“Restaurant review” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Morgan's Cove Resort & Casino

You added Morgan's Cove Resort & Casino to your Saves list
Morgan's Cove Resort & Casino
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150mts de la municipalidad de Jaco, Jaco 61101, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #25 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Sallisaw, OK
“Restaurant review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

This is primarily about the restaurant at Morgan's cove. Ate there last night, and we both loved the meal. The place had essentially no crowd, but, you gotta understand that it was midweek past the busy season and beginning of the off season. Food was outstanding, service was excellent. Since the motel was not fully booked, they prepared our meal from scratch as we waited. Took a little longer than usual, and our server was apologetic about the delay, but....it was cooked to order and brought out fresh and hot. It wasn't until we finished our meal that we discovered that we could have eaten at the bar. Several other guests arrived as we ate, had a drink or few, and ordered their meal. We joined them at the bar, and had a blast. The owner or manager was there during the evening. We had fun just hanging around. Only about 8 or 10 people, and a night that was waiting for another rainstorm. A good place to be on a Thursday nite. Outstanding view from the restaurant. We watched the lagoon and the ocean. The birds swoop the lagoon constantly, fishing. You can watch the combers roll in even on a moonless night. Crashing waves make for excellent dinner music. Good food, and reasonable prices. Neither of us could finish our meals, so you know there's plenty served.

It is our regret that we didn't say at Morgan's Cove during our trip. The place is very well kept, modern, and attractive. Right on the beach. It is not in the downtown area, but located on the south end of Jaco Beach, just a short trip in to town, only a two or three dollar cab ride. Nice pool, great views of the ocean, mountains and the lagoon. I'm not sure you can beat the place for the price. Having read reviews, they seem to be kind of harsh about MC. It is not an all inclusive place, and not a mega-luxury resort. But, we've stayed in many different establishments in Jaco over the past few years, and this on looks to be about the most attractive looking establishment around, especially considering room rates. We'll be back here next year, and this is where we'll stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

To be clear - there are two morgans cove locations. The 'resort and casino' is the one you want to stay at. It's 20$ more a night and it is worth it trust me. We made the mistake of booking the other location which is not as nice - and the staff were very accommodating when we asked to move to the beach resort.

We loved Morgans Cove. The food I will say, was amazing. Everyday was a different themed buffet which was fresh and flavorful. The new head chef - I've forgotten his name - was so sweet, I told him I was a vegetarian and he made sure I had lots of items to choose from each meal. He also gave us some fruit and muffins to take with us when we visited the national park one afternoon.

The casino should be changed to a nightclub with bands, no one was inside.

The rooms are nice, my only complaint is that the step going into the shower wasn't high enough to keep the water from running on the floor. But the room gets cleaned everyday so no big deal.

The bartender at the pool didio - I believe - was hilarious ! He made the drinks just how I wanted them, and even when there was no one else at the pool he made it feel like there was a party. He gave me a big hug when we left and thanked us for coming to Morgans Cove.

Went surfing one morning, Juan Carlos was our instructor. He helped us paddle and get set up in the waves so we could get up on the board as many times as we could - without getting tired. I wanted to give up when I swallowed some water but he encouraged me to keep going and I'm glad I did!

Check out the alligator in the river behind the restaurant. And sneak some food to the beach dogs who wonder by :) Lots of animal lovers here - a few cats, a bird with a bum leg and lizards are loved and cared for by staff and guests alike.

Morgans Cove is close enough to walk into town, and far enough that it's not a crazy party resort. Check it out!

Stayed March 2014
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Fabulous location - right on the beach! The hotel consists of cabins with airconditioning and ensuite facilities. The staff are wonderful, the food is superb and the whole resort is kept clean and tidy. Ofcourse there is wild life at every turn and the sunsets could never be forgotten. I was there in March and had sun all the time.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Morgan's Cove has 80 rooms - so it fitted us (a group of 76) perfectly having a reunion and a blast for an extra long week-end. We could not have chosen a better place for location, friendly service and enjoyment. The food was good too; a pleasant breakfast buffet, outstanding fish soup and lobster bisque, fine pastas and fish, although the mahihi was disappointingly dry to my taste and the local beef not up to the American or Canadian standard. We experienced a large power blackout just before our last, gala dinner. But somehow, the kitchen managed to present a excellent meal. Well done!

The resort is older. The rooms are large and clean with a safe in all rooms. Some of the older rooms should be in for renovation, however, especially the ones with a "stepped up" bathtub that can be very dangerous to exit with wet feet.

There are two sections; the newer, eastern section with a large pool and swim-up bar, surrounded by ground-floor and 1st floor rooms; and the older, western section with a children's pool and another smaller pool, with ground floor rooms only, closest to the beach. The bar, restaurant with function loft are located in the latter section.

The beach as such is with volcanic black sand, rather rocky and rough, great for surfers but difficult for any but skilled swimmers. There is a small casino on the resort. All is clean and well kept. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. It is perhaps all in all a three star resort, but the experience for us was four stars.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Stayed in Morgans Cove with a friend in April and really enjoyed our stay. The General Manager Joey was excellent - I must say it's the most friendly and attentive service that I've had at a hotel, even better than 5stars that I've stayed at.

For the price, it's good value. Rooms are clean and hotel grounds are well kept, though bear in mind that you are getting what you pay for so don't expect luxury.

Location is great, it's 5mins walk to the main strip in Jaco and the hotel is right on the beach. Look out for the croc in the river next to the hotel!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
North Pole, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

We found Morgan's Cove to be a wonderful place to stay. The owner, Jim and the staff were all warm and friendly. The resort and grounds are beautiful and so very relaxing, just what we were looking for. We enjoyed it so much that we extended our stay for an extra couple of nights rather than travel somewhere else in Costa Rica. Our room was clean and spacious and quite comfortable. There wasn't extremely hot water in the shower but as warm as it is in Costa Rica that was not a problem for us at all. The complimentary breakfast was a nice plus and more than adequate for us each morning.

While we were there we booked two excursions. One was a 4-wheeler ride to a nice waterfall for a swim and the other was to Manuel Antonio, where we saw lots of wildlife and beautiful beaches.

Downtown Jaco is about a 10 minute walk away or an inexpensive cab ride (about $3-4usd). You can find pretty much anything you could want to eat there, some shopping and also some nightlife for entertainment.

We would definitely stay at Morgan's Cove again!

Room Tip: Our room was located across from the Casino, it was quiet and centrally located on the property. Ver...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I had the pleasure of visiting Costa Rica on a work junket recenty, and whilst many on my crew were disapppointed, I enjoyed my experience.
Overall, Costa Rica and the general feel, beaches, restaurants, main streets and design reminded me so much of Indonesia, it was uncanny. I'm a surfer tragic and I can see the appeal of both places.
In regards to our resort and accom, the hotel is run down a bit and about 3 star, but the staff were excellent at night, slack during the day.
The food was average and the casino and bar was not opened that much due to it starting to quiten off in town.
The pools did the job and location to beach was spot on.
10 mins walk if that to shops and main street.
The rooms were big, aircon and ok for 3 star. No issue from me. The showeres were old though, but again no issue from me in the heat to have cold one's...

I will be back for sure to surf and chill for a month at some stage.....

Good feel, nice people and vibe.

Hope this helps...

Cheers......G

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Been to Morgan's Cove Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!