“Did not like this hotel...” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel & Club Punta Leona
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Blanca | Punta Leona, Jaco 1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #15 of 42 hotels in Jaco
New jersey
“Did not like this hotel...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

hated the room: small, depressing, outdated, windows are old, can hear conversations in other rooms, windows face the walks/paths..no privacy..have to keep curtains closed for privacy..and get no light, no balcony in the room...I have never seen such tiny rooms in a resort. thevroom feels like a barrack. not enough lounge chairs on the beach...ridiculous...the hotel cant buy enough plastic chairs? breakfast is late 7 pm..cant get coffee anywhere before ( a lot of tours start at 7:30 am...no time to eat). helpdesk was not helpful: asked about mailing out our purchases..no clue, asked about recommendations for stores selling pottery..no clue. The helpdesk is short-staffed. they need to get their act together on organozation if care and buy these plastic lounge chairs..so you do not feel like a scavenger after paying money for your rest.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bernarda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel & Club Punta Leona, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thanks for visiting Hotel & Club Punta Leona and for taking the time to write your review. We regret that our hotel has not filled you expectations and although we are not a luxury hotel we believe that we have all the amenities and services for our customers to enjoy a pleasant stay. Our rooms Selvamar Standard or Superior are not small, but for customers who want to stay in spacious rooms we have other options as our apartments and condominiums. Breakfast hours are from 7:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. but if customers are taking a one day tour they may request a boxed breakfast. Our staff is ready to provide all the information that customers request and we will investigate why in your case it was not given properly. We will consider your feedback to improve any aspect that needs to be address .

437 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Burlington, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We had a wonderful relaxing time at the resort. Yes, it is a very large place, but that was one of the reasons we chose to go there. Mainly for the wildlife that could be enjoyed throughout the resort. The lush tropical feel, and the beautiful beaches. We found the beaches to be calm and relaxing. However, when we first arrived it was during the weekend and we were unable to find a lounge chair until Monday. Usually we like to spread our time out between the beach and pools, however both pools by the beach were full of children. Never been to a resort where the adult pool allowed children, so we just avoided the pools. There is a pool up in the Selvamar section, but is is very small, and in the shade. We did not find the long walk from the rooms to the beach to be too bad. We actually enjoyed the exercise. However, it was not a walk I was wanting to take at night to get down to the only bar. Way out of the way for that. We only do all inclusive vacations and we found this resort seemed to avoid your table at meals if you were wearing a band. We always tipped, but I believe the staff must be asked to avoid the bands. We only like to have one drink before dinner, a coffee in the morning, but it was very difficult to get one. We always had to go get someone's attention to get service. Others had the same problem. This has never happened to us on an all inclusive vacation before. We never avoid resorts with children because we have never had a problem. Here the children's pool was located right in front of the only bar, so it was very loud, not a bar we liked to relax in.
The buffet was the smallest I have ever seen. The selection was very, very limited. We have stayed in over a dozen resorts, and I was very surprised to see the tiny buffet here. But since we are not big eaters, we did not go hungry.
Our meal at the Grill was very good, but make sure you book it for over at the Playa Blanca otherwise you will find yourself in the same restaurant for your grill dinner.
This is a non smoking resort, so if you smoke, you must book elsewhere. Costa Rica has changed their smoking bylaws, so there are limited places to smoke. Unfortunately for the smokers at this resort, they were not told that there were no designated smoking areas, and they were constantly told to butt out. Apparently you can only smoke on the street. One couple informed us that they were asked to butt out even on the beach, after being told they could smoke there. People we met at the airport said their resorts did have designated smoking areas, so go to a resort that allows smoking in designated areas with ashtrays. It was sad to see the cigarette buts on the street because the Punta Leona will not put out ashtrays.
Pros-weather, beach, tropical forest, wildlife, (monkey's at breakfast were my favorite), bird watching tour with Alex.
Cons-pools too busy, location of bar, service, buffet, balconies were not private, some were right on walkway, some faced right into other rooms within 3 foot distance. there were only a couple of balconies that had some privacy located in the cuba section.

