“Best Place in Jaco and the most amazing people” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Perico Azul

Save Saved
You added Hotel Perico Azul to your Saves list
Hotel Perico Azul
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ave Pastor Diaz(main Strip's south end) | Calle (St) Santana, Jaco 506, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 42 hotels in Jaco
Jaco, Costa Rica
“Best Place in Jaco and the most amazing people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

The best decision I made when booking my trip to Costa Rica was finding Hotel Perico Azul. From the moment I walked in and met The Manager Celine I knew my trip was going to be amazing. She was so friendly and made me feel at home from the moment I got there. The hotel has an amazing vibe, and everything you need. The location is ideal, two blocks from the beach and just a short walk into town. Celine was so knowledgeable about every attraction and anything you needed. I asked her about a zip lining Canopy tour and I was set up that very day. She arranged for them to pick me up at the hotel and bring me back after. She made it so easy for me and the whole thing was just $40. Also you need to check out The Tortuga surf school out of this hotel. If your looking to learn to surf Tortuga had the most knowledgeable instructors and it introduced me to more amazing people. Hands down this is the best place to stay in Jaco. But without Celine's amazing presence and hospitality my trip would not have been the same. Thank you for an amazing stay, and I'm already looking for the next time I can come back. :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

122 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Perico for 2 nights in June 2013. I was traveling alone and very nervous about staying in safe locations and I could not have felt better once I arrived. The manager Celine was a dream. She took time to explain the ins and outs of the hotel and how to get around Jaco. I was able to rent a bike for $5 a day which was AWESOME. You can walk to town and the beach but the bike made it much easier to get around. My room was right beside the pool and had a queen size bed, beautiful bathroom, TV, AC and a small kitchenette with burner, sink and refrigerator. The hotel itself is very very clean and safe with security precautions. I travelled through out Costa Rica dor 7 days and this was by far my favorite place of them all. BOOK IT!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

We stumbled across this gem on trip advisor and I'm so glad we booked it. I have traveled to Costa Rica for four years now and this was my mine and my husband's second time in Jaco. The hotel is cozy and super clean and is secured with a locked gate . It's not a stuffy touristy Marriott, you really get a local feel here. Surfers come here to surf all day and go to bed early to prepare for the next day's surf. Celine is an amazing host. The moment we arrived we felt like we had known her forever. She truly cares about her guests. One couple that went out on a tour to Tortuga Islands was running late in returning and it was storming. She was so worried about them and would not leave to have dinner without knowing they were safe. She called the tour company to check on them several times. They arrived back and she was so relieved. What other hotel do you know that would care this much about their guests? Do not stay anywhere else! This place is wonderful. You won't regret it!!!!

• Stayed May 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I am a Costa Rican/German citizen, living in the US for the last 12 years. I came to Costa Rica with my fiance to see my family and to take some time off. She wanted to go to a beach town, and I mentioned that Jaco was the one closest to the Central Valley, so only one and a half-two hours away. Now, I have not been in Jaco for almost 20 years, so, in some way, it was a new experience for me as well. I checked for hotels and found Perico Azul much cheaper than most other hotels. The reviews were good, so I decided to book it.
Honestly, the best choice ever. Celine is a great host, very personal, extremely helpful, and very knowledgeable. She can help you with any advice needed, either to organize a tour, to recommend some where to eat..., anything, just ask her and she will be ready and happy to help you. She also makes sure that guests try to meet each other, which helps to create a friendly environment and makes you also feel safe.
The hotel is small, very clean, quiet, an comfortable. Rooms have a/c, cable tv, nice clean bathroom and bed. A small pool in the middle of the hotel is great for refreshing. Some rooms have their own kitchenette and fridge (ask for it if you want that option), but there is also a common area that includes some nice hammocks, living room with cable tv, and kitchen, where you can cook whatever you want, ask for some space in the fridge. Celine always has some fruits and coffee ready to start your day.
The location is also great. Perico Azul is on the south/central area of the beach. Meaning you can walk 5 minutes to the busy downtown to find good food and fun. Also, you can walk 5 minutes to the quieter area of the beach to the south, less people and less noice.
Unless you are looking for a 5-star hotel, do not think twice to book this little jewel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband and I were backpacking and looking for an affordable place. We definitely got our money's worth with this place! The hotel owner, Celine is exceptional! She helped coordinate our excursions and took an interest in us and what we were doing. I saw her have similar interactions with the other guests. The days we were there all the guests were Americans. I believe we were the only couple that was not there to surf, which nobody minded. It sounded like the other guests really enjoyed the surf lessons they received from hotel staff. The rooms are sufficient with kitchens if you were to stay there a while and did not want to eat our every night. There was also an area similar to hostel with multiple bunk beds in one room connected to the hotel common area and master kitchen.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I'm an American citizen leaving in Costa Rica, so i have experienced it all when it comes to hotels in Jaco, I'm here constantly for work and I started learning how to surf with Hotel Perico Azul´s sister company Tortuga Surf School so i come and stay with them at the Perico that also works are their base camp.
This guys are running a great operation that would be the dream job for many people on the planet and its just awesome to see how they go truly out of their way to make sure your stay with them is pleasant.
Celine the manager will help you with your bus schedules, reservations for tours , airport transfer or even taxi boats to the peninsula, this girl knows her way around the hotel business, and Mike her companion its the man on charge of the water and he will be the right one to choose if you want to learn how to surf with true water man and certified professionals.
This is not your average Hotel or giant resort, this is a tiny cosy place with a huge amount of love put into every little detail with a nice home feeling to it!
I love Perico Azul and i cant wait until my next stay! Pura vida and thank you for all your help!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Jaco, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

What can I say? To start I can say thank you for everything. Celine and Michael go above and beyond the normal responsibilities of a hotel owner, that is because Perico Azul is much more than just another hotel. They are a family that treats you like you are part of the family coming to visit them at their home, expecting you to treat this beautiful hotel with the same respect you treat your own home. This family vibe keeps Perico Azul CLEAN, COMFORTABLE, RELAXING, AND SAFE. Perico Azul really enables you to find a much more wholesome side to Jaco, Celine makes sure to help direct you to the best places to eat, drink, shop, (which are all nearby) and experience any of the great activities that Jaco has to offer. Things like hiking, canopy tours, alligator shows, yoga, what ever it is your looking for Celine will do her best to put you in good hands. For example they have an in-house Surf School called Tortuga Surf which can be an unforgettable part of your Perico Azul experience. Michael is passionate teacher and makes sure you have a great time while still learning the right ways to surf. I stayed at Perico Azul for almost two weeks, the rooms were perfectly clean and cozy which was great after a long day of surfing and I am so thankful that I didn't book anywhere else. Celine and Mike made sure I had the best experience possible in every way. If a friend or family member asked me if I knew the best place to stay in Jaco, I would tell them Perico Azul and feel confident to know that they are safe and would have the time of their lives. Thanks again for everything

Room Tip: All the rooms are great.