“A bit like an Costa Rican version of Center Parcs” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel & Club Punta Leona
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Blanca | Punta Leona, Jaco 1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #16 of 42 Hotels in Jaco
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A bit like an Costa Rican version of Center Parcs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I had one weekend in Costa Rica on a work trip, which I wanted to spend on a beach and a colleague recommended this place.

It's a bit of a holiday camp, with a hotel facility as well as apartments, I suppose it's a bit like Center Parcs in Europe.

The place is pretty big - it's around a 15 minute drive from the main gate to the reception.

My room was quite basic - but I was only paying a small amount, so was to be expected really. And I was only there to sleep, so this wasn't really an issue for me. The free wifi didn't quite stretch to my room (being near to the end of the row of rooms), but worked as soon as I stepped outside.

The place is visually spectacular, which many people here have commented on. You're in the middle of a forest with spectacular trees and other fauna. And you're also right on the beach. I spent my first day on Playa Blanca which really is lovely. White sand which comes straight out from the forest. The photos here I got, especially at sunset were amazing! One tip though - they don't do towel hire here ... make sure you get that at the pool!

I spent the second day at the pool, as I was leaving (note there is a kids pool and an adult pool!). Some amazing wildlife here - saw some huge iguanas, squirrels and macaws. Pool is well maintained and was a perfect cool off dip in the really hot sun.

The highlight of the weekend was definately the monkeys. Breakfast is quite amusing, watching in anticipation as they get closer and attempt to steal food, whilst the waiters are shoo-ing them off. As well as telling customers off, who leave precariously bananas around the place :-)

Food here wasn't fantastic - but I suppose a lot of people are here in apartments and cook their own food.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Bernarda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel & Club Punta Leona, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you very much for your positive comments. We are glad to hear that we receive customers like yourself who appreciate nature, our services and the simple things of life which are priceless. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed things like seeing a show of monkeys, relax on a spectacular white sand beach, spend some time just watching a pair of macaws flying free, admire the iguanas walking slowly into the property, see squirrels climbing trees and butterflies showing their different colors.
Also we are glad to know that you could capture excellent photos of our property and the spectacular sunsets to bring as memories of your trip to Costa Rica. We look forward to serving you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

The resort is very nice on an extremely big property, they have shuttles that take you to where you need to be at. Walking distance from Playa Blanca which is very nice and we spent a lot of time at. Extremely Scenic area as all of Costa Rica is. The food is good, although after a week the lack of variety shows. I had one of the best pizzas ever at the snack bar at this resort that I still have not forgotten. We found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating. We spent a lot of time on different tours around Costa Rica so we were quite busy. You can also take a bus or taxi into Jaco which is a surf town. On New Years Eve they had a big gala/party with a very big international buffet, live music, dancing and fireworks, we had a great time mingling with other guests on the resort and eating/drinking.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bernarda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel & Club Punta Leona, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you very much for your feedback. We are pleased that your stay with us was pleasant and that you enjoyed all the amenities of our hotel and the natural beauty that surrounds us. It was a pleasure to serve you and hope you have the opportunity to visit again.
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I just came back from a holiday with my family in beautiful Costa Rica. I felt compelled to write this review, my first review on Trip Advisor, to spare other international travellers the unpleasant experience of Punta Leona, Hotel and Club. Please bear with the long description. I wanted to convey the extent of my disappointment with this place.

Our experience with the "hotel" (in quotes because they seem to cater primarily to the club members / condominium owners) began when we arrived in mid-afternoon, shortly before the official check-in time. Check-in was complicated and we did not feel warmly welcomed by the staff at the counter. Another guest (apparently a condo owner) was waiting behind us, with thinly veiled impatience at our casual vacation demeaner and tempo. This was the first clash between the happy go lucky vacationing tourist and the stressed, blasé members glued to their smart phone and apparently insensitive to the beauty that surrounds them.

