“Great Value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 42 hotels in Jaco
jettingtothewedding
“Great Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

I've stayed here a number of times since 2006 and the hotel and staff have never let me down. The pools are clean, and the iguanas that run around and drink from them really add to the over all vibe of the place. The rooms are very clean, with hot water and working A/C. The bartenders and staff are very nice, and the breakfast at the restaurant in front of the hotel is really good. Would be a beautiful place to get married- the sunsets are INCREDIBLE!

Candace Moore
Co-founder, Jetting to the Wedding
www.jettingtothewedding.com

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

41 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
San Antonio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

Nice place, cool iguanas, rancho with rockers for ocean viewing, a surly squirrel, small pools, I had a second story room with ocean view in the green season for $90 total, including breakfast at the hotel's restaurant (a very good breakfast), located smack dab in the middle of Jaco, close to the bars us single guys love, and theres a gym too and ping pong and pool (the game with 8-ball!!) One thing: my feet hung off the short bed and the water heater is the electric kind right above the shower head and there were taped-up wires, this scared me.........but I showered and survived!! Like a mini-resort on the beach........nice for the price!! Free Wi-Fi and works well.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

We booked into this hotel hoping for a touch of luxury - having spent a week in lesser hotels in other parts of Costa Rica. The staff did not seem particularly friendly, and it was annoying having to carry our own towels/remote controls to the room we had just booked. When we arrived it was pouring with rain, and the route to our room was not undercover - a bit annoying!
The room was spacious with two twin beds, and a rather grotty bathroom with cheap sachets of shampoo. The selling point was a balcony with a sea view and two rocking chairs - where we spent most of our time at this hotel. There are three pools and a few hammocks, which are ideal if you want to relax - however the hotel did not offer chairs on the beach (directly opposite), which some other hotels did.
Our main problem with this hotel was the cleanliness - I woke up with a cockroach on me in the middle of the night, and my partner and I both got bitten multiple times whilst asleep. I know that Costa Rica is a tropical country, but we stayed in far lesser hotels which were cleaner and less open to the elements (there was a mosquito grill over the balcony doors at this hotel, but it didn't seem to help!)
We paid extra to stay in this hotel, which is considered by Lonely Planet (and local taxi drivers) as 'top range'. I wouldn't bother next time - it's not worth splashing out.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

We stayed here for two nights in our travels around Costa Rica. Great Location to explore Jaco. Even though it right in the town, the property is set up to give a little seclusion from their neighbours. Walks right out onto the beach!!! I loved the iguanas roaming around the property!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Bay Area, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

Stayed at Hotel Tangeri with a friend for 2 nights January 2009. We chose Jaco because it is only a 2 hour shuttle ride from San Jose airport. According to my shuttle driver new highway will be completed in about 1-2 years (2010-2011?) that will make the trip less than an hour.

I stayed in a double room in the hotel portion of the facility facing the beach. This hotel also has small bungalows available which seem like they would be pretty awesome if you have several guests in your party. However, these bungalows do not have any view. The hotel building is almost directly on the beach. It wasn't more than a 2 minute walk from my balcony to the water. It is also convenient to the various restaurants and bars in Jaco.

Accommodations at the Hotel are good: a fridge, 2 double beds, a TV, air conditioning, and a balcony with 2 rocking chairs. My AC was broken but since I was only at the Tangeri for 2 nights it was not going to be a big deal.

I had room 206. I would recommend it because there are only 6 rooms that face the ocean (I imagine 204-206 or ground level 104-106). The $105/night during high season included breakfast and tax. i did not have the opportunity to try the breakfast.

This place is not for light sleepers -- there is a brand new big hotel being built right next to the tower. There is also a nightclub/bar (Ginesha) a short walk away that you may be able to hear. Even with the balcony door open I didn't have any problem with the noise but it could be bothersome to sensitive people. It isn't luxurious enough to be a honeymoon destination but it is a good value. Overall I would avoid central Jaco as a honeymoon destination because I found it quite seedy (i.e. drugs and prostitution).

The staff speaks English and I arranged my stay over email easily. They are helpful.

• Liked — great beach location and convenient
  • Disliked — a/c was broken, large hotel construction next door.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

Staff very friendly, spoke good English, and very helpful. We took day tours set up by the Tangeri and the driver Rigo took us to all of them. He was very knowledgable of the area. He took us by little "sodas" on the way for a bite to eat if it wasnt included in the tour for that day. Highly recommend the zip line tours set up by them. 25 lines over 5K, horse back riding and a good dinner afterwards. just use common sense when walking through the town. great food all up and down the streets of Jaco! Dont eat the American cuisine, you can do that at home. Eat the local food. Transfer funds via ATM ,better exchange to colones.

• Liked — Safeness
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

We needed a place to stay in Jaco just for one night. This certainly did the trick. Jaco is getting "built up" as I write this so I am glad we got to see it before it is strung with high rise after high rise. The grounds are lovely, the pool(s) are very nice. We stayed in #201 - beachfront, second floor. The balcony view was out to the ocean, sunset and all (which speaks for itself). The beach there is big (perfect for a long stroll) and still pleasantly uncrowded. The hotel offered decent value at $130 for the night including breakfast and taxes. The room was clean, AC worked well. My one suggestion would be to offer towels at the pool.

Stayed February 2008

Been to Tangeri Hotel? Share your experiences!