“Perfect Hotel - quit and clean” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Perico Azul

You added Hotel Perico Azul to your Saves list
Hotel Perico Azul
Ave Pastor Diaz(main Strip's south end) | Calle (St) Santana, Jaco 506, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Ingolstadt, Germany
“Perfect Hotel - quit and clean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

It was my first time with Hotel Perico Azul and I was really surprised about this great place. The Hotel is clean and an absolutely quit place. It is in the south of Jaco and therefore away from the "party-zone". However it's so easy and fast to get to the City Center that the mixture is perfect. Also the beach is very close and if you want to Surf they can organize Training with Tortuga Surf School as well.
The Appartements are clean and have A/C. The kitchen facilities are in a good shape and the pool is clean as well. The owners have always an open ear for questions and help as lot as possible to feel like home. Perfect place for Relaxing.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Windsor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I arrived here solo and was immediately impressed with the warmth shown by the owners Celine and Mike. They took me to the supermarket and showed me around. Celine invited me to hike with her one day which was amazing exercise and scenery...saw lots of wildlife :) Loved the cleanliness of the hotel....location was a 10 min walk to the center of Jaco. Its affordable and they treat you like family. Had a surfing lesson with Yorshua who was an awesome instructor. Will definitely return!

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

I was lucky to stay with Mike and Celine at this popular oasis in Jaco as a friend had booked it. Businesses worldwide have a lot to learn from these guys their customer service was faultless. Right from our arrival, we were personally orientated to the town and assisted in buying the necessary essentials from the supermarket until we were helped with transport to our next destinations.

Mike, Celine and yoshua organised a number of trips for us from the hotel all of which were superb. They accompanied us throughout and helped with translation as necessary.

Mike and Yoshua were always willing to recommend and book different restaurants in town, our favourite is a new organic restaurant with a recycled decor called pajara pinta.

Celine and Leitta ensured our room was spotless daily, the pool and grounds were kept clean and prim.

The rooms all have air conditioning which is essential at night. Some have a mini kitchenette but it doesn't matter if you have this as there is a communal kitchen available with all the necessary mod cons.

There are a couple of dogs and cats that live on site - all of them are super friendly and add to the character of the hotel.

Celine lent us a couple of bikes for going into town which was super useful, if their are none available then walk to town, along the beach or up the hill to the Miro site are all beautiful.

We took part in Tortuga surf camp too which is run my Mike, Celine and their awesome team. We've reviewed this separately but it too gets gold stars.

Thank you all for making us feel so welcome and truly making us feel 'part of your family' - many people claim this but Mike, Celine and team actually offer this service.

Pura Vida
Cannot wait until our return trip!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

My friends and I stayed at the "Blue Parrot" while surfing with Tortuga Surf School. After a long day catching waves, this hotel was our perfect oasis to return to and relax!

Celine and Mike were the warmest of hosts, going out of their way to accommodate our special requests, providing recommendations for Jaco and accompanying us on excursions.

Our room was spotlessly clean, equipped with wi-fi and air conditioning. In the evening it is peacefully quiet which afforded us the sleep we needed for our activity-filled days.

Seek out Jaco's main strip when you want to (you won't miss the bustle or the noise) by walking five minutes. We also enjoyed trying our luck at the casino right across the street.

If you are visiting Jaco, DON'T EVEN CONSIDER booking anywhere but the Perico Azul..

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

My 15 year old daughter and I stayed here in March 2014 for 5 nights with a package including Tortuga Surf Camp. This is a quiet, comfortable place to stay. This is a small hotel so if you are looking for the big "resort" style hotel, this is not it. If you are looking for a place where you are personally greeted in the morning and evening by your host, this is definitely it. The rooms (and property) are simple, comfortable and clean. You have access to the community kitchen and refrigerator, so you can stop at the market to pick up groceries to cook a meal if you desire. An early riser, I was up every morning making coffee and enjoying the sounds of the wildlife surrounding the hotel.

The hotel is a short walk to the beach or center of town, if needed you can grab a taxi for $1-$2 USD right to the center of town.

Celine and Mike are excellent hosts and can help recommend a restaurant, book activities and assist in arranging transportation.

I booked my stay here based upon the excellent reviews from other Trip Advisor travelers and the reviews were correct - this is a great place to stay! I wish I could give more than 5 stars, and cannot wait to come back to stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Lakewood, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

The Perico Azul is a short, easy walk to beach or main strip without being in the middle of everything. For me, this is perfect because I can walk to what I want or just chill out in a quiet place if I need to.

I met Mike first. My Interbus arrived a lot earlier than expected, so my room wasn’t ready. We started shooting the bull, and it turned into a great conversation that probably lasted 45 minutes. Since the room wasn’t going to be cleaned for a bit longer, he drove me down the strip.

During the drive he pointed out the good places to eat as he talked about the history of Jaco. Then, he took me to the supermarket so I could do some food shopping. I was able to stock up on some wine, cheese, and chips to put back into the fridge at the Perico Azul. One the way back to the hotel, he even bought me a smoothie when he was picking up some food for his surf instructors. We were just chatting the whole time. It was quite the intro, and I was totally primed for my surfing class (in another review).

On the Sunday that my friends had to go back to San Jose for class, I mentioned that they didn’t have their bus tickets yet. Always looking out for us, Mike pointed out that they really had to get their tickets immediately to be guaranteed a trip back that day. Celine took all of us to the bus station. Then, she waited in the long line with us for nearly half an hour. She also spoke with the teller to make sure that there weren’t any language problems in getting the exact tickets my friends needed. Then, of course, she drove us all back.

That same day she even contacted Interbus for me because my bus was running late (before I was even worried). Again, she verified in person that there weren’t going to be any problems for me before she went on with the business of running the hotel.

People always use slogans like “we treat you like family,” but I’ve never experienced anything like this. To me, it’s unfathomable that the owners of a hotel would look out for and take care of their guests like that. Of course, I’m sure it’s impossible to treat everyone that way (for lack of time), but it’s amazing to know that the intention is even there. It was all so sincere too, which is the cherry on the top. I’m generally jaded by all the disingenuous customer service practices that get concocted in the same conference rooms that churn out things like “we treat you like family.”

I really can’t imagine staying anywhere else in Jaco now. And, I’ve discovered an awesome alternative to my scuba diving vacations.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

If we could give this place more than 5 stars we would! Our experience at Hotel Perico Azul was nothing short of incredible, we were able to partake in every activity we wanted to and then some.

When going on vacation you can choose to stay at a 5 star resort with a hot-tub, 50” LED TV, concierge with every amenity you could imagine (That you can find at any resort in the world) or you could choose to stay in the quaint, cozy, personable hotel of Perico Azul, which is an authentic experience that you will never forget. While Costa Rica is a stunningly beautiful country with an endless list of sights to see and things to do, what set this place apart from the rest were Celine and Mike. Their knowledge of this part of the country is simply something you cannot google, whether it is local places to eat and different beaches to surf to amazing scenic hikes and learning to surf at their Tortuga Surf camp, without them we would have not had half the experience we did.

There is no doubt in our minds that we will be back to Costa Rica, better yet to Jaco to stay with Celine and Mike. We left after nine days feeling like family and we’re pretty sure no other hotel could ever make you feel that way or give you half the experiences that they did!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Perico Azul? Share your experiences!