“Exceptional service and attention” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Perico Azul

You added Hotel Perico Azul to your Saves list
Hotel Perico Azul
Ave Pastor Diaz(main Strip's south end) | Calle (St) Santana, Jaco 506, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Exceptional service and attention”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

First time staying here. I celebrated my 40th birthday in Jaco with my wife and another couple. We stayed 5 nights here. We received first class attention from Celine, Mike and Joshua. Mike is an amazing surfer with knowledge of locals, the breaks and when to go where. We shared an amazing session at Boca Barranca with head high waves and only 1 other person out. I surfed til my arms fell off. Simply outstanding! Our rooms were clean and comfortable. We were treated like family and old friends during our stay. We were given so many personal touches I can't name them all...one is worth mentioning-we decided to hike up to see the old restaurant on the mountain just south of the hotel and got caught in a super nasty lighting storm with monsoon rains. They knew we were going and they came to our rescue when the storm came! We could have been washed away in a mudslide or hit by lightning. We ended up making it down the mountain and there they were in their SUV. They were about to hike up to get us if we had not of shown up at that very moment. We were so relieved and happy. It took my shoes 4 days to dry out it was so crazy! To close, the value to stay at Hotel Perico Azul is amazing. I think they should charge more for the level of service and experience they provide. Go stay with them before they figure that out!

Room Tip: We stayed in the 'suite' upstairs which was larger and had a great view
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Very friendly and accommodating owners treated us as friends not as customers! Access to beach chairs with umbrellas and bicycles to get around. Available kitchen area to prepare some meals at the hotel to save some colones. Staff was very helpful in coordinating rides and events, great recommendations for food and activities. Rooms and grounds are very clean with AC, hot water and fridges for cervesas! Highly recommend! Thanks mike and Celine!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

This was my first time staying at Perico Azul but there were others I met there that had stayed several times and continue to return and after staying there, I understand why:

- You're treated like family, Mike and Celine are so charming and welcoming, you truly feel at home. I was very sick getting off of the plane into Costa Rica, they made me lemongrass tea from their plant in the back which made me feel so much better, I was good as new the next day. I also picked and broke open a coconut from their tree with Josh which was a very authentic experience, as well as seeing macaws flying over Perico Azul!

- The rooms were very clean. They have AC, a fan AND hot water (which is not an easy find in Costa Rica)! I met someone that was staying at another hotel nearby said that their showerhead had a widowmaker which heats water with a copper coil around the showerhead and will electrocute you if you touch it!

- Everything is easily accessible, they know the area and locals very well and can help you find/reserve any activity. The beach and town are 10 minute walk either way but they always offered to drive me anywhere I needed to go. Mike walked with me around town my first day, pointing out different types of indigenous plants and animals and after that I didn't feel like driving anywhere. They also have bikes !

- I really appreciated how quiet it was at night-- when we were grabbing coffee before our 4am surf sessions, a lot of hotels we drove by still had music playing and people yelling like it was happy hour.

- They have a new yoga studio and the instructor is fantastic. My muscles were raw and sore from surfing but after our daily morning sessions, I felt restored but also stronger each day. Mike and Celine also let me use the yoga studio in the morning before 4am surf sessions to do my own little yoga practice and meditate on the day.

They made me feel so much like family that I didn't want to leave. I only planned on staying 5 days but ended up staying for 7 and would have stayed for the rest of my trip if my place in San Jose was refundable. Mike & Celine thank you so much for everything, I hope you expand to other countries!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Ingolstadt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

It was my first time with Hotel Perico Azul and I was really surprised about this great place. The Hotel is clean and an absolutely quit place. It is in the south of Jaco and therefore away from the "party-zone". However it's so easy and fast to get to the City Center that the mixture is perfect. Also the beach is very close and if you want to Surf they can organize Training with Tortuga Surf School as well.
The Appartements are clean and have A/C. The kitchen facilities are in a good shape and the pool is clean as well. The owners have always an open ear for questions and help as lot as possible to feel like home. Perfect place for Relaxing.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Windsor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I arrived here solo and was immediately impressed with the warmth shown by the owners Celine and Mike. They took me to the supermarket and showed me around. Celine invited me to hike with her one day which was amazing exercise and scenery...saw lots of wildlife :) Loved the cleanliness of the hotel....location was a 10 min walk to the center of Jaco. Its affordable and they treat you like family. Had a surfing lesson with Yorshua who was an awesome instructor. Will definitely return!

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

I was lucky to stay with Mike and Celine at this popular oasis in Jaco as a friend had booked it. Businesses worldwide have a lot to learn from these guys their customer service was faultless. Right from our arrival, we were personally orientated to the town and assisted in buying the necessary essentials from the supermarket until we were helped with transport to our next destinations.

Mike, Celine and yoshua organised a number of trips for us from the hotel all of which were superb. They accompanied us throughout and helped with translation as necessary.

Mike and Yoshua were always willing to recommend and book different restaurants in town, our favourite is a new organic restaurant with a recycled decor called pajara pinta.

Celine and Leitta ensured our room was spotless daily, the pool and grounds were kept clean and prim.

The rooms all have air conditioning which is essential at night. Some have a mini kitchenette but it doesn't matter if you have this as there is a communal kitchen available with all the necessary mod cons.

There are a couple of dogs and cats that live on site - all of them are super friendly and add to the character of the hotel.

Celine lent us a couple of bikes for going into town which was super useful, if their are none available then walk to town, along the beach or up the hill to the Miro site are all beautiful.

We took part in Tortuga surf camp too which is run my Mike, Celine and their awesome team. We've reviewed this separately but it too gets gold stars.

Thank you all for making us feel so welcome and truly making us feel 'part of your family' - many people claim this but Mike, Celine and team actually offer this service.

Pura Vida
Cannot wait until our return trip!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

My friends and I stayed at the "Blue Parrot" while surfing with Tortuga Surf School. After a long day catching waves, this hotel was our perfect oasis to return to and relax!

Celine and Mike were the warmest of hosts, going out of their way to accommodate our special requests, providing recommendations for Jaco and accompanying us on excursions.

Our room was spotlessly clean, equipped with wi-fi and air conditioning. In the evening it is peacefully quiet which afforded us the sleep we needed for our activity-filled days.

Seek out Jaco's main strip when you want to (you won't miss the bustle or the noise) by walking five minutes. We also enjoyed trying our luck at the casino right across the street.

If you are visiting Jaco, DON'T EVEN CONSIDER booking anywhere but the Perico Azul..

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Perico Azul? Share your experiences!