“The wildlife made it great.” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel & Club Punta Leona
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Blanca | Punta Leona, Jaco 1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #16 of 42 hotels in Jaco
SW, Ontario
“The wildlife made it great.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

The Pacific is as warm as bath water. I can't figure out how a large body of water can be that warm. It was startling.
We went zip lining. It was fun to try.
We saw white faced monkeys, a three toed sloth, large iguanas, a few toucans and many scarlet macaws. But the one animal that wanted to make friends with me was a coati. (I think that's what it was.) I was sitting by the pool and opened a package of chocolate covered peanuts. Out of the corner of my eye, I sensed movement behind me. I turned around and there was a racoon like animal with a pointy snout and monkey tail. I was startled. I jumped up and threw a banana peel towards him. He sniffed it but looked up and moved toward me. I moved away and clapped my hands to scare him off. This drew the attetion of everyone around the pool and the cameras came out. Someone else gave him some food and he disappeared up the tree behind me.

The story should be finished right. About an hour or more later, I remembered the chocolate covered peanuts. I reached into my beach bag and pulled out the package and ate a couple when I reached to get a couple more to my surprise, that silly teddy bear like creature was beside me with a look that said, "You wanna share those with me, don't you?" I'm thinking I know nothing about this animal and don't want to find out the hard way that I should beware, so I jumped up and walked to the other side of the pool eating my chocolate covered peanuts and threw the empty wraper in the garbage can. My guess is that he learned that the crinkling sound of packaging means there is a yummy treat to be had. He was cute and shy though.
The bird watching hike was really good. The guide knew what he was talking about and showed us multiple birds. There was a serious birder in our small group and he was thrilled to add a few new birds to his life list.
The rooms were very basic, but the grounds and pool were nice.
We loved watching the monkeys play as we ate breakfast. One morning we got to the restaurant early and a monkey snuck into the nearest table and stole the sugar packages. He shared them with his friends. (Note to self: Add photo of monkey with sugar.)

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bernarda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel & Club Punta Leona, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Guest. Thank you very much for your great comments. We appreciate the time you took to write in detail your experience at our hotel and we are filled with joy to know that visitors like you appreciate nature. Part of the magic of our hotel is that people who visit us can have the opportunity to admire the many species that live in our forests and that wander around the complex. We are glad you spend a relaxing time at Hotel & Club Punta Leona and we look forward to welcome you again.

442 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Only stayed for one day/night.
Had not done any "canopy" tours and this was our last day. Did the one they offered at their "sale price", it was totally fun and well worth it. Enjoyed lunch over looking Playa Blanca and had some great snorkeling there afterwards. Got to see a monkey invasion at breakfast. That was great.
I also had not seen any of the Blue Morpho butterflies during our trip, so even though they were bred and captive, it was fun to walk through their butterfly garden.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at the hotel. We are pleased to know that our canopy tour was fun and that you enjoyed the beach and the beautiful nature that surrounds us. It was a pleasure to have you staying with us and we hope you visit us again.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The service in the reception is horrible. The manager Jose was rude and confrontational. I can see more than one complain about this manager in the reviews. I'm glad to see that more that one person has reported this person. Also the service in the bar was just as bad with the bartender. I'm extremelY dissapointed overall with the poor service your staff is running. Please take our opinions in consideration.

