“Word for the wise: never stay at this hotel” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Pastor Diaz Ave, Jaco, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #24 of 42 hotels in Jaco
San José, San Jose, Costa Rica
“Word for the wise: never stay at this hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I recently stayed at the Jaco Beach Best Western. I immediatley booked a room for week along with the meal package. I quickly learned that I had made a mistake. The food was terrible and the selection was poor. I then ended up deciding to change my travel arrangements and after I had a administrator ok staying three nights instead of five I left the hotel to find much better accomadations. I checked out and was assured that two nights would be put back on my credit card. It is almost a month later and still no money on the card. I've spoken to multiple representatives of the hotel and have made no head way on my dilema. I've been confronted with poor customer service and staff that are less than willing to help me with a clear mistake. I've gotten the impression that no one wants to help resolve this affair and I've been treated like I was trying to take advantage of the hotel and had been told over and over that the the money was put back on the card. I've visited my bank several times and there is no history of any attempt or even returned funding. This hotel is horrible. It is is a disgrace to other establishments in Costa Rica and even the area. I will never stay at this hotel again and will continue to hound their offices until my money is returned,

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

280 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Marlboro, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

I came to Jaco for a day trip, and got a deal with the Best Western to use their facilities for the day -- 2 meals, 5 drinks, 4 snacks, access to the changing room, etc. Sounded like a great deal, and I was very excited for the day. What they failed to let my group know was that they were going to be hosting a cheerleading competition the day we would be there, so our nice, relaxing day at the beach was anything but. The snacks offered were cold french fries, half a sandwich, fish tenders, or nachos. Definitely not appetizing. The worst part of the day came at the end, when a group of girl friends and I were in the changing rooms, changing out of our wet bathing suits, and in walks a male cleaner. He stayed the entire time we were changing. I left to complain to the front desk, and the man at the front desk shrugged and made an excuse about not enough workers showing up. I pointed out that there was a woman cleaning the rest room area, so clearly there was someone that could have cleaned the changing room area. The front desk did not care, and did not apologize. I later found out that there was a woman cleaning the changing area of the men's room. I could've gotten past the poor facilities and food and given this place 3 stars, but the inappropriateness of the man in the changing room and the horrendous customer service warrants 1 star.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

I have stayed here 3 time now and each time it was a good value for the money. This hotel is clean and has AC and internet in all of the rooms. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The hotel grounds are nice and right on the beach with lots of activities for the whole family. The free breakfast in the morning is great and has a mix of recognizable dishes as well as some local Costa Rican favorites. It is worth mentioning that there is no fridge in the rooms and the double bed rooms had one twin bed and one queen size bed which I thought was interesting.
Jaco is know for its night life and prostitutes who frequent many of the area hotels, all except the Best Western which does not allow it on their grounds. I highly recommend this hotel for couples and family's.

Room Tip: Only three floors but if you can; try to stay on the 3rd floor with an ocean or partial ocean view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Escazu
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

My experience at that hotel was awful, the rooms are VERY OLD. I went there twice because everybody needs a second chance but that place DON'T. The first time I went with my husband, we told the receptionist 2 nights and they locked us out of our bedroom the first day after we came back from the beach and we had to ask the maid for help, then we went to the front desk and they over charge us for the ''extra time we stayed'' we didn't. The second time I went there I did it with a cousin everything was going good till the time we went to bed at midnight, we lift the covers they all were cover with cockroaches and some kind of insects and my cousin didn't notice and she lay down and got bitten every where, there were hundreds of them. I had to get up at 1:00am to have them change our bedroom we went to a different one, but still I had to check the beds again.... I found a couple of them but I kill them and the TV SUCKS!!! That hotel is so OUTDATED!!!

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Jaco beach is closest beach from San Jose , local bus about $4.00 us, taxi ride $100.00 is ok if you have 4 people to spilt it with. There is a bus right out of Airport, not sure how often so have to ask. Taxi ride to San Jose maybe $30 us , Ride from San Jose to Jaco beach 3 hours , buses do not have A/C but for $4.00 we''ll take it. Great thing last stop for bus is at the Best Western.
1st time Best Western we were impressed not a 5 star place but clean place , rooms small but clean , Free Bfast was great so saved us $, Food in Costa Rica expensive to eat at Resturants.
Good tip they have happy hours all over and specials after 3-4pm to about 6-7 pm.Best Western is toward end of town -10 min walk. pool nice, bar and bar food very good .Hotel right on beach and nice. Hotel staff at counter could be a little more friendly, smile and say thankyou we pay your wages. we stayed there early march 2012. we would stay there again.
Jaco is know for ladies of the night but there are in the bars after 9-10 pm, we did not see much
in town a few here and there, not not bothering anyone. San Jose very crowded would only stay one night if you have to, hard to find a place to eat.not sure why there are no resturants??
Jaco lots of places to eat in town. If you time it right Bus str8 to airport about 3 hours $4.00 us tight in front of best western. good luck. Chicagoans love Costa Rica we exchanged dollars at airport - rates were to high next time just pay with dollars everyone takes them easy as 1 us = 2 Costa Rican dollar. Best Western was cheaper to exchange if needed

Room Tip: rooms on main floor near the pool were great, 2 computors with free internet were great near lobby...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Carbondale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

We stayed at the Best Western by chance. We had some trouble driving in teh mountains, and decided to go back to the beach. Shortly before we got to Jaco, we got a flat in the rental. Fortunately, there was a flat tile area, where a house used to be and pulled onto that area. I asked a young man, who was with a young woman, if he could assist us. We are in our 60's, which he did. I do not know what we would have done, if it had gone flat between the small mountain between the area we were at and Jaco. Anyway, after the mountain winding roads and the flat, we pulled into Jaco saw the Best Western,which was also recommended by Lonely Planet. It was a wonderful 3 night stay, especially since we had to wait for the rental agency to bring a new spare. The room was large and a/c was wonderful. The staff was really great in helping us with the rental car and letting us know when they arrived. They truly went out of their way. Pool could be a little deeper, but at least it was refreshing. It made the end of our stay carefree, 2 for 1 happy hour was also great. I would recommend it for the large rooms, great ac and staff.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I stayed here with my two kids who are elementary school age. We had an enjoyable stay! The beach was quiet, though a few small rocks so little ones should wear swim shoes and stay close as this is surf area and it has waves. This beach has almost no sellers on it so we were not bothered and there were very few people, it was enjoyable. The pool was warm and big enough to handle groups but we saw hardly any people except on Saturday night. The breakfast was included and was just fine, eggs, pancakes, ceral, fruit and the like-just fine for us. The hotel was kept tidy and the front gate attendant was very careful who was let in. I felt secure enought here. I did get a bit of noise from some loud talking neighbors but I am sure my kids were loud at times too so the walls aren't super thick. We had an enjoyable stay and I recommend if you get a discount rate with breakfast for several night stay. We only ran into one snotty girl working here and we just avoided her. Otherwise they were mostly helpful guys and we didn't have an issue.

Room Tip: We were booked for a slightly larger room, they offered a "standard room with a view" inst...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Jaco Beach All Inclusive Resort? Share your experiences!