“not recommended!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Palm Hotel

Save Saved
You added Blue Palm Hotel to your Saves list
Blue Palm Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   350 mts Este de la Pops Ice Cream Store, Jaco 75548, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #36 of 42 hotels in Jaco
Tallahassee, Florida
“not recommended!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

the A/C only works when you're in the room, you have to press a button when you get into the room to turn the electricity on, and our system glitched and turned off in the middle of the night! our window was mysteriously opened at some point in the night, we believe due to the not so ideal location. And we were sore the next morning from how terrible the beds were!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

74 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Isle of Palms, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Hotel waas very affordable...staff was very helpful finding tours and taxis/rides to arenal as well as a good recommendation for places to stay and things to do...downside...major construction next door , but as one reviewer said I did not come to sleep...noise starts at 630 til 4 pm...I am an early riser so no problem....if you rise early I would recommend it...just down the street from a great food place...The Taco Bar...good breakfast great meal all the time...cold beer too

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Jackson, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

best deal in town

so when i found myself back in jaco i did not hesitate to check back into the hotel blue palms ~ i found all the desk staff to speak excellent english as well as being a plethora of information on jaco & options in the area for activities & tours ~ i enjoyed the privacy of the pool area to enjoy the morning sun & there is a deck area for lounging anytime ~ my room was clean with daily maid service ~ hot water, a safe & even cable tv for folks who need it.... wireless internet works though out the complex ~ bicycles are available & are a great way to get around the not so big town ~ it does take a few minutes to walk back to the hotel from the beach which is nice as you are outside the main strip area which is prone to havoc at anytime of the day or night ~ there is currently construction of a multi million dollar condo complex next door which did not bother me as i did not go to costa rica to sleep they day away inside m air conditioned hotel room ~ elvis the night time security guard does as good a job as anyone can to keep us safe from the out~side world while we visit dreamland ~ just down the street is a small soda for breakfast & a small store as well ~ thanks to all at the hotel blue palms for helping to make my time in costa rica memorable

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

An owner of a hotel in Spain told me that she thought TripAdvisor can be used as a weapon against a fair-minded hotel.

I agreed, but also said that for a traveler like me, it is all I have to bargain with when I get an unfair hotel or below-average service.

But it is not uncommon in talking to owners to hear that guests make unreasonable demands promising bad reviews on TripAdvisor if they don't get their way.

The reviews by "stavenger" "Jim S", "Verly '" and "Toralf B" are by thugs just using their ability to damage the Blue Palm Hotel rather than express honest opinions.

A few guys pissed-off for no reason other than their unreasonableness, looking to beat up an honest hotel owner just because TripAdvisor gives them a public forum to do so.

No reviews from any of them before or since...no likes or dislikes...but suddenly they all hate the Blue Palm, an unjustified use of a weapon, not an attempt to relate what they believe about the hotel, but just to see how much blood they can draw.

I had not even sat down on my arrival at the hotel before I mentioned my concerns to the owner after reading these four reviews the day before visiting Jaco.

I had pre-paid four nights, and it was too late to change.

I toured the hotel with owner Rolf and listened to his side of these guests, and it was clear to me that his hotel had been unfairly maligned by a few guests-from-purgatory traveling together.

I also viewed every available room and took a good look at the spotlessly clean swimming pool.

The rooms are very nice and extremely clean.

The pool would not look out of place at the very best five-star boutique hotel.

The rooms...and the whole hotel...are precisely as they appear in the photographs, despite the dishonest comments of these reviewers who claim that the pictures do not reflect the hotel.

The ability to write reviews that can affect someone's business is a weapon that travellers can use to protect themselves as TripAdvisor gives us a lot of power against unfair hotels.

But from someone who has visited the Blue Palm Hotel, I am clear that these four negative reviews are just from thugs who were unhappy at being treated as any reasonable hotel owner would treat them and instead of throwing a brick their to the hotel window, they resort to the Internet-age equivalent....

...they unfairly trash the hotel online in a forum where the travellers is likely to believed over the owner.

But if you are looking for a solid three-and-a-half hotel with a five-star pool that is a short walk from the beach, I recommend the Blue Palm Hotel as an inexpensive and excellent choice.

It is a friendly, hospitable, and clean place to stay run by staff who are eager to make you comfortable.

These are not reviews. They are muggings by vindictive people who were justly refused an unfair request from Blue Palm owner, Rolf.

Blackmail: Give us what we want or we will trash you on TripAdvisor, and the owner did the correct thing and refused to give in.