• Stayed August 2013
Bernarda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel & Club Punta Leona, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear Guest, we are truly sorry that your experience at Hotel & Club Punta Leona was not as pleasant as expected.
We have being working hard to improve and solve any problems that have been reported by our guests. Our goal is to provide our customers with the best service and ensure that all our staff follow the same objective. Hopefully you will come back again and we can show you the difference. Thank you for your comments.
Heredia, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Just spent the weekend here and it was a great experience, specially for the kids. This is a quite old hotel but very well taken care of. Rooms, if a bit on the small side, are comfortable, very clean and well maintained. Food was excellent, beach and pools are very good, the butterfly farm was a nice short attraction, everyone is caring and friendly... The highlight was definitely nature, even for us, costaricans who are used to nature, being surrounded by rain forest and all kind of animals was impressive. Walking on a trail under the trees, you really don't feel it's 95F out there, and the "Carabelas" restaurant, which was built respecting its original setting, was an experience in itself. The only minor complaints would be with 1- the pillows, we only had one per person and it was a bit thin and 2- parking space was scarce in our section... but really not a deal breaker at all. At only 2hrs from home, I'll definitely take the kids again here.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Bernarda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel & Club Punta Leona, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and for your excellent comments. We are very pleased that you liked our hotel, the food, the beach and all the amenities that we offer. In regards to the pillows, in your next visit just contact the front desk and we will gladly get you more if needed.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed at Punta Leona Resort last week of July 2013 and after reading the reviews , I was kinda concerned. But, it surpassed my expectations. People are so kind and nice and friendly.
Starting my entry to Costa Rica - I met a nice Taxi driver Lester. He gave me a very good deal to drive us to the Resort. He was v nice. The room at the hotel was BEAUTIFUL!! The beds were fine, the room was nice, the balcony was superb and it was clean and house keeping was promptly done! I have 0 complaints. The staff was v friendly and helpful and nice, especially Beatrice...
The shuttle drivers were so nice - they wud just stop if they saw us walking anywhere and take you there...especially Marco. The Tour guide, Alex, was very knowledgeable and informative and he is the person to reach out to abt any information on tours - speaking of which I highly recommend the 'Crocodile Man Tour'. They are the locals - Louis - actually got down and fed the crocodile - which was "wow"! They patiently showed us a lot of crocodiles and birds.

The Resort had a lot of animals and birds around and the beaches were breath-taking..
The bird-watching tour with Alex and the Butterfly tour and the Night walk are a must-do. Food was fine, loved the fresh fruits everyday. Pools are nice too.

We loved everything! We would love to go back!

Room Tip: The Selvamar - Superior Rooms have a balcony - which is v nice. Had my morning cup of tea there and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest, it fills us with satisfaction to read your comments and know that you enjoyed your vacation in Costa Rica. We always look to please our guests so they can relax during their stay and explore the lush nature that surrounds us. We will forward your comments to our staff as it is important for them to know that their work is appreciated. We hope you will visit us again.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hotel Punta Leona and am not sure what the negative reviews are about. The room was clean and well looked after daily by housekeeping. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful.

There is alot to do and see without even leaving the grounds. I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Bernarda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel & Club Punta Leona, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments and we are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay at Punta Leona so you could form your own impression of our hotel. Unfortunately there are some malicious clients that write negative comments that do not show the reality of the hotel. Our goal is to provide the best service to our customer so they can enjoy the natural beauty that surrounds us.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

The ONLY positive experience was from the receptionist named "Karla', she was polite, informative and very helpful upon leaving the hotel. She should be promoted to Manager instead THE NIGHT MANAGER, named Jose C.He was totally rude, unapologetic and ignorant. His actions after I complained were of an aggressive jerk. I stayed at the Hotel and Club Punta Leona last Saturday and the service and communication at the Carabellas Restaurant was horrible. My family and I waited patiently in line for close to 10 minutes and when we were next to be seated, we were told to get out of line and move to the side near a register. We stood there for 5 minutes and asked what was the hold up was with negative results. Finally, after another 5 minutes we complained and left abruptly without eating there. I then when to the night manager, Jose C to complain because I poor service and he did not listen and defended his employees. He was again rude, unapologetic, ignorant and he even tried to get in my face at another restaurant in front of my family instead of speaking to me alone like a grown man. He does not have any customer service skills and I will NEVER go to this hotel nor recommend this place. His threats did not scare me and he needs to be replaced.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bernarda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel & Club Punta Leona, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Guest, we appreciate when our customers take the time to write their comments, as long as these are written in a constructive and non-offensive way. We apologize for your wait to wait to eat at the Carabelas Restaurant but sometimes, due to high occupancy the wait time can be between 10 and 15 minutes which is normal in many restaurants during peak season. Our staff is always trying to give the best service to all customers and I can assure you that our intention has always being to serve you and make your stay pleasant, not to confront you.

Been to Hotel & Club Punta Leona? Share your experiences!