“Worst fishing experience ever” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #58 of 71 Activities in Jaco
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Angry Marlin received the "CERTIFICATE OF EXCELLENCE 2011" from TripAdvisor! Angry Marlin offers 5 great boats and 5 different fishing adventures. Our boats range from 17 to 32 foot and we fish from the great ports Los Suenos, Tambor, Jaco and Puntarenas. All are located smack dab in the middle of the hottest fishing in the country, the central pacific region of Costa Rica. We offer offshore charters, Inshore charters and Estuary charters plus we include everything you need for a fun, hassle free day of fishing at no extra cost, even free ground transportation from your hotel.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Houston, Texas
“Worst fishing experience ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

I chose this fishing experience because of the other fantastic reviews. I have been on many fishing trips and fished with many guides. I can say, with confidence, that my experience with angry marlin was the worst experience I have ever had. Jose, the owner, picked us up late and brought his booty call from the previous night along on the trip. He brought 2 additional guides on the trip, and none of them seemed to know anything about fishing or driving a boat. I have never seen so many fish around me without catching a single one. Jose did not seem interested in changing our fishing strategy, he seemed more interested in yelling at his staff or making out with his lady friend. He told frightening stories about feeding his staff to crocodiles if they were disobedient. Our focus shifted from fishing to making it home safe. I strongly recommend against this business. To add insult to injury he played soft romantic hits from the 80's on the boat (must have scared the fish away ).

Visited December 2011
captainjose, Owner at Angry Marlin Sport Fishing - Private Charters, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Dear Bruce, thank you very much for your review.

I am really very surprised and sad that you have posted this comment without even trying to talk to me about any of your concerns while we were on the trip. However your comments will help us as a team address your concerns for future clients and we hope you give us another opportunity to take you out fishing again.

I really don’t believe the name calling or the way you described the people who assisted you on the trip was very appropriate, respectful or even relevant to the activity that we were all engaged in which was fishing.

After 7 years of operation this is the very first negative review here we have ever received and in reading it, I notice that it does not address any of the key issues of a fishing trip. The boat was exactly as represented, it worked fine and had plenty of room to fish. The fishing equipment was top notch and worked great. We had plenty of live bait and a great selection of lures. You enjoyed the food and did not give a negative mention of it here in your review because there was a good selection food and drink items to choose from. You caught plenty of fish that day, you saw some spectacular back water country with breath taking views and vistas of paradise. All our staff was friendly, helpful and gave you good service onboard, you even gave a generous tip!

I'm sorry that traffic delayed your pick up slightly by about 30 minutes. If I recall, however we did call and notify you of the delay that morning and we also extended the trip so you did not lose anytime on the water, but In Costa Rica unlike in the states the roads here are not the best, often a stalled car or traffic accident can backup and delay traffic for quite some time. The roads here lack safe places for cars to pull off to the edge so traffic gets blocked.

I'm sorry that you did not like some of the music that played on the boat, our 80 gig ipod if full and has a vast selection of music and Don Henley and the Eagles is one of our fishing favorites! However as we always do, we ask if you have an mp3 player or Ipod so we could play your music, but you did not, we changed the music the one time you requested and you seemed to not mind after that. The alternative local radio stations (mostly in spanish) often can be hard to get out at sea and the music is generally dated as well.

Fishing like anything takes skill and each client we take out fishing has varying degrees of skill with casting, reeling, sighting and standing in a rolling boat deck. Some clients are use to fishing on calm lakes others on less calm seas others from the shore. Being able to cast a line at a targeted areas is very important. When you and the members of your family were not able to do this our deckhands and myself stepped up and casted the lines for you then handed the poles over to you so you could enjoy the fight. You did get fish, not as many as you would have liked but you did catch some. We always do our best to hook you up with fish. Some days you can see them all around you and they don't bite, its just part of fishing. But when we did hook you up it was your job to keep the lines tight and not let them slack when you're on a fish. Boat decks roll and people without sea legs can loose balance which makes this all the more challenging when you're on the hook with a 35 pound tuna or or jack. This is why its called fishing and not catching, slack the line loose the fish as the saying goes!

In all fairness I hope you now notice the things we did right that day and we promise to improve on the things we did wrong.

You have my word on it! Capt. Jose

Reading, Pennsylvania
“A great inshore fishing adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

Hey Capt. Jose,

Finally had some computer time after hurricane Irene to say thanks for a great day fishing last month. For those of you shopping for a fishing charter, read the first three paragraphs of this great Angry Marlin website. There is not one iota of hype in those words! For those of you new to saltwater fishing as I was, Capt. Jose is a great teacher. As many of the testimonials say, you get not only great service and fishing, but conversation that's never dull, great food, and Jose is a compendium of knowledge about Pacific ecology.

We'll do it again next year Jose!

Bill Barber
Pennsylvania USA

Visited August 2011
4 attraction reviews
“You can't go wrong with Captain Jose and crew -super service, excellence of execution and great value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011 via mobile

I had a great excursion with Captain Jose and landed some great fish, an all around exellent adventure. I was picked up at my hotel and a little over an hour was at the marina. I landed some great fish including large Roosterfish, Amberjack, Rainbow Runners. After returning to port Capt Jose took me to a nearby restaurant where I hap a small portion of the Rainbow Runner prepared deliciously for dinner before I was returned to my hotel. I highly recommend Angry Marlin.

Las Vegas, Nevada
“Best fishing trip ever!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

My friend and I went to Costa Rica this May, we found numerous of different people that were offering fishing trips. But we deceided to go with AngryMarlin fishing, and wow that was the best choice of the trip. From the start of the adventure. Capt and his mate picked us up at our hotel. bright and early. they had a fully loaded Ford Excursion. The Capt. was great from the start. HE had a terrific sense of humor. Knew the lay out of the area. and gave us a tour of the country side while en route to his own port. Once at the port he and his whole staff where very great and knowledgeable and were very professional. I thought he was running a military formation with his crew. and his crew was top notch. Once on the boat. he had drinks, food and snacks. he was witty and smart. the crew was quick on their toes and could handle any situation that arised. we caught numerous fish and he knew all the right areas to go. he, the capt, knew the locals and spoke their language. and he was able to translate for us. he knew customs and cultures. he knew every fish in the ocean the way to catch all different types. you name it he can do it. a true professional. if i was to own a country and that country needed a naval and if that navy needed a capt, it would be him. thank you for the great trip. we will be back often and only will i be fishing with him the the angry marlin.

Visited May 2011
San Francisco, California
“An Absolute Must Do Costa Rica Adventure Even if You Don't Fish!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

I'm not much of a fisherman and my wife is even less interested, so on our resent trip to Costa Rica we never thought to go fishing. But some at our hotel suggested we go and give it a try. They suggested we contact Captain Jose of Angry Marlin Sport Fishing and all I can say is were so glad we did! We did an inshore fishing trip with him and just exploring the backwaters and inlets where he took us was worth the cost if the trip. But to then hook up with two very large rooster fish at the same time and see the panic on my wife's face as we both struggled for over 30 minutes to land them will long be one of the most cherished memories of our time together in Costa Rica. Captain Jose an American from So. Cal is living the life and I strongly suggest anyone going to visit Costa Rica even if you don't fish give him a call! You'll not regret it and youll be the better for it.

Visited May 2011