“Horseback riding in Costa Rica” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 65 Activities in Jaco
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Horse riding Jaco Costa Rica. Discovery horse tours were awarded a "Certificate of Excellence" in the Trip Advisor awards 2011,2012 and 2013. If you want an unforgettable tour (tours duration ranges from 2.5 hours up to a full day, or a full week!) through the rain forest, on the beach or into the mountains Discovery Horse Tours are total equine professionals. Renowned for making sure the horses as well as the clients have a fabulous time they are "so much more" than just a horse tour! Specializing in small groups of no more than 8 people (4 on the beach)your tour will always feel personal. Located on a stunning 1500 acre private rain forest reserve, you will share the trails with no one but the wildlife. You will LOVE the horses who are safe, fun and most importantly happy and incredibly well cared for. Ride through pristine rain forest to the secret spring fed waterfall, or gallop along the deserted beaches. If you are on Honeymoon check our website for details on your private rain forest adventure with champagne and a private mud bath. No experience necessary. Beginners will feel secure,confident and in control. Experienced riders can enjoy the thrill of galloping our fit and healthy horses across the open hay fields. Consistently described as "The highlight of our trip to Costa Rica". Famous for the love of their animals, customer care and attention to detail; you will love your time with Discovery Horse Tours! All our horses are trained using Parelli Natural horsemanship, they are treated with respect, dignity and love, we take our time to match clients with the right horse making sure they have a wonderful time.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Toronto, Canada
“Horseback riding in Costa Rica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My wife and i and our 7 year old daughter had a wonderful morning of riding with Chris and Andy at Discovery Horseback Tours today. The horses were excellent and the property is magnificent! Andy is a true animal lover, a great coach and an ecologist to boot. And Chris walked on foot the entire ride so that he could watch over our daughter.
The mud bath in the rain forest was a great experience for the body and the soul, and a nice break around the half way point.

New Philadelphia, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
“Discovery Horse Tours”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was our second ride with Discovery Horse Tours and once again we were blown away! Chris, Andrea & Julia have a great thing going there and we feel lucky to be able to share in it. The Jungle Spa tour is so much fun, my young daughter loves it, and you never know what you might see...we actually had a herd of wild pigs run across our path and the horses (and Andrea, who was on foot leading my daughter's horse!!!) were all impressively calm and gentle. We also saw a poison dart frog and a humming bird nest with eggs in it! DO THIS TOUR, even if you are anxious around horses...within five minutes of starting out you will have forgotten why you were anxious and you will be so glad you went! Also, don't miss the chi frio con pollo at the soda down the road...we went to the wrong soda on the day of our tour but found the right one a few days later and LOVED it!

Midland, Canada
9 attraction reviews
“Authentic Horseback Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Today we arose early to go horseback riding. We didn't realize the adventure would start before the ride. Heading off the main paved road to a narrow gravel one, we passed by farms, fields with lush green trees behind them, and crossed a meandering river several times. Fortunately, we had written directions to get there as we drove into driveways and through pillars, across cattle grates and finally came to the paddock. Chris and Andrea greeted us and acquainted us with the much loved horses. The horses all vied for Andrea's attention as she had a pocket of treats for them. The horses were easy to handle as Andrea gave us a quick lesson on how to hold the reins and give the horses the right signals. We rode through open fields, and past primary and secondary forests. As we rode through a tall shaded forest on clear trails except for the odd fallen tree, roots and streams, we enjoyed the cool air and loud noise of the cicadas. We came to a fresh spring where we enjoyed a mud massage and soaked in the cool clear waters. Andrea provided us with water and juice and fresh fruit. The ride back was shorter and for the most part shaded. We did hear toucans, but never saw them. I do suggest you take water with you as I had forgotten mine and needed it. When we were finished Andrea suggested a soda for lunch. Turn right onto the road and go for approximately 200 metres. We had chifrio con pollo which is a Costa Rican dish a combination of rice, beans, chicken and chopped tomatoes with tortilla chips.

Visited March 2013
LovinlifePV, Owner at Discovery Horse Tours, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
I am so glad you had a great time. it is always best to carry water at all times in Costa Rica as dehydration is the travelers No 1 enemy. We always carry water in the guides saddle bag in case of thirst along the way. Also 45 mins into the ride we stop and have water, fresh juices and water.
Jaco, Costa Rica
“Great owners, great horses, great tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

My friend and I thoroughly enjoyed this unique tour! Andrea and Chris have beautiful, well-fed, well-trained horses and it shows! For a nervous novice like me they made me feel very comfortable and the horses were so responsive. The jungle scenery was beautiful and having a mud bath in the middle of it was a highlight! Andrea was a friendly and informative guide. I highly recommend this tour to anyone in the area, it was by far my best experience with horseback riding yet!

Visited February 2013
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
“Dream Come True”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Beautiful, much loved horses with sterling behavior, caring knowledgable guides, gorgeous scenery and a spa experience sum up this highlight of my trip to Costa Rica. While on the trail I was overcome by dehydration (my fault entirely) and thanks to Andrea and Chris fast reacting I was treated and able to continue my dream ride. Never could I have conjured a better vacation experience and I live to return and do this ride again. I know I will add the beach ride as well.

This is a must do for everyone who wants to see the real Cost Rica.

Visited February 2013
LovinlifePV, Owner at Discovery Horse Tours, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
We are so glad that you enjoyed yourself. You were such a trooper and you were not going to let illness ruin your time. We loved meeting you, you had such a positive outlook on life. See you at the beach!!