“Enjoyable place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Cocal & Casino

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jaco
Hotel Cocal & Casino
Calle El Cocal, Jaco, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #24 of 42 hotels in Jaco
Baltimore, Maryland
“Enjoyable place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

A beach front hotel with fairly modern/clean rooms,efficient staff and security, and good value relative to similarly located properties. The restaurant serves simple meals prepared just right. For instance, I paid $150 for a less than average seafood meal for two just south of the hotel, and the next night had a delicious and much more satisfying seafood meal at the Cocal for $32 for two.

There is an offsite tour guide named Ketty that is well known at the property and stops by regularly. There is also an onsite tour coordinator, but they seem to represent a select group of vendors, whereas Ketty has the flexibility to select a vendor, or customize a tour that best suits your desires.

Yes, there are working girls at poolside and in the casino, but not aggressive. For the most part just decent people that haven't yet found an alternative way to make a living, and some have interesting stories to tell given the opportunity. Beyond that, what happens between consenting adults is not my business.

I have a fairly well established itinerary when visiting Costa Rica that always includes one or two nights in Jaco, and Cocal will be my go-to spot for the foreseeable future.

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms overlooking the parking lot for privacy, value and a quiet sleep. If you don'...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

89 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I visited the Casino / Bar while i was in town. What an experience. Hard to put into words but definitely a place i will never forget. Look up stories about this place on the internet, all of them are true. You want an experience to tell your future grand kids about one day, do not miss a night here!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Novato, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I very much enjoyed visiting this casino hotel while there last week.

The tables were generous with me and I came away a winner. Drinks were priced fairly. There were many attractive local ladies, as well as some from San Jose, in the bar area next to the casino that more than just a little friendly. I found it to be a fun place with many locals from San Jose and foreign visitors.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Utica, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

It was my first time in Costa Rica. What an awesome time for a single guy looking to let loose. The room was nice, I had the parking lot side room 43. The room was clean,with small fridge and Cable TV,Air condition. Only problem I had was shower head fell off and maintenance had it fixed in five minutes.

The staff was very friendly at the Restaurant, Front Desk,Security,Bartenders and Casino. They worked hard and it showed.

Had a chance to go on some nice adventures first in Jaco. Me and my cousin went four wheeling in the mountains. Then I went zip lining. So,the hotel location was perfect. Close to downtown as well. Many Americans were there and it was easy to get around knowing little
Spanish. Also, went down to Manuel Antonio National Park. Saw Monkies and Slothes. Real cool trip.

Most people stay at the hotel because of the working girls. They come in by the dozens and they are playboy material. So may not be a good place to bring your family.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
tahoe
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

I feel like a sold my soul for a nice room. We had no reservations and drove into town late. I saw the room and was delighted by a nice room by American standards. I had a WEIRD feeling about the place but did not want to give up this nice room. After paying, the courteous front desk person says, it won't bother you if men GO OUT with women here? He said some families are bothered by it. I'm somewhat naive as I didn't quite know what he meant. I asked, " you mean they get drunk and loud?". He said we shouldn't have any sort of problem like that at our room. They did put us in a parking lot room on the end and we did hear no noise and as we were exhausted, slept great. My husband and I talked in hushed voices in front of our ten year old as we noticed all the "pretty dressed ladies" arriving in taxis. We almost turned to leave at that point but decided to stay. In the morning, we were glad the nighttime crowd was gone and it was pretty empty. One table at breakfast ruined the entire breakfast experience, however, as it was obvious that they had been up all night and their language and manner were pure filth!!! I couldn't wait to get out of the town of Jaco!!! Go to Manuel Antonio and avoid this entire town!!!

• Stayed April 2013
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

First of all, this property is what it is! It is clean, well run and located in the center of Jaco directly on the beach. The rooms were adequate and well maintained with Flat Screen, TV's, wall safe, King Beds and a decent sized mini fridge. The bathroom was small but suited it's puprpose for a couple day stay. The price for an oceanfront room was an excellent value and included a decent breakfast. The coutyard/pool area has a two pools and a great bar that is lively until around 2 AM. As such, if you are looking for peace, quiet and tranquility, stay somewhere else! If you are a couple visiting Costa Rica or a Family; stay somewhere else. If you are shy or timid, stay somewhere else. On the other hand, if you are an adventurous couple or man on a vacation look no further then this hotel. I am fairly confident that this hotel will supply all your vacation needs and desires! One, of those needs, however, will not be sleep! Since I was there at a conclusion of a business transaction and visiting an old friend, I have no complaints other then the poor wifi in the hotel, It only seemed to work at the front desk.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jonkoping, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

A great place to stay at, right on the beach, great security. In the middle of the town close to everything. It has its own tour desk. Breakfast that is included is not very good its very basic.The restaurant has great food during the day/evening.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Cocal & Casino? Share your experiences!