“Unique Place to Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Syracuse, New York
“Unique Place to Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We enjoyed staying at the Punta Leona. The grounds are lovely, the white sand beach is perfect. My best advice is to use the onsite tours that are offered with your stay--we saw more animals during tours with the naturalist at the hotel than we saw at Manuel Antonio. We tended to stay at the hotel more than we would have liked to as the long drive out to the highway on a very twisting road was daunting at night. Staff at the hotel were very lovely to us and when I thought I lost my car keys in the room, the maid was VERY helpful in trying to help me retrieve them.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bernarda L, Public Relations Manager at Hotel & Club Punta Leona, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
We are Glad to know that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel & Club Punta Leona and that you liked our facilities, the activities we offer, the attention of our staff and mainly our white sand beach. It was a pleasure to serve you and we hoped that you will visit us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Guadalajara
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

On Christmas night while we were watching YouTube videos in a Galaxy phone, someone knock on the door loudly, after opening a guy who said was part of Punta Leona staff ask us to turn the volume down because according to the Costa Rican rules no music is allow after 10pm. When I made the reservation and check in nobody mentioned anything about it, anyways I obeyed. But, they kept knocking on the door for one hour and I tried to communicate to the front desk with no answer. When they finally answered, a very arrogant guy named Ricardo Quezada, told me "get a life, just open the door", he didn't even care what I had to say, I was worry about my security because it was very loud outside and I could hear several male noises who were hitting on the door. I asked for the manager and he just said he was not available. The hitting continue for several more minutes and I called again to the front desk to ask for help, in that moment a voice outside said "police" that's when I decided I was safe to open the door. My surprise was there were 4 males with no badges, 2 of them dressed as police guys, and the other 2 with black shirts. They said they only wanted to talk but they just shouted at and threaten us. After insisting in calling to the manager, Ricardo arrived with the same arrogant attitude, not offering any help he even told us to leave the facilities at 1am knowing there was no way we could find somewhere else to sleep in such a special night. The Punta Leona staff never told us what happened, why the police and  the other guys broke into out room requesting us to leave, they just supported the corrupted and racist Costa Rican police, and offer the police our personal data. It was a very frightening experience, we were 2 girls in the middle of nowhere with 6 guys threatened us.  We didn't know what to expect or do, maybe they just wanted money. I would not recommend to stay there,the staff is brusque, unhelpful and overall they don't know how to take care of their guests. (I even recorded it, just in case).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bernarda L, Public Relations Manager at Hotel & Club Punta Leona, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Hotel & Punta Club Punta Leona is recognized for being a safe property that makes big efforts to ensure that their guests can enjoy their facilities in a family oriented and relax atmosphere. To accomplish this, we followed the norms established by the laws of the country as well as the internal regulations of the hotel, that indicate that after 10 p.m. nobody can perform activities that generate excessive noise that disturb the peace and rest of the other guests lodged within the property. Never before a situation had occurred in which a guest ignored the request of our security department to fulfill these norms. We regret your dissatisfaction but it should be understood that any customer must comply with the provisions of the hotel where he is staying for his own safety and that of the other guests.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Huge property, beautiful setting, shuttle buses to get from point A to the various others. Smaller beach and pool on the property, beautiful white sand beach (Playa Blanca) reachable by shuttle (and you'll know why you didn't walk when you take the shuttle) that runs every half hour. Butterfly garden and scarlet macaws on the property, as well as highly skilled thieving troops of monkeys and coati mundis who will get your copious, delicious breakfast faster than you can turn around and think about going for more coffee. Food was outstanding for all meals, as long as you kept a wary eye on your plate. At Playa Blanca, it's the monkeys and raccoons who covet your stuff, so leave no snack untended. Well worth the visit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Bernarda L, Public Relations Manager at Hotel & Club Punta Leona, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
We appreciate your comments and we are very glad that your enjoyed your stay with us. Our Hotel is full with natural beauty and many of the people that visit us have the opportunity to observe different types of animals and vegetation. We hope that you can visit us again.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

As this was my first visit to Costa Rica, I wanted to get the full feel of the culture and environment. By choosing Punta Leona, with the breath-taking views, well trained staff, and numerous activities that lend to the culture of the country. I was involved in the SMART program in which I got to go out on the water and even pull up fish myself, of course with the help of the knowledgeable guides. Later that evening without any organization on my part was the same fish caught that day on the dinner plate. The food was so extraordinary! It makes it feel so much fresh and special when you can feel so close to what you are eating. I suggest trying the sauces especially the banana sauce for any seafood at Carabellas. I have never tasted anything like it.