Room Tip: if staying in the selvamar section I would suggest to get a room with a balcony, and only one that f...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bernarda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel & Club Punta Leona, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
We are glad that you enjoyed the natural resources that surround Hotel Punta Leona! We are very proud to be one of the few places whose beaches have a Blue Flag certification, which guarantees that our guests will enjoy one of the cleanest,safest and most beautiful beaches in Costa Rica. We agree with you that there are some areas that we need to improve and we also know that we need to continue training our human resources, the good news is that we have already initiated the process of continuous improvement. We hope you can visit us again in the near future so you can enjoy not only the beautiful natural resources that we offer but also the service you deserve.
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

The rooms are cheaply furnished but sufficient. The beds and pillows are not very comfortable but good enough. The room was very clean maids do an excellent job. Not too many bugs as they sprayed before we arrived, I always put a wet facecloth over the shower drain to prevent bugs. I put some wet toilet paper to block spaces in the bottom corners of the outside door. There is no entertainment except for karaoke on Saturday they have a stage just no animation team. The bar was nice and Ricardo makes the best drinks this place should give that guy a raise and make sure they hang on to him he is one of their only saving graces. The food at the buffet was filler that's it. It only consisted of 6 hot items in the steam table, a grill with 1 meat choice of the day, a salad bar and a dessert table. It had the same veg almost everyday boiled zucchini. We ate at the a la carte at the buffet which was a joke. It moves different days it might be better at the Playa Blanca. They limit you to one app so you can't get soup and a Caesar salad only one I ordered the tortilla soup and my wife ordered the Caesar salad. The salad was still wet when they added the dressing so it was a mess, the soup was pretty good. The churrasco steak that I ordered (I wish I took a pic) with 2 sides creamed spinach and grilled veg. was more than half fat and gristle they should have trimmed this it was a joke which should have never left the kitchen. The grill veg was the zucchini from the steam table and was put on my plate without the obvious use of a slotted spoon because my steak was swimming in it, which waiter spilled all over his arm and stomach while preparing to place the plate down. I was going to send it back but for what, they don't really speak English here so there is a severe lack of understanding, I had half of my wife's ridiculously sized burger which was pretty good. When the waiter asked how my almost uneaten steak was (I asked for med rare but I got well done) I told him sarcastically it was the best steak I ever had and I don't know if he got it or he just didn't care because it was obvious. The pub grub at the beach and main area of the resort was good it's where we ate most of the time. The resort is so awkwardly and inconveniently spread out and the shuttles are not dependable. We were at the bar for karaoke night and left around 12:30 am and we were told on 2 different occasions the shuttles run until 1 am. We went to the front desk to get a shuttle and were told sorry no shuttle. They were hosting a wedding at the beach so they over extended themselves and basically didn't care about their guests need for a shuttle (I guess I was a guest didn't feel like one though). So we trekked the 15 min walk in the dark back to our room, nice thanks a lot guys really appreciate it considering I heart condition. The shuttle takes 15 min to get to the beach and they only have 40 loungers which are all chained up (same at the pool) along the stretch of the whole beach 5 here 15 there 10 there. Snorkeling right off the beach was nice not much coral but a lot of fish, big parrot fish, puffer fish (the yellow ones are pregnant), moray eels and a sea turtle which was rare at this time of year. There are only 7 umbrellas at the adult pool and I use that loosely there really is no adult pool because they don't care children are everywhere in the adult pool and the lifeguard is right there, whatever the attitude of this resort is whatever. Only 1 waitress asked me if I would like a drink with dinner the whole time we were there which I got the impression was to save money since the restaurant bars close in between meals so if you are at the pool by the buffet no drinks, nice plan it doesn't make the resort look cheap at all, oh no. The common areas and bathrooms are very clean. All of the tours are a min 2 hours trip there and 2 hours back some are 3 hours and the latest one to leave is at 8am one of them leaves at 5:30am very long day, did not go on any. It is nice to have the wildlife all around you, but the novelty wears off, go to a zoo. Overall to sum it up there is a severe lack of organization, dedication, and information at this resort which obviously points to inadequate management. How could anyone rate this a five when there is a lack of service at restaurants, waiters standing around and not engaging, no entertainment, the food was repetitive not very good no selection, rooms are sufficient but uncomfortable beds and pillows, and an unreliable shuttle system, I guess some people have low standards. We enjoyed ourselves but never felt like a valued guest, more of a nuisance you got our money and now we are stuck congratulations. Thanks to TripAdvisor I can at least share my experience here to write an honest review so I can let people know what to expect if they decide to go here.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Your comments are appreciated and they help us to make adjustments as necessary. We are a hotel whose efforts are 100% focused on the protection of nature and the projection to nearby communities. From the beginning it has been our purpose to provide an environment that allow the enjoyment of nature. Our Selvamar rooms are located in the middle of the rain forest in order to offer our guests a contact with the wide biodiversity that the property offers. This review help us to be aware of the improvements in the quality of services and we will be adjusting the processes needed so experiences like your are not repeated.
Toronto, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My girlfriend and I visited this resort in costa rica in december 2012. costa rica, is hot and humid. be prepared for this. the hotel we chose, was a great place for the money we spent. there are 2 beaches, and both are expansive and gorgeous. this is not a place you stay if walking is a problem for you, for you will walk plenty of distance from your standard room, to the front desk, to the beach, to the pool area, to the restaurants to eat. my only recommendation to anyone staying here is to rent a car for your stay, otherwise, you will walk extensively, as there isnt much to do in your room. the other beach is a shuttle bus ride away, walking to it, is only for the extremely adventurous ones. the rooms are excellent value. you have everything you need, but if size is a must for you, you may be disappointed. the rooms were clean, and cleaned thoroughly each day. there was safe in the room. the hotel offered laundry service. the coffee machine worked consistently, and there was also an in room mini fridge which came in very handy. i cannot find one complaint about the room, or service provided by this hotel. but keep in mind, to get to the main road, it will take 10 minutes by car, so be prepared, or take the shuttle. Again, getting around this resort, and the getting to the town of Jaco, or anyone else, requires a car, so, do yourself a favour, spend the money and rent a car during your trip here.
You will also notice at this resort, the locals overrun this place on the weekends, as it serves as a beach get away, and a condo travel share for some. The weekends are incredibly busy, the beach is packed, but once the weekend is over, this resort is a ghost town. My girlfriend and I were a little disappointed by this, as it quickly became very boring because there wasn't anything to do. I cannot stress enought about getting a car, and getting off the resort. I also found that the resort trips would rarely book a day trip for one person. You must book 3 or more before you can get in on one of the day trips off the resort. Unfortunately, I did not travel with the right person to this country. My travel partner doesnt like to do anything, so I was on my own, and unfortunately, I ran into this small problem trying to book a trip to one of the great day trips being offered.
If the hotel is your main concern, if you are not a fussy person when it comes to status, this is a great place. It is quiet at night...you will get the best sleep of your life. The rooms are kept immaculate clean. Not once did we have to chase the ladies cleaning the room for anything extra as they ensured the cleanliness standards were very high, and everything was provided, including, hangers, safe, towels, soap, shampoo, conditioner, coffee, and ice in freezer portion of the mini fridge.

