“Beautiful - Clean - Safe” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Club del Mar

You added Hotel Club del Mar to your Saves list
Hotel Club del Mar
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jaco Beach | 300 meters south of El Arroyo Service Station, Jaco, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Dayton, Ohio
“Beautiful - Clean - Safe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Just stayed at the Hotel Club del Mar for a week with my sister for a special getaway vacation. We found this hotel to be our oasis for the week during our surf/yoga retreat with the Del Mar Surf Camp. The grounds are very beautiful and the staff is so friendly, including the owner, who you will see almost daily making sure everything is in order. The reception/lobby area has a cool open layout and looks into the bar restaurant area, which all looks out on to the pool and the ocean. Our room was very clean and had a direct ocean view with beautiful wood sliding screen doors that allowed us to fall asleep to the sound of the ocean. We thought the beds were great, firm and comfortable. We also found the hotel food to be excellent and affordable, we were concerned because another reviewer had rated it poor, maybe they had made changes. The hotel provides towels for the pool and beach which is very nice. And its location is at the very south end of Jaco so you can visit the city, but you are also away from the city. If/when we go back we will definitely be making a stop at the Club Del Mar.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Polish first
Fort Lauderdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Second time here.Got a condo.Staying a while.I would do the condo.it was fully equipped. Clean ,on the beach.this is must stop on the way to Quepos.I fished here for one day and they cooked my wahoo for the 11 of us excellent.Its not to bad.High tide is neat to watch.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

The hotel grounds and pool area are pretty and relaxing to spend time. The restaurant is low quality/ average and overpriced. A cup of coffee should not cost over 2 dollars... I ordered French toast one day that was delivered to me so soggy I had to return it. Another day I ordered eggs rancheros which consisted of 2 eggs with canned spaghetti sauce on it, not so tastey. A small ceviche given as an appetizer was $9, the same price as ordering a hamburger with French fries. You would think the quality would be better for this
Price considering other restaurants on the beach make this very typical food for half the price and give you an entree size with higher quality. Besides the disappointment with the restaurant, the mattresses in the rooms were less comfortable than if I would have spent the night on the ground at the beach. We asked for maintenance to fix a clogged toilet and it was never done. The hotel itself has a view of beach (which definitely is not the nicest of quality in Costa Rica) and a nice pool, but don't expect quality service for what you have to pay to stay here. It's not worth the price you pay, I've stayed at plplenty hotels in Costa Rica where I get the service and quality I pay for and will not be staying at club del mar again

• Stayed July 2013
Santa Ana, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Negatives only two.. bad beds... cheap mattresses with nothing to pad them.. Also, full size, not queen beds... made me a little claustrophobic as I am used to minimum a queen in every hotel that I have been in for the past 20 years... Second, the shower water was tepid at best for an evening shower.. could never be described as hot. But in the morning it was very hot. Either the HWH was turned off, everybody took a shower at the same time, or they have solar hot water heaters which I did not see.
Well maintained.. Met Phil one of the owners who was quite cordial. Priced for tourists.in restaurant and bar. Lunch menu was very limited...
Grounds are beautiful with pool in the center, beach at the far end and lapis rojas in the trees.. I liked the place and may return during the green season for a 40% discount and apartments for the family in total..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Largo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

This was our first time in Costa Rica and what a wonderful way to start a 14 day trip. We stayed at the Hotel 3 days and had a wonderful time. The staff was very helpful. The room was wonderful and the beach was amazing. We would recomend this to anyone and would definitaly would go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

First time here.Had business.Will be back.I love the location.Had ceviche.I am always leery unless I make it myself because of the Hershey's....It was excellent.I will return here. Lovely view......No problems.AC was broken they moved us to another room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We first stayed at Hotel Club del Mar briefly about 10 years ago, we enjoyed our stay and made sure to book it for this trip. We just finished a 9-day stay. We booked a two-bedroom condo and it was the closest to the beach (room 13). We were on the second floor and we had a great view and could hear the ocean.

We were there to surf every day and the location is perfect to walk right out to the beach. There are a lot of surf classes and it tends to get crowded on the weekends, but we were able to enjoy plenty of great waves. For us, the location can't be beat.

We didn't use their concierge/tour services. Their board rentals were $15 half day/$30 full day, with a discount for longer rentals, but we were able to walk down the beach and rent two boards for $15 each day (for both boards). If you're taking surf lessons, however, i believe board rental is included.

The staff was always very nice. We did have a little snafu upon check-in. They had the dates wrong and our room wasn't ready. That was ok, but when I said that I had dealt with Victor and had email confirmations, the response was a shrug, and "Well, Victor isn't here", until another staff member finally swept in and arranged to put us in another room for one night. And she gave us a small discount for our troubles.

We love the pool and always ended the day with a late night swim.

We've stayed all over Costa Rica and would definitely stay here again. With the attentive security staff, we always felt safe.

We didn't eat at the restaurant much, but we had a mahi special one night that was outstanding.

Room Tip: I highly recommend room 13. It is closest to the beach, on the second floor, with a great view.