The butterfly garden and getting the opportunity to plant an almond tree and become a part of the property made me feel very close to the nature that is so prevalent throughout the country.

I can't get the view of the gorgeous beaches in Punta Leona, and I really don't want to. I can not wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Bernarda L, General Manager at Hotel & Club Punta Leona, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments. We are very glad to know that you visited our property several times and that you enjoyed every time all the amenities at the hotel and the many attractions in the area. We hope to be able to keep serving you and thank you for preferring us .
Plantation, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Have been coming here for 12 years and the best way I have found to sum it up is that it has the costa rican vibe. It's friendly. It's beautiful. It has gorgeous top rated beaches. Its close to many sites including Manuel Antonio, Carrara, hermosa, jaco just to name a few. Just exploring the property is great fun w three beaches, nature trails, several pools and restaurants, a zip line, virgin forests, and much more. Try a granizado at bar garate. Snorkel playa blanca. Discover the waterfall at limoncito. All within the property.

Ask about the SMART program. Is a cultural experience unlike any other. From Tico Spanish and cooking classes to environmental and social activities including beach clean ups, tree planting, aiding underprivileged school children to local crafts and folk dancing.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you very much for your preference and your excellent comments about our property. Our Smart program as you indicate it, is oriented to provide a experience for the tourist who will like to know more about the culture and lifestyle of the local people. I hope you continue visiting us.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

Me, my sister, and my good friend took advantage of a great deal that was offered through groupon for this place. We stayed in a very basic room with 2 queen beds, mini fridge, and a TV. The room was a avg size for us but would've been cozier for 2 ppl. The shower gets really hot, so be careful.

Everything is within walking distance except the front gate, it's kins of far. The food was DELICIOUS, especially the breakfast. My parents are from the Caribbean so I'm pretty used to most of the food they served but they also have the traditional food. The small monkeys that come out during breakfast are a sight to see, they will steal your food if u leave it unattended.

What really impressed me about this place was the staff. THEY WERE SO NICCCCEEE. We weren't as prepared as we thought and asked the front desk a million questions and they never seemed irritated and always went above and beyond. KAREN & DAVID ROCK!! there were others at the front desk that were of great help but I can't remember their names. The two guys who run the canopy tour(zip line) were also nice and FUNNY as heck which was great cause it calmed my nerves.

Playa Blanca(beach) was also nice and not crowded. There is a little store on site for your basic needs. I didn't go to the pool or spa so I can't rate that. Overall it is a great place to stay. It isn't super fancy but it got an A in my book

• Stayed May 2012
Bernarda L, Front Office Manager at Hotel & Club Punta Leona, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thanks for your excellent review. We are pleased that you liked our property and that you enjoyed the natural beauty of the place and the friendliness of the staff. We are delighted that our guests appreciate all the efforts we make to be better every day and that they leave satisfied with our services. We hope you visit us again in the near future.
Schenectady, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I enjoyed very much the two nights I spent here as part of a group trip. Our group stayed in a section of rooms named Venezuela after one of the lands Columbus discovered. The rooms are spacious, comfortable, quite modern, with good bathrooms attached. There was a basket of fruit to welcome me and chocolates on my pillow at night. The grounds are huge, with access to a beach (and their own bus service to get there). They appear to be in the process of building even more rooms, apparently condos. There are pretty paths and roads leading through a tropical forest environment to the restaurant, reception, the chapel (closed except for Saturday evening service), and a nice little butterfly garden. On an early morning walk I saw morpho butterflies (in the wild as well as the enclosed garden), scarlet macaws, and a troupe of spider monkeys in a tree near my room. The ancient, huge ceibo tree, preserved near the chapel, is a marvel. But the restaurant is, to my mind, the reason to be here, and a lot of Costa Rican children there apparently felt the same way. There is a good variety of food offered at the buffet, most of it so-so in my opinion, but the place is surrounded, in the slopes outside the open-air fenced seating areas and the rafters and netting overhead, with raccoon-like coatis and capuchin monkeys who are there to steal your meal. If you don't mind the entertainment aspects overtaking the culinary aspects, this is a show not to be missed. Watching these sly and greedy animals was one of the most memorable parts of my trip to Costa Rica.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
missddNorthCarolina, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel & Club Punta Leona, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments and for taking the time to describe your positive experience in Hotel and Club Punta Leona. We are pleased that you liked your room and were able to enjoy all the services and amenities offered by our hotel. Our goal is that our guests leave satisfied and appreciate the lush nature that surrounds us and to relax in our beautiful white sand beach Playa Blanca. We hope you visit us in the near future.

Been to Hotel & Club Punta Leona? Share your experiences!