“nice hotel grounds, but not worth the price” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Club del Mar

Save Saved
You added Hotel Club del Mar to your Saves list
Hotel Club del Mar
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jaco Beach | 300 meters south of El Arroyo Service Station, Jaco, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #9 of 42 hotels in Jaco
“nice hotel grounds, but not worth the price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

The hotel grounds and pool area are pretty and relaxing to spend time. The restaurant is low quality/ average and overpriced. A cup of coffee should not cost over 2 dollars... I ordered French toast one day that was delivered to me so soggy I had to return it. Another day I ordered eggs rancheros which consisted of 2 eggs with canned spaghetti sauce on it, not so tastey. A small ceviche given as an appetizer was $9, the same price as ordering a hamburger with French fries. You would think the quality would be better for this
Price considering other restaurants on the beach make this very typical food for half the price and give you an entree size with higher quality. Besides the disappointment with the restaurant, the mattresses in the rooms were less comfortable than if I would have spent the night on the ground at the beach. We asked for maintenance to fix a clogged toilet and it was never done. The hotel itself has a view of beach (which definitely is not the nicest of quality in Costa Rica) and a nice pool, but don't expect quality service for what you have to pay to stay here. It's not worth the price you pay, I've stayed at plplenty hotels in Costa Rica where I get the service and quality I pay for and will not be staying at club del mar again

• Stayed July 2013

211 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
Santa Ana, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Negatives only two.. bad beds... cheap mattresses with nothing to pad them.. Also, full size, not queen beds... made me a little claustrophobic as I am used to minimum a queen in every hotel that I have been in for the past 20 years... Second, the shower water was tepid at best for an evening shower.. could never be described as hot. But in the morning it was very hot. Either the HWH was turned off, everybody took a shower at the same time, or they have solar hot water heaters which I did not see.
Well maintained.. Met Phil one of the owners who was quite cordial. Priced for tourists.in restaurant and bar. Lunch menu was very limited...
Grounds are beautiful with pool in the center, beach at the far end and lapis rojas in the trees.. I liked the place and may return during the green season for a 40% discount and apartments for the family in total..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Largo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

This was our first time in Costa Rica and what a wonderful way to start a 14 day trip. We stayed at the Hotel 3 days and had a wonderful time. The staff was very helpful. The room was wonderful and the beach was amazing. We would recomend this to anyone and would definitaly would go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

First time here.Had business.Will be back.I love the location.Had ceviche.I am always leery unless I make it myself because of the Hershey's....It was excellent.I will return here. Lovely view......No problems.AC was broken they moved us to another room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We first stayed at Hotel Club del Mar briefly about 10 years ago, we enjoyed our stay and made sure to book it for this trip. We just finished a 9-day stay. We booked a two-bedroom condo and it was the closest to the beach (room 13). We were on the second floor and we had a great view and could hear the ocean.

We were there to surf every day and the location is perfect to walk right out to the beach. There are a lot of surf classes and it tends to get crowded on the weekends, but we were able to enjoy plenty of great waves. For us, the location can't be beat.

We didn't use their concierge/tour services. Their board rentals were $15 half day/$30 full day, with a discount for longer rentals, but we were able to walk down the beach and rent two boards for $15 each day (for both boards). If you're taking surf lessons, however, i believe board rental is included.

The staff was always very nice. We did have a little snafu upon check-in. They had the dates wrong and our room wasn't ready. That was ok, but when I said that I had dealt with Victor and had email confirmations, the response was a shrug, and "Well, Victor isn't here", until another staff member finally swept in and arranged to put us in another room for one night. And she gave us a small discount for our troubles.

We love the pool and always ended the day with a late night swim.

We've stayed all over Costa Rica and would definitely stay here again. With the attentive security staff, we always felt safe.

We didn't eat at the restaurant much, but we had a mahi special one night that was outstanding.

Room Tip: I highly recommend room 13. It is closest to the beach, on the second floor, with a great view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have mixed feelings about Hotel Club del Mar. Our room was "nice" but we were promised ocean view and we could barely see the ocean through the trees from our 2nd floor room in the main building. We were too tired to ask to be moved so it remained a bit of a sore point throughout our 4 nights there.

The food was definitely mediocre and the breakfast (continental included) was a real disappointment. They served a modest sized plate of various fruits. I would have preferred to have chosen my own fruit. It also came with 2 thin slices of "toast"... barely toasted and so cold that the butter wouldn't melt on it. Dinner tasted like it was heated from a package.

The service was great, especially at the front desk, where the staff were very friendly and helpful. The grounds were tidy, the pool was great (definitely a bit too warm!) and lots of lounge chairs.

I personally thought the beach was pretty nice. Yes, it was rocky near shore but we were usually out there when the tide was out so it was beautifully sandy to walk along. We found it to be an easy way to walk into town to shop a bit. It's NOT a great swimming beach due to the waves and rip currents. I stayed near shore and enjoyed the waves that crashed over me.

I didn't realize (until reading another review just now) that there is a concern about crime. We walked the beach after dark, walked along the main drag in Jaco and took a taxi back... no problem. In hindsight, probably not a good idea.

All in all this was a good hotel for the price and I'd stay there again... but would insist on an ocean view next time!

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for ocean view!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

This hotel was a really suprising treat at the end of our family holiday to Costa Rica. I booked it the night before we set off and then added a further night en route after our disastrous stay in Playa Grande - see separate review. The rate was really good and we arrived to find that we were in a 2 bedroomed condominium (no. 14) that was pretty much on the beach front. There was a fully fitted kitched, two separate bathrooms, 2 satellite TVs (one in sitting room and one in master bedroom). I seem to remember there was even a washing machine / tumble drier. It was so totally unexpected and we were delighted with it. There were french doors that opened out onto the sea view from both the dining area and master bedroom. Honestly you could have moved in and stayed there for weeks. The hotel pool was like stepping itno a warm bath and the sea was great fun with big rolling waves suitable for surfing. I would definitely recommend it as it is out of the main Jaco resort with its more commercial hotels. We went to Manuel Antonio as a day trip from here (1 hour each way). All in all a great stay.

Room Tip: We were in condo 14 which is right at the front, nearest to the beach.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Club del Mar? Share your experiences!