Was a VERY unique and wonderful experience. This would not be for everyone (more later). The property is absolutely gorgeous and lush with plants, trees, and flowers. The infinity pool is stunning. The whole property is quiet, relaxing, and has a zen like quality to it. Everything is in stone and looks like its from another time. The days seem to go on forever and we loved it. The beach...OMG. You're taken there on this shuttle which is really more like a jungle safari, when you get there you are greeted by a lady with towels and she is also your waitress. They have cabanas and the volcanic rock beach was SO much fun for exploring. It was breath taking. Would recommend this to any adventure loving couple who wants breathtaking views, relaxation, and a doesn't mind physical activity. This was one place we felt sad to leave, and thats rare for us because we travel everywhere.
Things we loved the most:
1. The BEACH OMG- we felt like celebrities on our own private beach
2. The relaxation- time doesnt seem to exist here
3. The food- fresh and delicious, and the water was just fine
4. The scenery- amazing
5. The friendliness of the staff- the entire staff!
This trip made us fall in love with Costa RIca to the point we are thinking of purchasing a vacation home there, but Villa Caletas may not be for everyone...
Things to consider
1. If you know absolutely NO spanish, you may have some difficulty
2. You cant take your shoes off at the beach, its volcanic rock, very sharp, probably not very safe for children
3. To get to the villas it is MANY stairs. We were in 28 and had about 5 flights to climb. We're both 29 and in great shape but we busted a mild sweat by the time we reached the top.
4. The service is not 4 stars. It is probably at 3 stars. If you are American you would not be impressed with the designation of a 4 star hotel because the service is a little slow and unorganized (the pool service took FOREVER and I had to keep asking for my drinks, plus they kept running out of towels).
5.If you are overweight or not in great shape or have a disability, this place may be a challenge for you as you have to climb hills and stairs to get anywhere (although I didn't ask but of course they can probably accommodate you)...just saying this is a VERY physical vacation spot- which we personally loved.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villa Caletas, a luxury boutique hotel inspired by tropical Victorian architecture with a touch of neo-classical influence shining like a jewel among resorts, prized not only for its location, design and décor, but also for its outstanding facilities and first class service. Villa Caletas expresses a truly unique combination of mountain and seaside resort. Nestled 1150 feet above the Pacific Ocean, this unique hotel overlooks the Nicoya Gulf to the crescent beaches of Jaco, Herradura offering spectacular 360-degree panoramic views. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Splendia, Tingo, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Otel so you can book your Villa Caletas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Caletas Hotel Jaco
- Caletas Hotel Herradura
- Villa Caletas Costa Rica/Jaco