“Lovely Place in Jaco” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Perico Azul

Save Saved
You added Hotel Perico Azul to your Saves list
Hotel Perico Azul
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ave Pastor Diaz(main Strip's south end) | Calle (St) Santana, Jaco 506, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 39 hotels in Jaco
Portarlington, Ireland
“Lovely Place in Jaco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Myself and my sister stayed here in March 2013. We stayed in the dorms. We found the owner to be very friendly and most helpful. It is a located in a quiet area of Jaco and if you are looking for some peace and quiet this is the place to be. It is within walking distance to the beach and there is a lovely restaurant next door with great food. It also have a small pool which is clean, a perfect size for cooling down on those hot days.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

116 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

The Perico Azul is the perfect place for a cozy and comfortable getaway. If your just looking for a place to party and stay up late this is not the place for you. If your looking for an authentic Costa Rican getaway, early in and early up this is the place for you. Celine is more then your average host, she makes sure that you feel at home right away. Anything you may have interest in doing, she will make sure you will be put in the right hands. Whether its zip lining, or yoga or directions to the supermarket or the best places to eat, she will make sure you know all the right places to go and not to go. Her recommendations are all on point, especially with the restaurants which all provide great authentic Costa Rican meals which are needed for a packed day of adventures. The hotel itself is clean as can be, very comfortable and secure. The rooms are very clean and beds are perfect for a good nights rest, which you will need after a day of surfing with Mike and the guys at Tortuga Surf School, which is the sister company of Perico Azul. Celine will do everything she can to make sure you have the best experience possible, which is exactly what I had. My stay at Perico Azul was by far the best experience I've ever had on any vacation. Thank you Celine for everything you did and I will definitely be back. PURA VIDA!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

If you are looking for a 5 Star luxury resort then this place is not for you. If you are looking for an honest authentic experience then you have found the right place.

The Hosts
Every great experience starts with people and Percio Azul hosts Celine and Mike where fantastic. It is always special to be welcomed by people who are warm, friendly, honest and happy to take the time to chat, answer questions and simply just hang out. Most impressive was the honest nature upon which they operate. What you see and hear is what you get. I value that when i travel to new places.

The Hotel
NIce, clean, quiet, simple, relaxing. I loved the character. I wanted something small, intimate and local and that is exactly what i feel i got. The hotel is oriented around a courtyard with a small pool perfect for a cool swim that also makes for a nice casual lounging area to meet other guests.I stayed in the one bedroom suite on the second floor. It was quite large with a kitchen, dining table, living space, a separate spacious bedroom and a private bathroom with shower. Seating areas outside to relax, Wifi to stay connected and AC for a cool sleep made for a comfortable stay and a good sleep after beating myself up on the waves. Everything you need, really. The details like fresh flowers, surfgear hanging around, hammock, lounge chairs, fauna, birds, and a few relaxed pets add a nice touch. By the way, if you are worried, this place was very safe and secure. Never did i really worry about anything.

The Location
Set back off a main street on the quiet side of town. A short 5 minute walk to the beach and an easy 10 minute walk into the center of town where you can find everything you need. Don't miss Taco Bar for great smoothies and fish tacos, a Celine reco.

And more...
My plan was simple... i only had two days and one night to relax and learn to surf. Celine and Mike arranged my pick up in San Jose and back again. My private surf lessons with Mike were excellent! This guy loves and lives the water and is very committed to what he is doing. He worked me hard and taught me well. I learned a ton and now i am hooked. Ask and you shall receive. I definitely recommend Tortuga Surf School. They have a great set up and treat you well. This hotel surf lesson combo was exactly what i needed.

The only downer? You know it... leaving. It was sad to say goodbye and leave this place. I was just starting to settle in, had tasted my first wave, and met some great people. It now owns a piece of me. I'll be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We are not surfers, we are not party hardy. If fact we don't even drink and have a house of kids at home so our hostels days are over. We were not sure Jaco would be a good fit for us but took our chances with Hotel Perico Azul based on reviews and we loved it!

We booked one night here because being landlocked we wanted to try our hand at surfing (Mike's surf lessons were great!) We ended up staying another night with Celine and Mike because it was such a welcoming atmosphere.

The rooms are simple but well equipped with a small kitchen and fridge. Showers were warm (maybe we just stayed in the wrong places, warm showers were hard to come by). Beds were very comfortable and AC worked well. I loved the hostel feel, lots of space to mingle and talk to other people who are staying there. And rooms were spotless.

Celine was such a good host. Spot on recommendation for restaurants, hiking and activities, drive time, etc. We asked, she knew. She took the time to get to know us and made sure we had everything we needed. This is a cash only place, no cc accepted, just a heads up.

On a side note, our experience in Jaco was pleasant. The south side is more residential. We walked into town every night for dinner (10 minutes) and would come home about 8:30pm and always felt safe. This was one of the few places in Costa Rica that was alive after dark and we enjoyed the shops and food. While I know Jaco has a reputation we didn't see that side of it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

This place is sweet! I stayed for four nights in June and had an amazing experience. It has a nice hostel like feel, with a common area to hangout with other travelers and a pool to swim in. The rooms are basic but really cozy and perfect for the average traveler. It's not a resort but it has a much more authentic feel than a bigger fancy hotel. Definitely recommend checking it out if you're in Jaco!

• Stayed June 2013
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Hotel Perico Azul was one of the best travel experiences I have had in my life. Very accessible, impeccably clean everyday, quiet, close to the beach, and you couldn't ask for nicer owners. Michael and Celine took great care of us, going out of their way to make sure we had everything we would need for the trip the whole time we were there. Michael set us up with surf boards, locations, help and lessons, and Celine took care of everything from Bikes to get us around town, to helping us find our way to the best restaurants and beeches nearby. And then every night we would come home to a clean room with AC, internet, and good conversations on a small patio outside while the Costa Rica rain came down.

Thank you so much Michael and Celine! We can't wait to come back!

Best,

Micah

P.S. They also helped me get some great surf pictures!

Room Tip: Get AC, it's a huge plus!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Me and my boyfriend just got back from a 7 night stay in Jaco. I don’t normally write reviews but I had to once we stayed here! We booked 3 nights with Celine because I had read such great reviews. We ended up extending our trip as soon as we arrived because this place is so amazing and you feel right at home. Not only was the hotel beautiful, clean and safe but Celine and Mike were just as welcoming. They were extremely helpful and 100% accommodating. Impeccable customer service. We borrowed bikes (for free) and took surf lessons at the camp with Mike. He is a great instructor and I highly recommend taking lessons with him when you stay! The prices were already very reasonable but both Celine and Mike did what they could to help us out (ie. Discounted surf lesson if the tide was not good and very cheap board rentals during the day).

The rooms themselves were extremely clean with fresh sheets, towels and flowers daily. The bed and pillows were comfy and the water was warm and had good pressure. The hotel had AC, tvs, and Wi-fi with a fully stocked kitchen that I wish we would have taken better advantage of. We were able to rent bikes for free and if we had any questions Celine and Mike were there to give suggestions and help us in any way. The hotel is a short 5 minute walk to the beach and a 10 min walk to town. Even though you are not right in the heart of the town the area is safe and the beach is quieter and less busy.

I would recommend this place to anyone who is staying in Jaco and I am going to stay here again in the future when I decide to come back! You are very lucky if you are able to stay with Celine and Mike in one of their 6 gorgeous rooms! Thank you very much Celine and Mike for everything and I hope to see you soon!

Room Tip: Email Celine about what you want and she will find the perfect fit for you!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Perico Azul? Share your experiences!