“Large spread out complex” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel & Club Punta Leona
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Blanca | Punta Leona, Jaco 1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #16 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
“Large spread out complex”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This might be great for some but it's not my kind of place. They did a great job environmentally by keeping the large trees and the rooms are nestled in small buildings spread around the property. Some have porches with chairs, others do not so ask about your room if you want a porch. You do have to wear a wristband and the use the cheap uncomfortable kind so have them do it loosely so you can take it off when not needed. Everything is a far walk but they have a shuttle service that runs every 30 minutes but I prefer not to spend my vacations on shuttle buses. The beaches are very nice and they rent everything from chairs to scuba equipment. Each of the room areas has a dining facility and pool. You can hear lots of birds and see monkeys - they came by today at breakfast - the white faced ones. Shower floors are slippery and they don't provide shampoo. They do not have AC vents in the bath so it is quite warm in there and there is not a lot of room to hang wet towels. They encourage reuse of towels but don't really provide the space for more than one person's towels to hang to dry. There are lots of excursions available from the hotel so you can easily find lots to do. Meals are served buffet style and were ok - not a lot of choices for vegetarians though. I am getting tired of rice and beans.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Bernarda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel & Club Punta Leona, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Guest. Thank you for your feedback. We regret that the place was not what you expected but we are happy to know that you enjoyed the beach and the nature around us. Indeed our property is quite extensive but for customers who do not want to wait for the Shuttle Service, we offer the possibility to rent golf carts to move from one point to another within the property. We will consider your comments on the space to hang towels in the bathroom and we will try to improve in this regard. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed at this property with Collette Tours. A/C, TV, wifi in rooms, in room safe. Rooms nice but very small. No A/C in bathroom and windows did not close all the way, so it felt like a sauna. Bed & pillows good. Need to wear a wristband as it is all inclusive. Propety is very spread out and a golf cart can be rented or there is a shuttle that will take you to the beach. There are shuttle stops through out the property and the shuttle only runs certain hours. The rooms are split into areas that have around 10 rooms to a pod, which is name for a Latin American country. Our group was in "Panama", which was all the way at the back of the property. Bring insect repellent. There are two pools, the main one is by Playa Blanca and the smaller pool is near "Panama" and Carabella restaurant. There are lots of scheduled activities. Also a nature walk, where you can see a Scarlet Macaw. There is also a butterfly "farm". Breakfast buffet at Carabella's - very good. Great selection of food and a chef cooking omelettes.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Panama
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed recently at Punta Leona (Selva Mar) with a group and both my clients and myself were very pleased with the hotel facilities and the service, the food is very good but specially we had a wonderful diner-party at Playa Blanca Restaurant.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is the type of place that haunts me in my sleep. I'm fairly new to traveling and didn't know what I was getting myself into. After a 3 night stay tucked away on a beautiful organic farm in the rainforests of Arenal, I was shuttled to Punta Leona. I felt like I was in Florida.. Old fat Americans, tacky spas, and horribly themed beaches. It felt like a resort with some tropical landscaping, not a hotel in the tropics. If you're the type of person who pays $1000 to visit a country and wants to bypass all the culture and nature and just gorge on food and drink then I suppose this is for you. To me this is absolutely heinous, and I am never staying at one of these resorts again.

Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Tampa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We recently stayed one night at the Hotel & Club Punta Leona and were disappointed with the whole experience. We thought it would be a good place to stay on our last night near Jaco before flying out of San Jose the following day. It's just over an hour drive to the airport. Our first indication that it wasn't what we expected was that it's a 5-10 minute drive from the main highway back to the hotel. Everything was spread out and not within walking distance to anything else on the property. When we arrived to check in, we were given orange paper wrist bands to wear in order to get the included breakfast buffet in the morning. I've been to plenty of hotels that offered a complimentary breakfast and was never required to wear a wrist band 24 hours a day. I removed mine when we got to our room because I hate the way things feel on my wrist . The rooms are set up like pods attached to one another. It was clean, had a small refrigerator and decent beds. There was no AC in the bathroom which was like walking into a sauna. We decided to eat dinner at the nearest restaurant on the property because it would have been a long drive to the nearest town and was getting dark. When we arrived at the restaurant on site, I was turned away because I didn't have my "wrist band" on. So we walked back to the room and got my wrist band. When we returned to the restaurant, the server said we could get the buffet which was $22 a person or order off of the a la cart menu. We said the menu would be fine. He then said if we didn't have a reservation for the a la cart portion of the restaurant, it would be a 2 hour wait because they were full. We were ready to walk out when he said he would call and see if he could get us in. After a phone call, he walked us to another part of the restaurant which was completely empty (even though he had just said it was full). I ordered the pasta and the waiter said they didn't serve the pasta on that day. So I ordered a chicken dish with mushrooms, but received the grilled chicken instead. The food was good, but a confusing and odd experience. I will say the breakfast was very good. The best thing about the hotel was the wildlife. We saw several scarlet macaws, toucans and groups of white faced monkeys in the trees. Overall, I would not recommend this hotel. Not worth the money and trouble.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I Visited this place for 2 nights and 3 days all inclusive and I tought that all inclusive ment all inclusive , it turns out that the only beer you can drink is Imperial and only from a paper cup .
The food was ok ,the Pizza is very good along with the Breakfast buffet .

I recommend you rent a golf cart to get around the complex a lot faster then waiting for the shuttle.

The beaches are very beautiful and clean with security and life guards along with free snorkel and othe water sports all in all was a great time.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
costa rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2015

I was with our team in one day team building activity, the installation are pretty good all is confortable. . There are Supermaket, Catholic Church, baths rooms . The food is very good I suggest to go Playa Blanca its so beautiful. Its a place very familiar very safe and to close San Jose

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel & Club Punta Leona? Share your experiences!