Since they refused to give us our keys until the official check-in time (even though I am sure our rooms were ready, being off season and one of the few tourists), we headed out to one of the restaurants to have lunch. After a lenghty wait and having to inquire with the head waiter about our food, our unappetizing plates arrived. Fast food quality at restaurant prices. Noise level almost unbearable in the restaurant, thanks to a television blasting a soap opera and in the background, disco music at the pool-side bar and screams of children around the pool. We had to get up to ask the head waiter again to get our bill, after waiting in vain for another 20 minutes, then wait again to have the bill corrected as they had overcharged us. Overall, we were almost 2 hours in this noisy restaurant with cheap, sticky plastic chairs and tables, eating tasteless greasy food, surrounded by club members who looked bored out of their minds and stared at us as if we were a clan of strange monkeys... So much for first impressions...

We then retrieved our keys and went to our rooms, accessible through a muddy construction zone (towards the end of our stay we figured out a short cut to avoid the construction zone - hotel staff had neglected to hand us this useful tip). Our rooms (which were supposed to be "superior") were Ok, with small beds, bland decor and more on the small size, especially if more than 2 people are staying in the room. Later, we were to find out that the water pressure was inexistant in the showers. Some rooms have a siting area outside but not ours. Upon our arrival, there was no electricity. After fumbling in the dark for a while, we called the reception who informed us that indeed, that section of the resort was experiencing an outage, something they could have mentioned when we retrieved our keys... We subsequently read on Trip Advisor that such outage is frequent - hence the candle and matches in the room. From thereon, our experience remained consistently mediocre.

In summary: security guards everywhere make you feel like you are in a compound, some pools full of leaves and all are very chrlorinated (I did not swim but could smell walking by), beach and walkways not very tidy, beach chairs dirty and too few given number of people (and tied together with a chain, preventing you from relocating the chair in the sun or the shade), advertised activities unavailable (e.g. about 2 butterflies in the butterfly garden), food is insipide bordering on the gdisgusting in the only restaurant where you can eat if you bought a package, questionable environmental practices (we saw ground keepers fumigate the gardens and the land is slowly being eaten away by new development while existing properties are not all being well maintained). The only redeeming elements: the beautiful trees throughout the property and the wonderful Playa Blanca (2+ kilometers from our room, with a shuttle that runs nominally every 30 minutes - but in reality more like every 45-60 minutes on week days).

But at the beech, we experienced the worse: when I asked to rent a kayak, one of the advertised activities, the attendant points me to a pedalo. I clarify that I want a kayak, pointing to the picture on the rental sign and the kayak lying on the beech next to the pedalos. The attendant repeats that there are no kayaks for rent and gives me a price for the pedalo rental. I inquire about SUP rental, since this is also advertised - same answer. I relate the information to our driver, a Costa Rican who then goes to inquire about the rental, on his own. He comes back indicating that indeed kayaks are available for rental and that the pedalos are cheaper than what I was quoted. We ended up renting kayaks and having fun, however the experience left me with a bad taste.

Overall, we tried to make the most of our stay in this mediocre "hotel" that seems to have seen better days. To sell this as a luxury resort amounts to false advertising. Unfortunately, this was the end of our Costa Rican holiday during which we stayed at wonderful hotels, ate great food, visited beautiful natural sites, and encountered helpful and friendly staff. If you want the best of what Costa Rica has to offer, go elsewhere, like Hotel Playa Espadilla near the entrance of Manuel Antonio park. A little gem with amazing meals in the evening. Or anywhere else really, since it probably does not get much worse than Punta Leona.

I sincerely hope this was helpful to you. Pura vida!

Room Tip: Run... Don't even think twice of staying there!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest , thank you for taking the time to write a comment so extensive and we regret all the inconveniences described . It is very important for us to receive feedback from our guests whether they are good or not so good since it is the only way to correct and clarify the points listed .
In reference to the service offered to our guests , I would like to start by clarifying that we area indeed a Hotel and Club but we make no distinction as to our services since for us all customers who visit us are important.
Check in time at the hotel is at 3:00 pm and even in low season we have a very high occupancy since we are a preferred destination. On many occasions we are unable to deliver room before the check in time because our rooms are being cleaned. However guests can request that they store the luggage at reception so they can enjoy all the amenities of our hotel.

