“Mike & Celine, The Ultimate Hosts” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Perico Azul

You added Hotel Perico Azul to your Saves list
Hotel Perico Azul
Ave Pastor Diaz(main Strip's south end) | Calle (St) Santana, Jaco 506, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Lakewood, Colorado
“Mike & Celine, The Ultimate Hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

The Perico Azul is a short, easy walk to beach or main strip without being in the middle of everything. For me, this is perfect because I can walk to what I want or just chill out in a quiet place if I need to.

I met Mike first. My Interbus arrived a lot earlier than expected, so my room wasn’t ready. We started shooting the bull, and it turned into a great conversation that probably lasted 45 minutes. Since the room wasn’t going to be cleaned for a bit longer, he drove me down the strip.

During the drive he pointed out the good places to eat as he talked about the history of Jaco. Then, he took me to the supermarket so I could do some food shopping. I was able to stock up on some wine, cheese, and chips to put back into the fridge at the Perico Azul. One the way back to the hotel, he even bought me a smoothie when he was picking up some food for his surf instructors. We were just chatting the whole time. It was quite the intro, and I was totally primed for my surfing class (in another review).

On the Sunday that my friends had to go back to San Jose for class, I mentioned that they didn’t have their bus tickets yet. Always looking out for us, Mike pointed out that they really had to get their tickets immediately to be guaranteed a trip back that day. Celine took all of us to the bus station. Then, she waited in the long line with us for nearly half an hour. She also spoke with the teller to make sure that there weren’t any language problems in getting the exact tickets my friends needed. Then, of course, she drove us all back.

That same day she even contacted Interbus for me because my bus was running late (before I was even worried). Again, she verified in person that there weren’t going to be any problems for me before she went on with the business of running the hotel.

People always use slogans like “we treat you like family,” but I’ve never experienced anything like this. To me, it’s unfathomable that the owners of a hotel would look out for and take care of their guests like that. Of course, I’m sure it’s impossible to treat everyone that way (for lack of time), but it’s amazing to know that the intention is even there. It was all so sincere too, which is the cherry on the top. I’m generally jaded by all the disingenuous customer service practices that get concocted in the same conference rooms that churn out things like “we treat you like family.”

I really can’t imagine staying anywhere else in Jaco now. And, I’ve discovered an awesome alternative to my scuba diving vacations.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

If we could give this place more than 5 stars we would! Our experience at Hotel Perico Azul was nothing short of incredible, we were able to partake in every activity we wanted to and then some.

When going on vacation you can choose to stay at a 5 star resort with a hot-tub, 50” LED TV, concierge with every amenity you could imagine (That you can find at any resort in the world) or you could choose to stay in the quaint, cozy, personable hotel of Perico Azul, which is an authentic experience that you will never forget. While Costa Rica is a stunningly beautiful country with an endless list of sights to see and things to do, what set this place apart from the rest were Celine and Mike. Their knowledge of this part of the country is simply something you cannot google, whether it is local places to eat and different beaches to surf to amazing scenic hikes and learning to surf at their Tortuga Surf camp, without them we would have not had half the experience we did.

There is no doubt in our minds that we will be back to Costa Rica, better yet to Jaco to stay with Celine and Mike. We left after nine days feeling like family and we’re pretty sure no other hotel could ever make you feel that way or give you half the experiences that they did!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

We stayed here for 3 of the nights during our trip to Costa Rica in March 2014. The management, (Celine and Mike) is what makes Perico Azul the number one place to stay in Jaco. However, if you are the type to to be served cucumber-flavored water for breakfast, and require a ceramic hair dryer then this place is probably isn't for you. The rooms are very clean (cleaned every day by their lovely housekeeper) and complete with everything you need. Rooms have strong AC, clean bathroom, gas stove, fridge/freezer, etc. In addition, there is a common kitchen you can use in a family style setting, as well as a modestly sized pool outside the rooms which is perfect.

Celine and Mike were both amazing and accommodating hosts, both very willing to answer any questions and needs you may have. Both have a created a perfect place to stay for a common traveler that is unpretentious and pure 100% hospitality. The advise and the atmosphere you receive from the hosts is something you will not get at a concierge at a 5star hotel (something we place great value in). Also, I took a surf lesson with Tortuga Surf School which is ran by Mike which was such a great time (in a separate review). Our stay in Jaco was amazing -- can't wait to be back soon.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

My family had the extreme pleasure of staying at Perico Azul in February 2014. We needed a place for our first night of a 10 day trip, between San Jose and our eventual destination on the south Pacific coast. After seeing the great reviews I booked two rooms without hesitation.

