“Great lesson!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 71 Activities in Jaco
Type: Surf Camps, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: From Grommets to Grandmas, Pro’s to “never done it”, we have you covered. 3 hours lessons at $65 per person which includes transport, guide/driver, instructor (Lifeguard Certified) and all equipment needed.Starts out with a half hour of theory and safety on the beach, then off to the water we go for 2+ hoursof the most exhausting and thrilling adventure you could ask for. Imagine, we have over 50 years total combined time in the water! After we wear you out and have shown you how to ride, quick trip back to the shop and we discuss abilities and assess the students equipment needs for future surfing. Equipment is available to rent of purchase should you choose.We are a drug free organization and proud sponsors of many of our best local surfers, not just a claim!Max 5 people per instructor.What do I bring?We supply the surfboards with leash, lycra surf shirts, and a ride to the spot we teach the lessons in. Bring swimwear (ladies should wear boardshorts, the waves will rearrange your bikini), towel, and… A BIG SMILE AND A POSITIVE ATTITUDE! Students should wear at least 30SPF waterproof/sweat proof sunblock, everyone gets a surfboard so you won’t be sitting around!Do you take pictures?As a surfshop we don’t! But if you would like to have all your fun and great surfing moments in pictures, let us know in advance and we will bring a photographer with us! Note: rates may vary.NEW!!! Frequent Traveler Board Storage. 10sq ft for $40/mo in secure warehouse. Room for 3 long boards or combination of items.
Durham, North Carolina
7 attraction reviews
“Great lesson!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Our 17 year old son did a lesson with Alberto over Christmas break and had a terrific time! Though it was scheduled as a group lesson, there were no other students, so he got Alberto's undivided attention for 2 1/2 hours. Great techniques, great teaching, great fun! And fun for a mom to watch as well!

Abita Springs
5 attraction reviews
“The Best Source in Jaco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I've been traveling to Costa Rica for about 12 years now, Chuck's WOW Surf shop was my very first surf shop stop then....and my only one now. Everyone in the shop is extremely knowledgeable and friendly, they have the best rental gear and the newest surf schwag, a must stop for anyone heading to Jaco. If you are lucky to meet up with Chuck in the shop he will be more than happy to tell you what's the latest surf report, where to go, what to do. Better yet if you meet up with him on the beach he is more than happy to tell you where to paddle out, what to watch out for and to have a great time "Pura Vida Style". Chuck also has a great group of Surf Instructors (Alberto is awesome) if you need any help...go see Chuck, stop by the Walk On Water (WOW) surf shop and say hi from me.

Visited May 2012
San Diego, California
“Lesson with Alberto”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I've had surf lessons from several excellent instructors in my home city of La Jolla, CA.
My lesson from Alberto Vasquez at Chuck's Wow Surf Shop was by far my best yet.
Alberto had me do some "pop ups" on a board before we even left the surf shop and analyzed my technique. He pointed out some mistakes I was making that other instructors never noticed. Before we even got to the beach Alberto was giving me good tips. Once we got in the water he took his time to make sure I knew how to get past the impact zone safely and set up a structure for our lesson. The big difference between Alberto and other instructors I've had in the past is that with Alberto, I never felt rushed. He took his time to make sure I understood what to do. His English was excellent. There were two students, including myself, and Alberto gave us equal time and attention. He picked just the right waves for us to catch and I stood up every time. I actually improved over the course of the lesson, so that by the end I was making turns. I had my best day of surfing yet! Last but certainly not least, the lesson was only supposed to be for one hour but Alberto stayed out there with us for two. Super nice guy, excellent teacher, Highly recommended!

Monroeville, New Jersey
“Lessons for my 5 year old son”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

What a great day of surf lessons with Alberto. My 5 year old son has been begging for surf lessons, my husband and I were were reluctant because we thought that he would get frustrated easily and give up. We were wrong!! Alberto was so patient and kind with my son and really took the time to explain everything to him. He made my son feel comfortable and confident in the water and on the board, the only problem is now my son is begging for more lessons. He even got my husband and myself up a few times. Thanks for a great day!

New York City, New York
“Chuck is a good man to know”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I've been coming to Jaco for about 17 years and have known Chuck and his shop since my first visit. If you want a high quality surf shop with nice, intelligent people and HIGH quality new and rental board inventory this is the place to go. The team here knows the area, the breaks and even the restaurants. And Chuck Erwig is just a good guy. Stop in and introduce yourself. You won't regret it!

Visited October 2012