I am giving this hotel the highest rating because it is an excellent hotel in its class and a great place to stay.

There was not anything that I didn't like about this hotel.

If I return to Jaco, I will stay here again, not simply because I was completely satisfied, but also because I hate thugs who throw bricks through windows.

And worse: They probably enjoyed doing it.

I would like to invite those TripAdvisor users who have had a positive experience at the Blue Palm to write about it here to undo the vandalism of these four reviews.

The rating system weights the number of positive and negative reviews, and these people have unfairly weighted this hotel on the negative side, and their reviews will damage the hotel's rating indefinitely.

If you understand what I am trying to say and how a business can be unfairly maligned, please write something nice if you liked staying here.

If no one stands up against thugs, they win.

Thank you Rolf, Raoul, (beautiful) Roxanna, Elvis, Erlyn, Erica, and Eric.

I loved everything about the Blue Palm Hotel and all its staff.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I travel frequently in Costa Rica, and never have I stayed in a worse hotel. The website makes it look attractive and describes it as "near" the beach. It is, however, located on one of the noisiest and most unattractive streets in Jaco, right next to a construction site. The reception area is unkempt, small and unpleasant. One must pay in full before you are given a towel and shown to your room.Never was there a friendly smile from the desk clerk, and I had to ask for glasses for the sink.There were no chairs in the room, just two beds. The pool is small and over chlorinated.. True, the air-conditioner worked, but it goes off when you leave the room because the electricity is cut. There was water, albeit not very hot, and the shower could be the star attraction in an antiques museum. I would have left the hotel upon arrival had I not given my credit card number when making a reservation. Avoid this hotel at all costs!

Room Tip: As far as I am aware, there aren't any good rooms.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Ithaca, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

HypersonicStavanger is right about the lack of circulation within the rooms. When we arrived, it did seem rather dank for comfort. However, you eventually get used to it.

I appreciated the service at the front desk, if only it means that nice Costa Rican girl who could hold a conversation. She helped me with directions when I got an eye infection and needed to see the doctor and get my medication (speaking of which, just don't get sick in Jaco).

There is also a pool facility in the place, but don't expect anything too big. I'm not sure if the Jacuzzi was working, because we didn't know how to turn it on. We got a room on the second floor for most nights, and it had 2 double beds and 2 singles. It even had its own refrigerator and kitchen set-up, which was extremely handy for us. We had to extend an additional night, so they shifted us to another room on the corner of the 2nd floor, which had 2 windows and 2 double beds. Also adequate.

Nothing extremely exciting about this place, but I would consider this place if I return to Jaco! I would like to find something just a little closer though, it takes a good 10-15 minute walk from to beach to get to the hotel, which can be tiring. I did read that Blue Palm has a lowest-price guarantee for any offer from a hotel with a similar quality and location, you should check with them.

Great restaurants nearby, by the way.

Room Tip: The one on the corner was nice. Facing the main road.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Stavanger
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This should not be called a hotel, rather a humid, dark, and stinking potato-cellar.
The rooms really smell unhealthy fungus and the aircondition sounds like an airplane taking off.
No fresh air!
Since management mean that all rooms are allright, the faults will probably not be fixed in the nearest future.........
We have been to Costa Rica two times, been there in total 7 weeks, travelled across the entire country and stayed at at least 15 different hotels, This is definitely the worst !!
My advise; keep off !!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
bluepalm99, Owner at Blue Palm Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Like your friend was told already and at the time, contact your booking agency, we do not give cash refunds when you pay by credit card!

1.) Costa Rica is a tropical location and very hot and humid, especially by the Ocean.
2.) Guests requested a different room but we were full and told them we would change them in a day or two to the second floor. Christmas and New Year’s period is peak season, booked solid months in advance. Jaco fills up on weekends and Holidays so please book in advance to not be disappointed for accommodation.
3.) We do not use chemicals as described, we have an electronic Ozonator ionizer to eliminate odors, smoke, and smells from the rooms, same type used to sterilize hospital surgical rooms. No chemicals.
4.) The guests were told to contact the booking agency about the situation; they refused to do so and demanded cash from us. They paid by credit card to the Agency and wanted us to give a cash refund, not possible sorry. All cancelations, refunds, and changes must be made though the Agency that made the booking.
5.) We have one of the cleanest Hotels around Jaco, well lit with good security, a nice pool, and an eight minute walk to beach side. Close enough to walk to the center of the action and far enough away not to be disturbed from it.

Been to Blue Palm Hotel? Share your experiences!