On our arrival we were greeted by two Scarlet Macaws in the trees right adjacent to the property, which would be a harbinger of all the good things to come during our short time in Jaco. The rooms are on the small side small (hey, you are in Costa Rica at the beach - how much time are you really going to spend in your room anyway?) but nicely equipped and very clean, with fresh flowers in several places, and the rates are extremely low for the service and amenities provided. Once checked in, Celine gave us a map of Jaco and detailed instructions on the good restaurants, bars, grocery stores, etc. With sunset approaching, she recommended we get our things put away and head to The Point beach bar for sunset, which was only a five minute walk from the hotel. There are no words to describe that sunset; I have seen some spectacular ones in my travels and nothing compares to the view on Jaco beach.

Celine and Mike, the property owners, are the friendliest and most accommodating hosts you could ever hope to find. We sat around in the morning and had coffee and discussed our plans for the next nine days with Mike, and he said something I will never forget that is indicative of what you can expect at Perico Azul. He told us if we had any difficulties on our travels down south, just call them. "We know people down there, and if need be we'll come get you". Seriously - and it was absolutely sincere. We left feeling like we had made new friends for life, and will definitely try for a longer stay with Celine and Mike on our next trip to Costa Rica!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one week in February and were blown away by the warmth of the hosts, Celine and Mike, as well as their dedication to ensuring an awesome stay for the guests of their beautiful hotel.

We flew in from Toronto, and the airport had lost our bags. Celine greeted us upon arrival at the hotel, and immediately took down our lost luggage reference number and assured us she would keep on them to make sure they were actually delivered. She then drove us to not only show us where the beach is (about a 5 minute walk), but took us into town so we could get some Jaco appropriate clothing. When it became clear that we were not getting our bags as promised, Mike and Celine took turns calling the airline and airport to get it sorted out. Thanks to their persistence, we got our bags the next day. This is just one example of how Celine and Mike go above and beyond for their guests. They are genuinely awesome people.

Their surf camp has a spot on the South end of the beach, a few minutes walking from the city, where they have chairs and the staff will watch your things. Really nice to not have to worry every time you go in the water.

Celine took us and some of the other guests on a waterfall hike (at no charge other than the entrance to the park), which was absolutely stunning. If you're in good shape, it's not to be missed!

The hotel itself is lovely, colorful and unpretentious. The rooms are a good size, comfortable, AC, cable, and ours had a small kitchenette and a mini fridge. We enjoyed the pool every single day. Jaco isn't cheap for foreigners, so we took full advantage of the kitchenette to make our own meals. This hotel has such a relaxed vibe, and all the other guests were super friendly.

Mike and Celine have created a fantastic spot to enjoy the beach and nature surrounding Jaco. Can't thank them enough for such an awesome time. Pura Vida!

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

good location, a bit away from the seedy town centre and 5 minutes walk from the beach. Celine was extremely friendly and knowledgeable on check-in, providing some great recommendations for the local area.

the room was a decent size. the furnishings are not the most modern and unfortunately, the bedroom had no windows and as such, felt a bit "stuffy". the bathroom was perfectly fine and the room did have a tv and a big fridge.

the service was really excellent and everyone was very friendly. we don't surf and were only here for a night but I imagine that if you did surf, this place would be a dream! overall, nothing amazing, but great service and a great price point make this place a good option.

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed here for our first 2 nights of an 8 day trip in February 2014. It was our first time ever in Costa Rica so we were really clueless. Jaco is a busy, bustling beach town that can be overwhelming for newcomers with little Spanish fluency. This hotel made everything easy. It is safe (the gate is locked at all times), clean, and the proprietress, Celine is absolutely wonderful. I had chosen this hotel because of all the positive reviews. They were spot on. More businesses should follow the lead of this wonderful, locally owned hotel; it felt like home. We loved it so much, we stayed there on our last day (which we had left unbooked) since it is fairly close to the airport.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Perico Azul? Share your experiences!