“Pretty Bad” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 42 hotels in Jaco
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Pretty Bad”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I had to stay in this hotel for work. It seems very old and in desperate need of a makeover. I can´t say it was dirty or that the service was bad, but the instalations are like walking into a 1970s bad movie. Flowered curtains, small and very hard beds and pillows. At dinner, the food was terrible, but breakfast was OK. Overall, I would not go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GrupoMarta, Manager at BEST WESTERN Jaco Beach All Inclusive Resort, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Karla61, we are truly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We would like you to know that we should start working on our renovation plans soon. Next time you are in the area, please, stop by so that we can give you a tour of the property and try to make it up to you.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

274 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Quebec City, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We had to be there at 13:30 to give back our rented car. very long explanations with the guy at the gate. Very long Time for checking in. Had to wait in the lobby for more than an hour. I understand that checking Time is 15:00, but We were told we had to pay 25$ just to be around while waiting. I refused, i had a paid reservation for the whole week. This was abusive! Food is basic. Only one restaurant, with depressing atmosphère, like an hospital cafeteria. No parasols in the swimming pool area or the beach. The town of Jaco is a tourist trap. The town is very very dirty. Don't go there during Costa rican school vacations. More kids than water in the swimming pool.

Clean room. Make sure to bee on the garden side if you want to sleep before 2AM. Very noisy.

Room Tip: Be sûre to be on the garden side. Swimming pool and bar area very noiisy, till 2 AM
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your comments, Christian M. We would like to let you know that after a few reports on issues with our check in processes we've reviewed our procedures with our gate and front desk staff to try to improve and expedite it. So far, our guests have responded positively and we are really thankful for feedback like yours, which made us aware of the situation and allowed us to correct it. Since we are an all inclusive, we do have to charge an extra fee to guests who want to come in earlier, but this allows you to have lunch with us and start enjoying your unlimited food and beverage package.
In terms of our grounds, we are in the final planning stages of a renovation project that we hope will please our guests and make your stays with us a lot more enjoyable.
Once again, we regret that you had a poor experience with us and hope that you give us a second chance next time you are in the area. In the meantime, we'll be working hard so that you won't be disappointed!
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

over all I can say that this hotel was okay. it's in a good location. unfortunately, it lacks of good customer service mostly at the front desk. check in time is at 3 p.m. and they will not let you even park at the hotel before that time. however, they give you the option to park at 11 a.m. by paying 25 dollars.
this is a good hotel if you are planning to just spend time with your friends and just drink and eat like crazy. I would not recommend this place for a family vacation. that is if you do not live in Costa Rica.
the bright side of this hotel is that all alcoholic beverages are included in the price. the food is really good. the rooms are average and they will serve their purpose. however, they could use a little remodeling.
it is also located very close to bars and nightclubs but I do not recommend leaving the hotel. if you do, you do it under your on risk.
if you are a guy, single and if you are looking for company, you will find it very close but they will not let you back in with guests. even though that is bothersome, I think it's a good security policy.
in my personal opinion. I was born in Costa Rica and now I live in the USA.I would not come to this place with my wife or girlfriend. instead, I will look for 1 of the affordable condos located on the hills around the town.
I came to this hotel with my guy friends to drink and eat and worked out very well. other than that, I will not be coming back.

• Stayed January 2013
Jaco Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This hotel seemed like a good choice because of it's location. The price was better than condos and we decided to try it for a weekend stay in Jaco. WE hated it because the outside bar area had loud music with a booming drum and at 1:30 in the morning we were ready to sleep. We had our 9 year old niece with us and she couldn't sleep and was crying. The breakfasts were okay and the pool area is decent and we like the town which has great restaurants and is friendly, but this hotel needs to get their act together.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I had low expectations for both the town of Jaco and this hotel given the other reviews I read. It turned out the town wasn't that bad.... But it was too hot to really spend anytime exploring,,,, so we spent all our time at the hotel... I would give this place a solid 3 stars... My kids loved it, there was lots of tico families with kids of all ages for my kids to play with. The pools were clean, and the food was good.....

Why only a 3 star? The room was adequate but nothing special, the music was too loud and went on to about 1am... (bring ear plugs). Keep your expectations at about a 3 star hotel level and you should have a good experience...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Lafayette, Indiana, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

in the lack of customer service from Jaco Beach Hotel. Apparently somewhere in between the time we booked this vacation and before actually arriving the hotel had become an all inclusive. We were asked if we wanted the all inclusive pkg for $70 per night pp and we said no. No problem until we wanted to get a drink at the bar after traveling for 15 hrs and were told we would not be able to purchase even a bottle of water on the property since we were not all inclusive. Anytime we wanted a drink we had to leave the property. I found this to be insane and the worst way to treat guests at your hotel... Luckily there are plenty of restaurants and bars within walking distance because we had to go to a grocery store that night to get food and drinks to keep in our room. When we wanted to go to the beach, we put our drinks and ice in a trash bag from the room and hauled them to the beach. And don't expect anyone to help you with your beach chair, I was told I could clean my own chair after a night of rain and wet sand all over the chairs.

Room Tip: We had two hotel rooms that joined with a small kitchen in one of them. Each bedroom had two beds...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

by the name of this hotel, and what I had seen in the past, I expected much more from the hotel, and I mean everything, the bedrooms, bathrooms, food and the services, which was not so bad, but I expected more.

i don't think I am going back there

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Jaco Beach All Inclusive Resort? Share your experiences!