“Unsurpassed hospitality made the trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Palm Hotel

Bookmark
You added Blue Palm Hotel to your Saves list
Blue Palm Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   350 mts Este de la Pops Ice Cream Store, Jaco 75548, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #36 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Pismo Beach, California
“Unsurpassed hospitality made the trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Stayed at the Blue Palm with a good friend from Washington. We went to Costa Rica primarily for the surf and adventure. We were met by the owners Ralph and Raul. They were both very generous and attentive to our needs. They found us surf boards, took us to the best surf spots, booked trips for us, recommended things to do, places to eat. They were constantly making sure that our stay was a memorable one. Their hospitality and generosity is what made the trip for us. Really nice guys. The hotel was very clean. It has A/C, TV, nice beds, very affordable. I found the location to be perfect. They are a short walk from downtown and away from the noise. I welcomed this. They have a nice pool, safe in the room. They have deals with many of the local businesses so that you can get discounts you wouldn't normally get. I would go back in a heart beat. Never experienced this kind of customer service in all of the travels that I've done. Economy pricing with world class service. Pura Vida Ralph and Raul

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Baltimore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

This was my 1st trip to Jaco, Cr. I was a solo traveler. I found this hotel on Trip Advisor. I was a little apprehensive, but i decided if i didn't like it I would just check out. Before I forget there is an exit tax of $26.00.

As previous hotel guest stated, there was a young lady named Melissa who answered all of my email questions and made me feel a little more staying there. She was the receptionist. She actually resigned 4 days before I arrived. Ralph who is the owner had the housekeeper temporarly play dual roles. He did hire a new receptionist while I was there. She is 19 and very pretty. I think her name is Laureen. However the last two days of my trip I did not see her at all. The hotel is actual a 1/2 mile away from the beach. They have bikes you can rent for $4.00 a day. It's actually a pretty good way to explore Jaco. There are local and tourist bicycle riders everywhere. This hotel is for the budget traveller. I recommend the deluxe room as it has two queen size beds and is on the second floor. The room went for $60.00 a night. The pool is clean and small. Good for cooling off after a day of being on adventure tours or at the beach. The rooms are clean. However you have to ask the housekeeper to clean your room everyday when in check in. Ralph is very informative when it comes to the area and will answer any of your questions regarding places to eat or tourist activities. The only negative thing i can say about the hotel is the fact it's 1/2 mile from the beach on a side road. I had a 2nd floor room in the fron of the hotel. The view was a vacant grassy lot. Also he needs to upgrade his beds. Actually just having a box spring will do the trick. It's just a matress on a frame. All the rooms come with motion sensors for the electricity. So when you leave the lights and air shut off within 10 seconds. The rooms have cable tv with old bulky flat screens. Also there is a small refrigerator in the room as well.

Regarding the area there is a soda (restaurant) & liquor store next to the hotel. The food is good and cheap. I breakfast there pretty much everyday. It's set up like a small buffet, but they will cook to order anything you want. Normal price for a large breakfast is $4.00. I always had the chicken omlette with rice and beans. There are also several other sodas on the main beach strip as well. There is also a small pizzeria a block away from the hotel on the left hand side called the Bamboo King. It's excellent. I highly recommend the ATV tours and zip line tours. The best part of my trip. Do the 4 hour ATV tour where it takes you up to the waterfalls. The ATV tour will run you around $100 and the zip line tour around $60.00. If you eat at the small sodas they are ar bargain. If you eat any where else you will pay a normal price for meals like you are in the Maryland. So keep that in mind. In regards to night life you have the Monkey Bar, Beattle Bar, and the Loft. I highly recommend the Monkey Bar. Cab rides to and from the club are $3.00. FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT THE NIGHTLIFE.

Overall if you are on a budget and want a clean place to stay this hotel is not bad. However I will most likely not stay here again. I did not like being 1/2 mile away from the beach. Other reviews and hotel advertisiing stated 5 minutes from the beach. Not hardly. Plus i did not like the view of the open grassy lot. However I found a hotel that suites me more for $99.00 a night during the week and $104.00 on the weekend located on the beach. I will gladly pay the $45.00 difference. Hotel Villas Tangeri. One last thing there is a gentleman by the name of steve who owns Surfer Express. It's a transportation business. He is from the florida, but lives in Jaco now. He can pick you up from the airport for $80.00. He is very informative and will tell you the do's and don'ts for a single male traveller. email address srw517@hotmail.com

Room Tip: Try Hotel Villas Tangeri, www.hoteltangeri.com
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Cologne, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

The Blue Palm is the perfect mid-range place in Jaco! Rooms are spotless and nicely decorated. But again it's the friendliness of the staff and especially of the owner that makes this place special. He even took me to a quick bike ride through the surroundings to show me the places worth visiting or showed us tukans early in the morning. Would absolutely recommend the Blue Palm!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

Hotel is five minute walk form the beach, on a nice safe main road. The hotel was just OK, i mean a room and thats it. We only needed that, they have a pool but thats it. Very close to all, jaco beach a rocky dirty beach. We left next day, did not enjoy the area at all. Close to the Taco Bar, such good fresh food that was the best thing about this stay. If your young, surfer, party person jaco is for you....

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

We stayed in Jaco Playa for 4 nights at the end of our trip. Jaco was great for the varierty of stores, restaurants and bar. Blue Palm was ideal location as it was only 5 min walk to the main strip but far away so that we were not bother by the night activities. The rooms were simple, clean and the customer services from Melissa at the front desk was remarkable. She took care of us and was very receptive in our changes. A great value for our money. We would go back again.

Playa Jaco is a great hub for many activities. Our favorite spot was by far Taco Bar that was down the road from our place. The dinners, breakfast and/or 1 litre smooties are not to be missed.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Pownal, Maine, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

Had a great stay. Friends of mine have already booked there for April on my suggestion. If I'm back in Jaco, I'll be at the Blue Palm.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

Hey if you are looking for a relaxed, clean and well maintained place to hang your hat in Jaco, this is your place. Rolf was our guide to more than just our hotel. Rolf owns and runs the establishment and it's not hard to see he enjoys what he does. We had questions and Rolf had answers. Rolfs' experience was clearly needed to make educated decisions regarding our travels. I would highly recommend a stay at the Blue Palm. Pura Vida Rolf

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Blue Palm Hotel? Share your experiences!