“Punta Leona Hotel and Club” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel & Club Punta Leona
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Blanca | Punta Leona, Jaco 1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #16 of 42 Hotels in Jaco
Pulaski
“Punta Leona Hotel and Club”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

Stayed at this property Jan 8&9 2012 - Had a room in the Honduras section, nice room, included was a buffet breakfast which was very good !! At dinner there also was a buffet available for $20.00 and it also was very good !! Nice beaches, nice pools , very safe place behind gates. Lots of birds ( big red parrots, toucans, monkeys, racoons ) The only complaint I had was with calling to the US - I had a prepaid calling card but the way they had the phones lines set up I could not get an outside line ( or they would not let me have one ).They told me if I wanted to call the US I had to dial 7000, the no. and # key. Anyway this was to be charged to my credit or visa card at a rate of $41.00 for 5 minutes. No wAY!! I had no problem calling the US in the other hotels we stayed at on this trip using my prepaid card ?????? They got you, tourist !!!!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
San José
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

We rent a condo for 6, the condo is nice, two rooms, two baths, nice kitchen and enough place to have fun in the living room, there is a little pool outside the condo, so, you don't need to go to the main pool at the hotel. The beach is to quiet and I do think that this is a nice place to go if you don't want to expend much money (Around $600 Fri-Sun)

Room Tip: Rent a car! From one of the beaches to the other one it is like 20 minutes walking, so, if you don...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Longueui
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Ce fût un très beau voyage pour 2 jeunes adultes très actifs. Beaucoup de chose à voir sur le site. 2 belles plages privés donc une avec sable blanc. Également, les chambres étaient très propres. Un peu vieillot mais c'est un 3 étoile. Ville de Jaco à proximité et on peut y aller en autobus et faire du surf. Nourriture très bonne, faut essayer les snacks sur le ressort.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Punta Leona Dec 23, 24th 2011 and had a marvelous time! With a little research we found out the units we slept in were built for the cast and crew of a movie, filmed there in the 70's... called 1492. Was the story of Christopher Columbus. It was a basic room, had an air conditioner above the door with a remote control to monitor the temperature. Our room had 2 queen beds, and were quite comfortable. Really, on a trip like this one isn't spending much time in the room, it was adequete.

Now the Resort... It's AWESOME! It's about a 3 KM drive down a nice brick road to get from the main highway to the resort. I will tell you, we saw more wildlife on this property than we did in all of Monteverde and Carera park combined. While dining at the resturant, you'll see more monkeys than you can chake a stick at (sorry I had to say that)... They are literally crawling up the sides of the open air structure, on the roof and of course, in the trees. Once, on ecame right in and stole the sugar packets right off a table.

WHile sitting by the pool(s), we say the most glorious pair of scarlet mccaws fly past, a couple of times... You should have heard them squak!!! They offer a bird hike early in the morning. It was included in the price, and I will tell you it woudl have been worth $50 a person easy just for that. We paid $20 to tour Carera, and saw 1/10 of what we saw here!

They have a butterfly garden, mini golf (which we didn't use), a soccer field, kids pool, and so much more.

There are 2 beaches, one right adacent to the pool area, which is Ok, but the really special beach, takes a little more work (or a car) to get to. It's Playa Blanca! Great white sand beach, tide pools... Did I mention Monekeys?

I will always remember Playa Leona, for the abundent wildlife and beautiful beaches. I could have spent a week in this place and not left.

The breakfast was included in our price and it was plentyful. Omeletes custom made, eggs, potatoes, sausage, cold cereals, juices, coffee, muffins... you won't go hungry here.

I'd recommend a visit and long stay here.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Heredia, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

We've been to the Hotel & Club Punta Leona twice - once on a day pass to use the facilities, and once to stay. The day pass is a great option - for $50 per person (our 4-year-old was free) we had full access to the two beaches, three swimming pools, playground, butterfly garden, activities, and lunch at the buffet restaurant. We spent a very enjoyable day there - so much so that we came back to stay when family came to visit.

When we stayed, we booked the all-inclusive package that included breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and even alcohol (not the fancy stuff, but we were happy). The fruit smoothies (frescos) were fantastic, and we were pleased by the food options. Our room was clean and nice and in a good location (Selvamar - Haiti).

Our daughter LOVES the pool there - there's a kid side that's zero entry up to about a foot and a half, and it also has a little house that sprays water that the kids can go in and out of. The second half of the kid side is roughly 3 feet at the shallow end to 6 feet at the deep end - great for playing with little ones. There's lots of shade by the pool, but do watch your belongings as raccoons sometimes try to make off with them. There are two other adult pools so peace and quiet is also possible if that's what you're looking for.

Playa Blanca is beautiful and also has a good deal of shade, and the waves aren't too strong. We love the wildlife at Punta Leona, too - pizotes (coatis), scarlet macaws, monkeys, iguanas, butterflies... My husband and brother-in-law did the canopy tour and said they really enjoyed the experience and the staff was great. All the staff is at least bilingual (Spanish-English) and very helpful and friendly. The signage around the hotel is trilingual (Spanish-English-German) and we heard lots of different languages being spoken by guests.

We wanted to stay an extra night, but since it was the holiday season they were booked solid. We would definitely stay there again with family and would love to try the spa and more of the activities (e.g., bird watching, mini golf, beach tennis, fuseball, etc.). The soap/shampoo/lotion provided were simple but honey vanilla scented and really lovely. I would use those at home... They focus on being environmentally sustainable, which I appreciate, and recycle bins are provided throughout the campus. If you want a retreat where you have a lot to do and don't have to go far, Punta Leona is a great option.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Arborfield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

Was here for the second time in a couple of years to attend a conference. The Selvamar rooms are very basic and a bit tired looking now. We only received a coffee filter for the first day and had to repeatedly ask for refills. Even then they did not replace the paper cups and we had to drink coffee from glasses. Room service tends to be late in the day. Rooms are clean and the beds are fine. Plenty of towels. We had all our food catered for at the Carabelas Restaurant. Food is reasonable but after a day or two the variety is lacking. Tour groups frequent the resort and it can be a bit busy at times. The Playa Bianca is fantastic but the Playa Mantas, nearest the hotel not the best feature. Pools are nice. Yes, this is a large site and you will have to walk a lot. A couple of years ago I did the Monkey Trail which is good fun as long as you are not scared of heights. PS: arrived without my suitcase and the hotel could not provide a comb, toothbrush or a shaving kit etc.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
San Pedro, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

First I arrived early and the room wasn't ready which was fine...I could still use the pool. I went to get dressed in the bathroom and it smelled like urine! It was so bad I just walked out! I was hungry and caught the interbus to the restaurant...the buffet was $16. I opted for the snack bar by the pool...I had a $10 pizza.
The rooms were ok as was the food and playa blanca....although I waited along with others for the bus... 25 minutes to get there and then again back. Some of the ticos were even aggitated and asked the employee if he could make a call.
The next day I had a massage scheduled at 1pm. Total disappointment...the spa was a single-wide that was probably 30 years old...it smelt of moldy fungus and the only people inside were 3 guys trying to fix something. I just left.
Upon check-out I walked 10 minutes to the reservation desk with my heavy luggage!

I felt over all that this place did not go out of their way to make you feel comfortable.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel & Club Punta Leona? Share your experiences!