Room Tip: Some rooms have outdoor balcony space, others don't. It's up to you what you want, but of co...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Bernarda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel & Club Punta Leona, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Guest. Thank you for your detail review. We are very glad that you liked your room and how clean it was kept everyday. Our staff works hard to ensure that the rooms are clean so our guests feel comfortable during their stay. As you describe Hotel & Club Punta Leona is an extensive property surrounded by natural beauty. It is ideal for people that enjoy walking and observing wildlife. We offer a shuttle service that will take you anywhere within the property, but if you wish to visit any of the attractions outside the property, we will also recommend to rent a car so you can have more mobility during your stay. Inside the resort we offer hiking tours, the butterfly garden, 2 beautiful beaches, 2 pools and the canopy tour but if you plan to stay several days you might want to book a one day tour ahead of time to ensure availability. We hope you can visit us again.
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Suprising to see some negative reviews. This place is a unique huge resort surrounded by jungle, features the best (and private!) beach close to San Jose and offers more wildlife than a suburban zoo, from monkeys and iguanas to parrots and tucans roaming the grounds freely. We even saw an ant eater. Accomodation is very comfortable and not expensive, given the facilities and location. The only minus are other tourists, but the place is big enough to avoid them if you want. Highly recommended, even though it means more and more tourists coming...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest, thank you for your excellent review, we are happy to know that you enjoyed the resort and the nature that surround us. Punta Leona is an extensive property where you can find plenty of wildlife and all the amenities that you need to have a great vacation. We are convenient located and we offer different types of accommodations to satisfy the different needs of our clients, so we hope that you can visit us again in the near future.
Lakewood, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Saw more wildlife here than anywhere else on our trip!!! White-faced monkeys and coatis all around the restaurant at breakfast (Fun to watch but people really shouldn't feed them the way they do...) A tree anteater was making its way across the canopy from tree to tree above our breakfast buffet. (Super Cute!!!) Lovely nesting pair of endangered scarlet macaws in the giant tree across from the butterfly house. (which was full of hundreds of the most beautiful blue morpho butterflies!) The beach is pretty and they warn you not to try to cross the rocks at high tide but they didn't warn me about the jellyfish!!! I got stung not three minutes after going in the water. (I guess thats why there was no one else swimming in spite of the hot day...fortunately they are only annoying, not leathal, and the sting went away in under an hour) Do pools instead!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Bernarda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel & Club Punta Leona, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Guest, we appreciate your comments about your recent stay at our Hotel. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed the wildlife and nature that our hotel has to offer. I regret to know that you got stung by jellyfish in the ocean but this is not a common situation and should not stop you from enjoying our beach the next time you visit us. Playa Blanca is a beautiful white sand beach and it is a very safe beach to swim. We hope you visit us again in the near future.
San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

