“Room for Improvment” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Cocal & Casino

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jaco
Hotel Cocal & Casino
You added Hotel Cocal & Casino to your Saves list
Calle El Cocal, Jaco, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #29 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
New York City, New York
“Room for Improvment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Comfortable beds, cleanliness and modern bathroom with a spacious stand-up shower make this a comfortable place to relax but the gaps in the door frame allow light and critters in as well as noise. The food is excellent on the terrace or in the room. We opted to stay here because of the location in the middle of the strip, food and casino but ended up walking out of the casino because of an overbearing pit-boss.

Room Tip: The Poolside is noisy until midnight on weekdays and 2 am on weekends. The courtyard is facing the p...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

The property and rooms were gorgeous. TravDevine is right about the pools. They are strange but they also appeared to be discolored, perhaps it was due to the color of the tile. The staff was attentive and plentiful.
I would NOT advise families to stay there. There are "ladies of the night" and it appears the owner's/management allow such to take place on the premise.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I just returned from Jaco and was very pleased to find the restaurant at hotel Cocal as great as it was two years ago. The location is the best, right on the beach, and the food is outstanding. The waitstaff is great and very attentive. My favorite place to eat in Jaco and I have been everywhere!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Santa Ana, San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed in junior suite which gave each of us our own room. I had the one with the balcony and a nice view of the ocean. The bar and pool area is nice however after 6PM the place is crawling with men seeking "working women". If nothing else it's entertaining!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Redondo Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

This is a great hotel - for the single person but due to it's pool bar being 'Party Central' in Jaco, I wouldn't recommend it for families. Nice but strange pool - 2 skinny but long twin pools and a nice bar. The restaurant downstairs is adequate but for a little extra money the Dinner house upstairs is well worth visiting. Best part is the beachfront ocean view.

Room Tip: the cheaper rooms in the parking lot area are a lot quieter than the poolside rooms which are in the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Over the last year, I have taken many of men and even some couples to this establishment through my tour company. I got the pleasure and opportunity the other day to stay there for a night. I know what goes on there but wanted to experience the hotel for myself. The Cocal does a good job overall. The rooms are clean and modern. It has everything you need. The staff is friendly and courteous. It's a great value. Just keep in mind that this place is not a family hotel. It is filled with predominately male travelers, if you catch my drift. Best nights by far are Thursday, Friday and Saturday night. Free breakfast. It is mandatory that you check this place out if you are the male traveler and are going to Jaco.

Room Tip: If you want to get away from the noise, get a Jr. Suite. If you have 2+3 guys, Check out the condos...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Lakeland, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The Cocal is actually a beautiful property with nice rooms and an amazing view right on the Pacific Ocean. I had an ocean front room which was amazing. Although the pool area is loud until about midnight if you are away from the pool that is not an issue really. What I found amazing was the lack of decent service and the total lack of any leadership at all. Even when I asked for a manager I was told there isn't one.

On our first day we got some food at the restaurant, which was very good, however they let the dirty dishes sit on the table outside for a full day even though several of the staff were standing nearby all day. Nobody had the initiative to clean. The staff arrived every day at 6am. I know what time they arrived because they would stand over at the restaurant area drinking coffee and talking loudly enough to wake us up every day.

On Thursday I was the only one at the bar in the casino. There was soccer on one TV and the PGA first round on another. The sound was on for soccer. I asked one of the 2 girls working there to pelase switch the sound to the golf. I was just told no. I asked to change the channel of the TV with sound to the golf and was again told no. Also, if I wanted t a Coke I was told to go outside to that bar for one.

When I went to the front desk to see if I could get my floor swept in the room they just handed me a broom. I swept the room however one of the 4 people standing there could have offered to clean. I was the guest after all.

There is absolutely no smoking anywhere on their property, even if I was the only one outside I couldn't have a cigar out there and was directed to a smoking area which was a small paved spot about 3 feet by 10 feet just off property. If you like to have a good cigar and watch the sunset I would recommend a different place to stay.

The food at the restaurant was excellent and the view breathtaking. Getting somebody to wait on you at the restaurant was the only challenge. Once again hard to understand since we were the only ones eating there at the time.

It was clear to see what impact the complete lack of leadership, training or accountability has on that operation. With just a little bit of friendly service this place would be a jewel of a location for vacation. As it is I will be more careful next time I go to find someplace that is not just cigar friendly but just plain friendly and polite. This is such a waste of a great hotel and location. A manager or leader who cared would make all the difference in the world here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
James G, Owner at Hotel Cocal & Casino, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Our sincere apologies for your bad experience at our hotel. While we try, sometimes our staff becomes overwhelmed due to the volume of clients we have at our hotel. Especially our bar and restaurant areas. Should you have any further issues or concerns, please don't hesitate to email them to info@hotelcocal.com. Again, we apologize.