“Basic but sufficient” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 44 Hotels in Jaco
Scottsdale
“Basic but sufficient”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We ended up at this hotel by fluke. We originally booked at Pumilio but after realizing they are 7 kms outside Jaco, we canceled our res. This hotel is very close to the beach and includes complimentary breakfast buffet and chairs on the beach with umbrellas. But be warned, the hotel is VERY basic, as in maybe the level of an old Motel 6.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We stayed here two nights as a part of a school group tour and found it to be adequate, especially as far as Costa Rica hotels go.

Great proximity to the town and beach. Beautiful views, especially at sunset.

Rooms were small and clean. Furnishings were outdated and beaten up. Air conditioning was very nice. Pool and bar/restaurant area were pretty.

Stayed July 2014
Belize
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

Horrible service, no hot water and was promised a discount but at check out I didn't get any discount and manager couldn't be contacted. Only 3 start for looks, service and beds are nothing to brag about.

• Stayed June 2014
Palm Desert, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

The hotel is right in front of the ocean which is prime location. 2 blocks from the main strip where bars and restuarants are. The place is pricey for what the rooms look like...imagine a dorm room Our room didn't have a tv remote control, alarm clock or phone. Pretty small too. Breakfast is free in the morning, but I couldn't bring myself to eat what they were offering...even the cereal was stale. I had coffee though (breakfast of champs). No elevator in this hotel that is 4 stories. So now you know!

On a side note...Jaco is a good place to visit only if you are a surfer. The beach is ugly and has nothing to offer. The restaurants and bars are sleazy and crawling with prostitutes....I would stay away.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Restaurant and cocktails are super expensive $7-8 bucks for a cocktail. The pool is nice and the view is nice too, room is very much standard.
Service is good.
If you go to the beach ask for beach chairs, you get them for free all day.
I think overall is too pricey for a standard hotel but we had a great time

Room Tip: 3rd floor, but some rooms view would be blocked by the building, so ask for one that is not
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Chaplin, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Traveling with EF Tour - some variation in the rooms, our was pretty large and clean. Central courtyard swimming pool and outdoor restaurant seating. Directly across from Jaco beach so the views were great no matter where you were sitting. Staff was friendly and helpful though we had to fight to get towels on our first night. They didn't seem quite prepared for 35 people at once. They were kind enough to allow us to use the hotel computer to send a message home about an injured student when we couldn't get the wifi to cooperate on our phones.Food was good - buffet for all meals - standard Costa Rican fare, but plenty of it. Quick walk around the corner to Main St, in Jaco. This is the only of the 5 hotels we stayed at that I would consider staying in myself if I make a return trip for vacation.

Room Tip: Although the ground floor rooms are large, the only way in/out is through a glass sliding door with...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Plainfield, Illinois, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

This is the third and last time I've stayed at Balcon del Mar...The other two times weren't bad, but not excellent like the others have written. I have a home in Costa Rica and will do occational day trips to Jaco. This time I wanted to have a pool to enjoy...what a joke. It is currently "xmas break" for all the kids until Feb. and I think half of them were in the pool there! We weren't able to get a chair by the pool even when the families left for lunch as they had all their towels and toys on them. I kept going from laying out on the beach to going up to the pool for a quick dip and directly getting out because of all the kids with squirt guns, balls, and just jumping in the pool around me even when the sign by the pool clearly says no jumping and noone there stopped them. Yesterday, none of the chairs were out at the beach (which was very nice) and my husband went to find out if we could get one and one of the staff (I think the guy who puts them out) said if you want them just take them. Thankfully the husband is still fairly strong (at 62 yrs old) and carried two out. I realize that the crowd couldn't be helped but they also will let people use the pool and chairs for day as I've also done this before when there was no crowd, but the pool is so small it cannot accommodate so many people! Up in the room that night the husband made the comment that maybe all the kids will be in bed early because of their long day in the pool so I could take a refreshing night swim and he was right...about the little ones...it now belonged to the teenagers. Thank God the air conditioner helped block out some noise but our room was right over the pool (I think all the rooms are for the ocean view) but could still hear a lot of their noise. The bed was probably one of the hardest I've ever slept on...woke up the next day and my whole body was sore.
The waiter at the restaurant was very nice (this is probably the only good thing I can say about our stay). The buffet was edible but the meat they offered was sliced hot dogs in some kind of red sauce.
When we went to take a shower twice the water turned off. I don't know how but it did! The furniture in the room looked like something they sell at garage sales in the states...no clock, no extra pillows, and no blanket...the only cover was the bedspread and you know how clean those are...
Of course the beach was nice, but very crowded and will only get much worse when the weekend is here. There will be so many campers you'll have to struggle to get to the beach! From now on it's day trips only for us or driving either to Samara or the beautiful Caribbean side to Puerto Uva...where the beach is incredible...

Room Tip: Try to find out about when the kids are on break before booking. Right now it's Dec. to Feb. fo...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Balcon del Mar? Share your experiences!