we went down to dinner to find the restaurant was closed, earlier than their posted hours. I was so close to leaving, except for the fact it was late at night at this time.

After returning from dinner out, we found the AC was not fixed, and instead sparked every 20 minutes the entire night. Also, beware, the honeymoon suite is practically adjacent to their next door bar. So when the live music started after 10 PM, we had this to listen to in addition to the shocks coming off the air condition and the noisiest ceiling fan I have ever heard. Needless to say we got no sleep that night. We had to laugh about it after the fact as it was anything but the honeymoon suite that we thought we booked!

The next day they did move us and it was better, however, that didn't make up for the fact that we had a miserable first night, and overall didn't think they handled the situation properly.

Also, I didn't think the bathrooms were very clean and the water smells, not sure if this is a hotel issue or local issue.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Canciones del Mar Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!