The Punta Leona complex is ENORMOUS, like a big nature reserve. It's three miles of narrow twisting road from the main gate to the hotel. The resort consists not only of the hotel but condominiums and housing developments as well. The big plus is that it borders on Playa Blanca, one of the most beautiful beaches in Costa Rica: calm blue waters, white sand, lots of natural vegetation to provide shade. However, to accomodate all the people staying there, there are only about twenty lounge chairs on the beach so come very early or bring your own beach chairs if you don't want to sit in the sand. The problem is that the beach is about a ten-minute drive down a windy cliffside road from the lovely Selvamar complex where we stayed. Fortunately we had a car because the shuttle only runs every 30 minutes but I would prefer staying at a resort closer to the beach. There is also another beach with loud music and activities and two free-form pools. The pools are narrow and shallow and filled with little kids so there's not much room to do more than stand. However, the tropical garden Selvamar complex has a beautiful little secluded woodland pool which is much quieter and more intimate. The breakfast buffet was excellent, but the dinner buffet ranged from fair to poor (only costing $20, I guess you get what you pay for). We got the room and breakfast plan and I was so glad we didn't get the all-inclusive which would have cost $160 more per day for two. Lunch at the snack bar was about $20 for two, dinner $40 for both, plus two glasses of wine at $5 each only added up to $70 a day, a far cry from $160. (ie, Only get the all-inclusive if you think you will consume more than $50 a day in drinks per person.) The setting and beach (with scarlet macaws and lots of coatis)were so beautiful, but I can only give it an average rating because of the distance from the beach and the food at the dinner buffet. Not a luxury resort, very family-oriented, more of a do-it-yourself place than somewhere you go for great service.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bernarda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel & Club Punta Leona, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. It was a pleasure to serve you and we are delight that you enjoyed the Selvamar room and the Buffet Breakfast that is included with it. Indeed Hotel & Club Punta Leona is quite an extensive property, surrounded by nature with two beautiful beaches, one with gold sand and the other with white sand, in addition to different species from animals and birds exclusive of this area. We are a hotel oriented to the families, but mainly we are an ideal hotel for nature lovers. In our facilities couples also can enjoy activities such as canopy, the guided hiking tours, the spa and our a la carte restaurant: the Grill which is more for people that want to enjoy a romantic atmosphere. Many of our guests like to take long walks within the property but we also offer the shuttle service that take our guests from one place to another one. We are not a luxury hotel but we offer good service, comfortable rooms and spectacular locations and views.

Been to Hotel & Club Punta Leona? Share your experiences!