“Perfect Destination Wedding Venue in Costa Rica” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Caletas

You added Villa Caletas to your Saves list
Villa Caletas
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 km after Punta Leona | Herradura, Jaco 12358-1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Jaco
Playas del Coco, Costa Rica
“Perfect Destination Wedding Venue in Costa Rica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Villa Caletas is a wonderful boutique hotel on the Pacific Ocean in the region of Puntarenas, Costa Rica. There are about 50 rooms, villas & suites and the grounds are located high above the ocean shore with spectacular views and an infinity pool. It's a very quiet location, about a 15 minute drive north of the party town of Jaco (pronounced ha-co with the accent on co). I have attended several weddings at Villa Caletas with the ceremony on the patio overlooking the ocean and the dinner and dance inside the beautiful, air conditioned dining room. The musical group Los Mojitos performed for both the ceremony and the reception. This is a terrific venue for destination weddings or honeymoons in Costa Rica!

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Manager_Caletas, General Manager at Villa Caletas, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear Friend, thank you very much for your nice words. As you said Villa Caletas must be one of the best place to have a magic wedding in Costa Rica. Best regards. manager@villacaletas.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a visit to Villa Caletas, and we had a wonderful time. The hotel property is very lush and beautiful, with many tropical flowers and well thought out gardens and landscaping. We never saw as much as a gum wrapper on the ground, and it seemed that someone was always about, working on the grounds. The hotel plan has been well thought out to provide breathtaking views around every corner. As far as wildlife goes, we had a huge "pet" toad that visited our terrace nightly, and we saw toucans every day, as well as scarlet macaws flying by daily. There were spiders in abundance, but never where they were a nuisance to people. We also saw pretty little green poison dart frogs several times. We only went to the beach once. It was pretty, but small and rocky, and you couldn't just get up from your chair and hop in the water. We had a master suite with a private plunge pool, which we thoroughly enjoyed.
As far as friendliness of staff, we found everybody to be very friendly and helpful. It does help to remember that the workers there are working, and they won't get much done if they have to stop and personally greet everybody that walks by. If you say hello, they will, too! Any requests we had were seen to promptly (ice, etc.), and room service was fairly quick, too. We stayed in one of the master suites, and it was very nicely appointed and extremely clean. Our maid even folded a couple of shirts I left lying out! We loved the towel animals she left every day, and kept waiting for her to run out of designs, but she never seemed to! The room amenities were adequate, if a little "bare bones". For example, there was no clock radio in the room, no tea bags, no pen and paper. I am not complaining, and I am sure if I had asked, someone would have brought them, but I am accustomed to having basics like these in a room. Our only real complaint is the food, and this is the reason I gave a rating of 4 instead of 5. While the food was well prepared and tasted fine, it was not at all worth the cost. A continental breakfast of coffee, juice, toast, and pastries cost about $20.00 (for one person), and forget about free drink refills. While the food was good, I have come to expect gourmet dining for this price, and was disappointed. We found ourselves driving into Jaco for dinner every night because of this. I don't know why the hotel is charging so much for even basic meals, but they would keep more dinner business from guests if they would lower prices.
Other than the food issue, Villa Caletas was a perfect vacation spot. The views were incomparable, the hotel was clean and beautifully decorated, the staff was very nice. I advise anyone thinking of going to upgrade to a master suite with a pool if you can. You won't even want to go to the beach!