We are a family friendly hotel so this means that there will be kids and activities plan for them , but our property is so extense that this should not be a problem for other customers . We apologize if the wait at the restaurant was longer than usual and we recevied many international customers from all over the world and we see no reason why you felt that they look at you differently.
Our rooms are comfortable and the Superior Selvamar rooms are recently renovated but they are not deluxe rooms and at no time we advertise ourselfs as a luxury hotel. We are a 3 star hotel oriented to the nature lovers and families. Due to the area where we are located, sometimes we can experience electricity outages but usually these are not long lasting . The safety of our guests is a priority for us so we maintain adequate security personnel in all areas especially in the area of access to our property . Our property is surrounded by nature and beauty and Playa Blanca, our white sand beach calls for rest and relaxation. We regret that this was not your case and we are sorry that we did not meet your expectations.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

This place it's huge! Its about 2 miles from the front gate to the reception area. A cab from the airport costs about 100 US including 3 tolls and takes approx 1.5hrs
Once on the property, there's a shuttle which runs daily to take you around from the pools to the beach to the restaurants.
However, if u want to leave the resort and didn't rent a car or motorcycle and you need a cab, DONT ask GUILLERMO at the front desk. He will RIP you off. He's nice and all but he has his "buddy" come pick you up and charges $45US to go to Jaco that's only 12 miles away~ one way! Our cab ride back from a regular cab guy only cost $20US.
Other than that, everyone is extremely pleasant and most people at the resort speak English.. Once you're off the resort though, I highly recommend having someone who speaks Spanish or have a translator app with you.
Alex at the butterfly house is extremely knowledgeable. The guys at the canopy zipline were extremely friendly and funny. Theres a server who works at 2 of the restaurants, I believe his name is Branson who gives absolutely superb service.
There are 3 places to eat~ 1 down by playa blanca over looking the water, 2 down by the pool~ sooo recommend the whole fried snapper~ AMAZE BALLS!!! 3 the carabella which is a healthy buffet style place where you sit by the monkeys in the am. They will try and steal your food! Also, at night, carabella upstairs has "fine dinning" and you can order ala carte. The foods ok. The fresh fruit in the buffet was awesome- pineapple, guava, anos? Which is a soft creamy fruit. Man, wish I could get some here!
PURA VIDA!!!

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Guest, thank you very much for describing your experience at our hotel . It is very important for us to know what our clients think about the quality of our services and improve any area that might need it. We are pleased to know that the service of our staff was plesant and that you enjoyed the food at our restaurants. We will forward your comments to our guide Alex who loves to share his knowledge with our guests. As for the service of Guillermo at the front desk, we will make sure that he will have more economical options for the trasportation to Jaco. We hope you can visit us again.
San Jose
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Punta Leona is located very close from San José. It has a great mixture of nature and comfort, great place to do sports as well as sleep and have a close encounter with nature. Great if you are traveling with kids.

Room Tip: If you can, try to get a room close to the parking lot
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Bernarda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel & Club Punta Leona, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear guest, thank you for your review. We're glad you enjoyed our hotel and the nature that surrounds us. We are a hotel focused on the conservation and entertainment for the whole family. I hope you visit us again..
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Virtually self-contained property. Has a market, 3 restaurants, 2 beaches and several tours. They are building more rooms currently. I was concerned, reading prior reviews. Those reviews appear to be 6 years old. The property is up to date and currently being expanded. Beds were ok, rooms were clean. In fact, the entire property was constantly being cleaned and improved. Don't misunderstand...it's not Disney ! P.S.- dont ask for directions to the airport at the desk.

Room Tip: Rooms are all similar
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bernarda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel & Club Punta Leona, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you very much for your comments and for the description of our property. Indeed our constant efforts are to maintain our installations clean and in good conditions and to make sure that our guests can enjoy their vacations comfortably. We hope you visit us again.
Gaithersburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

This place is incredible. We stayed in the jungle area and ate at the restaurant there. We had monkeys that came around at breakfast and were the "entertainment". We loved it! There were plenty of trails, zip line, pools, 2 beaches and so much more! Plenty activities for the entire family. They even give night tours so tourist can see the critters that come out at night. Definitely a place for photographers or videographers!

It is located convenient to many towns set back over a mile back into the woods with a secure entrance. We definitely felt safe and would go back again!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bernarda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel & Club Punta Leona, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you very much for such great comments. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the wonderful nature that surrounds us and thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you. Our goal is to satisfy customers and we hope that you visit us again.

Been to Hotel & Club Punta Leona? Share your experiences!