“Best thing we did in Jaco!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 65 Activities in Jaco
Type: Surf Camps
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Tortuga Surf Camp is the choice for the traveler who wants to enjoy and discover the wonders of surf at an affordable price.Located strategically in the south end of Jaco Beach, this calm mellow beach breaks will be the classroom where our ISA certified instructor will lead you trough the this Costa Rican surfing experience.
New Philadelphia, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
“Best thing we did in Jaco!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My 9 year old daughter & I finally decided to brave the ocean & try surfing & we are both so glad we chose Tortuga Surf School to teach us. Mike & his awesome helper (sorry, can't remember his name!) gave us basic but important intruction out of the water & in no time at all we were in the water &, with their help, riding the waves! It was awesome! We are from Ohio & not normally too comfortable in the ocean but all our fears went right out the window once we got started. Mike did an excellent job of making us both feel safe & confident, & catching waves alongside my daughter so soon after we started was beyond compare! Mike does a great job,,, do yourself a huge favor & call Tortuga Surf School, you will NOT be disappointed!

Jaco, Costa Rica
“Surf day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Hey great day at the beach, thank you Mike for helping me to faced my fear. Get back on the waves was great; cant wait to get back. I had a great time.
I will see you soon!
TX
Melissa

London, United Kingdom
“Expert teaching”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I was in Costa Rica for work, and found that I had Saturday free. I emailed Michael on Friday night and had a reply within an hour. I quickly sorted out a car rental, and Michael booked me in for a lesson at 1:30 (best time for the tides).

I've never surfed before, Michael's methodical approach and detailed instruction had me surfing in two hours, and feeling confident. He's a skilled teacher and surfer, and gave me a really good understanding of some fundamentals. I look forward to learning more from him when I'm back in Costa Rica!

I've taken all sorts of lessons for snow boarding, skiing, sailing, etc.... Michael's class was one of the best I've had!

Highly recommended!

Visited February 2013
San Luis Obispo, California
“BEST TIME EVER!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

My Mother and I had the BEST time at Tortuga Surf School..... The surf instructors are amazing, very skilled, motivating, patient, and extremely friendly. I knew my mother was in good hands out in the water they got her up on the surfboard catching waves and the whole time I could hear her instructor cheering her on! I had the most wonderful instructor, Mike was great by the end of my lesson I was out catching waves with the BIG BOYS. I have surfed before but it has been a couple years since I was on a surfboard Mike really worked with me on my technique and breaking me of bad habbits... They want you to not only have fun but be safe and they give you the tools to do that! I had such a GREAT experience I went back for a few more one on one lessons I would HIGHLY recommend this place to anyone and everyone!!

Visited February 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Totally fell in love with surfing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Whether you are looking for some fun learning to surf, or you're in for some serious surfing, Tortuga is the place for you.

I have never surfed before and I signed up for the beginners' class with Mike. He made it so easy that I rode on my very first take off! I had so much fun that I went back for more lessons.

In subsequent lessons, they brought me further out where the conditions are more real and challenging. But there's always one instructor watching me and guiding me through. I was with Douggy most of the time and he's always ready to help with a smile. The attention you get is unbeatable. I was able to ride some real waves after just a few hours with them.

I must also mention that Mike is really kind to drive me to and fro between the surf school and my hostel (which is right at the opposite end of the beach) for every single lesson.

In short, they made surfing so awesome.

ps. Ask Mike for a "complimentary" bicycle ride back to their surf camp. The best transport in Costa Rica ever. haha