Room Tip: Master suites with private plunge pool are well worth the cost---very private and romantic with a gr...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Manager_Caletas, General Manager at Villa Caletas, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Dear frinds, thank you very much for your review. We are glad to know that you had such a great time with us. we have paid attention to your comments and will strive do all we can so you can give us the best rating you can on your next visit.
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Extraordinary sunsets. No other place in Costa Rica offers such view over the Pacific ocean. This is the perfect place to have a romantic diner. Overall, the food is very good, you won't be disapointed. Can't tell you much about the rooms since we didn't stay overnight but the hotel itself is a masterpiece of architecture. You're stay could cost you between 150$ and 1000$ a night. If you can't afford it (just like me), just take time to have a nice drink or lunch at around 5pm. You won't regret it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Friend, "Merci" for your kind words !!.
Key Largo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Our family went to Villa Caletas for cocktails and sunset. The view was unreal! We sat at a table and order a couple of appetizers and drinks. They were so good! After the sunset we decided to stay for dinner which was great. It was the best restaurant that we went to. The service was perfect, the view was amazing and the food was excellent! We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear friends, thank you for your words, it is allways a pleasure to receive guest from outside the hotel and share the wonders of Villa Caletas with them !!.
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Just returned home from a wonderful trip to Costa Rica, our first. We finished the tail end of our trip with a 2 night stay at Villa Caletas--it was too short. The purpose of our trip was primarily to explore wildlife and do as many outdoor adventure activities that we could cram into a week. I was puzzled when I read other reviews that said hotel staff was not friendly because this was not the case for us. We felt very welcomed and were always treated nicely. If you stay here you want to make sure that you rent a car--while there is more than plenty to do on the property as far as relaxing, we are an adventurous couple and drove off the property to eat several meals and take day trips (I recommend a day trip to Manuel Antonio National Park--AMAZING!). The one meal we ate at the restaurant was good but not worth the money that we paid for it. It was average food and with 3 beers and dessert, our tab was easily $100USD. That would be my first complaint. We drove 5-10 min into the nearest town (Jaco) to eat dinner the following night and saved a ton of money. The only other complaint is the wireless did not work in our room like it was said to. This is not a huge deal as we were on vacation and didn't have wireless access at the hotel we had come from BUT if it is a said amenity, I think it should be available regularly (I read in other reviews that it didn't work for others). Again this is a minor complaint as it was kind of nice to not worry about what was going on at home.

Now for my favorite thing about this hotel: if you are into wildlife this is such an amazing place. Everytime we returned to our room from a meal or outing, there was various wildlife around our villa to greet us--Toucans, frogs, coatis, hummingbirds, etc. always in the trees/bushes surrounding our balcony. I wish I had more time to sit on our balcony and enjoy this but we were always on the go. We got some great pictures. The one thing I was dying to see on our trip was the endangered Scarlet Macaw. When we arrived on the first day I heard this noisy squawking while we were enjoying the pool (also beautiful) and was convinced they were near-by. Sure enough with my listening skills and binoculars I spotted them in the canopy overlooking the cliffs of the hotel. It was incredible. My boyfriend and I watched them fly around for over an hour while waiting for the sunset. This was probably my favorite moment in Costa Rica.

Aside from the average food and high prices, this place really exceeded my expectations. Our room was incredible and very clean as was our private jacuzzi on the balcony. I read reviews saying they were dirty but ours was in perfect condition. Also I was terrified of the bug situation but never had an issue with this either. Sure there are tons of spiders outside but this is to be expected given the surroundings. If you are looking for a resort to enjoy the view and relax this is the place to be. Otherwise rent a car so you can have both adventure and a chance to relax. I would definitely stay here again and would add in another day to check out their private rainforest hike down to the beach and enjoy some more balcony time to watch the birds.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear friends, thank you very much for your comments. It is true that wildlife is part of the Villa Caletas experience, Coaties, toucans, Macaws and so many others are here everyday to prove you right. Best regards. manager@villacaletas.com
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I set out to find a mini Yoga retreat destination to fill a weekend while in CR on business. I found Villa Calletas and the Zephyr Palace. I had no idea what I was really about to experience. In short: the most amazing, affordable, priceless experience I have ever had. I have been all over the world, in many many many lodges, villas, resorts. Villa Calletas is one top of my list with mall variables of consideration.

Go meet Roy. See what he has created. It is a gift to us, that we should receive, and pass along.

Thor

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Dear Friend, thank you very much for your nice comments. We hope to see you soon back with us. Best regards. manager@villacaletas.com
philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Tripadvisor wasn't around when we visited Costa Rica to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, so although this review is very, very delayed, I wanted to share our experiences with you nonetheless.

One of my husband's colleagues suggested that we stay for a night or two at Villa Caletas on our visit to Costa Rica. He did inform us that it was pricey, but worth it. Boy was he right! Our room with balcony overlooking the rainforest down to the ocean was amazing. My first experience in an infinity edged pool was Villa Caletas - heavenly. But what will forever be imprinted in my memory was the spectacular sunset experience my husband and I had at Villa Caletas. The setting is exquisite - a mini amphitheater, with columns, overlooking the ocean.
While soft, new age music played, with drink in hand, we sat in the amphitheater and watched as the colors of the sky progressively changed as the sun was setting. I truly felt as though I was in heaven - really.

If you have a chance to visit Villa Caletas, don't miss the chance.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Friends, we are glad to know that time has left just great memories of your stay with us.
We hope to see you soon back with us.
Best regards. manager@villacaletas.com

Been to Villa Caletas? Share your experiences!