“Came here on a whim, totally worth it!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 46 things to do in Jaco
Davenport, Florida
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Came here on a whim, totally worth it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

My girlfriend and I passed the signs for Neo Fauna for 3 days while in Jaco. On our last day we were shopping in the area and decided to check it out.

We arrived the same time another group did and decided to do the $20 tour with them. We were presently surprised. We got to see about 6-7 snakes some of which were poisonous. Even got to hold 1. Then we did the same with frogs. Got to hold a red eye tree frog. The butterfly area was swarming with them. It was really cool see in it all up close. My favorite part was the poison dart frogs.

At the end the guide let me and my girlfriend hold Cesar the monkey they rescued that's in the reception shop. Check it out. $20 for about 2 hours was worth it. This was our last day of our 11 day trip to costa rica and we had only seen 1 of the frogs in Manuel Antonio that they had. Its worth it! Check out our pictures.

Sean-N-Tori

Eutawville, South Carolina
“spiders and snakes and frogs - oh my!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

a different kind of place - no bells, no whistles - just a nice collection of snakes, frogs, and butterflies. Very knowledgeable guide, Josemar is his name. Go for sure if you like this kind of thing.

Visited February 2014
Traveling the US
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Fantastic experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Our tour was well over an hour an involved holding snakes and frogs. Tons of photo opportunities. We left early so we didn't get to play with the rescued monkey out of the cage, but we did get to interact with it quite a bit. Our guide was Josemar, who is fantastic. Lots of butterflies of all types, including blue morphos and owl butterflies.

Seems like the negative reviews must have been different guides or off days. I absolutely didn't feel like this was a tourist trap, though. I felt like we found a hidden gem.

Visited January 2014
Gaithersburg, Maryland
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Rescue league!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Very informative - they have a butterfly garden, and various frogs, snakes, and such that they rescue or rehabilitate. Cesar is the resident monkey. Very information, less touristy -

Visited February 2014
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Conservation project? Not really...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Since my sister was visiting, we were looking for some nice tours.
We saw the neo fauna signs every day when driving, and after reading a few good comments on trip advisor we decided to go. If you follow the signs you will easily get there.
When we got there we were immediately greeted by a man (don't remember his name).
He led us into an 'office' were a little white face monkey was jumping up and down his too small cage and screaming loudly. He explained the tour to us and told us the price, which was 10.000 colones/20 dollars per person. We found this a really high price, especially because it was low season (july 2013). But we thought maybe the tour would be worth it...
So after paying and spraying ourselves with bug spray we started the tour.
He led us to a sort of tent where all the small cages were containing the animals. There were frogs, toads, snakes, lizards and some spiders. His explanation was good and his english was ok. This place is supposed to be a sanitarium (as he explained) for injured animals. He was however always opening the cages or tapping on the glass loudly to disturb the animals so we could take 'better pictures'. We never asked for this and quite frankly found it sad for the animals.
When we were there, there was a snake with an infection in its mouth and therefore very aggressive. When he tapped the glass the snake would 'attack' the glass, he did this several times. He even opened the cage and was taking pictures with our camera while the snake was attacking the camera. When we asked how he would heal the snake he said they would feed him a mouse with antibiotics in it, but it seemed like a quick answer to get us to stop asking questions.
We personally think they just dump the animals that die or get too sick.

Then we went on to the butterfly garden. There were some beautiful butterflies, including the blue one (don't know the exact name). He captured a very big one (owl butterfly I think) so we could see the beautiful patterns on the wings. He also showed us the cocoons and when he touched one, it moved! The butterflies were nice, but after 10 minutes he was kind of pushing us toward the exit (I guess it was lunch time). So I didn't get to take a picture of the blue butterfly.

After reading a comment on this site, I was expecting some kind of nature walk where he would show us a plant that moved its leaves when you touched it, but I guess he was really hungry so the tour ended here for us.

I would not recommend going here, unless if it's to save the animals!
If you really are an animal lover, you don't keep them in small cages and disturb them for every visitor that comes by. We did get some amazing pictures though...

Visited July 2013