“Worth it's value!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Morgan's Cove Resort & Casino

You added Morgan's Cove Resort & Casino to your Saves list
Morgan's Cove Resort & Casino
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150mts de la municipalidad de Jaco, Jaco 61101, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #21 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
“Worth it's value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Found this place through Living Social and decided to come here and celebrate our 2nd year anniversary. Bottom line, the food was really good and different options were offered, drinks are great and the service is outstanding. (Jose was AWESOME!) We were able to enjoy some beautiful sunsets and capture a few awesome pictures. This location is within walking distance to town which was great! A very special moment and very nice touch was when the staff and the owner surprised us with a personalized cake wishing us a Happy Wedding Anniversary!! We got to share the cake with other visitors along with the staff. Morgan's Cove does not claim to be a 5 star resort however it did meet our expectations. We will definitely come back and share this experience. Thank you Morgan's Cove!! Pura Vida!!

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
San Antonio, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

While the staff was very friendly, the room itself had some issues. We asked to be put in a room with 1 bed instead of the 2 beds we'd reserved...they were happy to accomodate us. However, this room was wheelchair accessible...therefore, the shower flooded when we used it since there was no lip to keep the water in. We encountered 3 roaches (not small ones). The sheets on our bed were actually ripped!
The restaurant was a whole other dilemma. Since we were part of the "all-inclusive" plan, we were given a different menu than other guests. This menu offered less and less each day. We were only allowed 1 entree per meal with NO substitutions. I was offended when I could not get fresh fruit with my breakfast instead of toast and hashbrowns. They did appease me one morning, but after that the waiter made sure to say, "1 entree only".
They were low on help at the bar and restaurant...we even had to sit and eat dinner at the bar one night instead of a table since he was the only one working.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I purchased this vacation through Groupon, which already shows that they're struggling a little for bringing people in. We went in July, which is evidently their off season, which was kind of nice. I might be young, but I feel my wife and I are traveled enough to know when we're getting good service, reputable hospitality, and my money's worth. Overall, I was dissatisfied with Morgan's Cove Resort. Redefine what "All-Inclusive", No Smoking, and hospitality means to you, lower your expectactions for service and quality, and you're good to go to Morgan's Cove.
Upon our arrival to the airport, we were greeted with the shuttle service scheduled through the front desk prior to our arrival. This was easy and I was very satisfied, even though it was a little on the expensive side to travel to the resort ($190 and a 1.5-2 hour beautiful drive from San Jose International Airport). Once we arrived at the resort, we quickly saw that what was communicated online or through the Groupon page was not what you should expect when getting to the resort. An example is on the list of what's provided in your Beach Front room was: WiFi and a Safe. First, the WiFi is only available (with a good strong signal) at the pools, restaurant, or bar area. Second, a safe is included in your room. However, they failed to mention that you are not given a key to the safe unless you pay $3/night. In hindsight, this is not that big of a deal as far as money goes, however, I told the front desk to try and explain this online as people do not want to feel tricked into what is included in their room. The woman had the nerve to say that a safe in clearly included in the room, just not a key. Also, the pictures used on groupon and their website are QUITE deceiving for what it looks like, at least during the off season.
Also, located at the bar is a sign that clearly reads "No Smoking." Now, I personally do not judge people who choose to smoke, however, as a person who has paid just as much money or more (since we were in the beach front room and not many people were) to stay at a hotel and there are signs for no smoking, I assume that the owner, staff, and patrons would respect this. Instead, the owner of the restaurant chose to smoke at the bar every night essentially allowing other patrons to follow along. So every night we ate at the restaurant or sat at the bar, we couldn't breath or had to smell the stench of cigarettes and cigars when eating our food or trying to enjoy our drinks. Lastly, even though the plan we purchased was "All-Inclusive", I would use this term VERY loosely. When trying to order food from the menu that is clearly labeled "All-Inclusive", you're only able to order one meal off the menu. Don't even think about trying to mix and match things from the menu. One morning, a woman asked for the omelette, and instead of hash browns, she wanted fruit. Who knew you had to go to the front desk to get fruit on your plate instead of hash browns?
I knew prior to traveling to Morgan's Cove that this was a 3 star resort, yet I would give them a low 2 star rating (not 1 star because we didn't have bed bugs, although there were bugs all over our room and back patio). A little hint for staying there and saving money, go to the grocery store and get bottled water, as opposed to spending 1-2 dollars for the bottled water at the resort. I'm sure the staff will reply to this trying to make some lame excuses for each of my complaints. Please, do yourself a favor and do extensive research and lower your expectations prior to traveling to Morgan's Cove.
Jaco, in general, was what was to be expected. It was a smaller town in Costa Rica that is known for it's surfing and food. It is safe and easy to walk around. This was a great escape for my wife and I, so everyday, we left the resort trying to make something out of our vacation. The massages were incredible in downtown and so cheap! (~$35/person/hour) We also did a 10-in-1 adventure tour though King Tours. Read their review if you want know about them. It was incredible. This was a surprise trip for my wife and I on our 2 year anniversary. Looking back, I wish I had done more research and found a different location, hotel, and overall service.

Room Tip: Beach Front rooms 1-6 are near the bar and restaurant. So if you want privacy and less noise, get a...
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I was nervous about staying at a hotel booked through expedia. Given the fact that my friend and I had done little to no research on hotels, location, and only went off of the prices I was completely unsure of what to expect. Luckily the experience was very pleasant. Our room was on the smaller side of hotel rooms, but it was very clean and nice (had two single beds, ac, a tv, and a pretty cute little bathroom). I believe they offer larger rooms as well. The hotel is not too large, has two pools that are also very clean and seemingly well maintained. The service was very good. All staff were polite and were helpful. The hotel is about 5 minutes walking distance from the town's mainstreet which is convenient if you want to check out the food options and souvenir shops, but its also just far enough from the hustle and bustle that is the mainstreet.

Apart from being a very quite and simple (no frills) hotel, its location, literally feet away from the beach is definitely a major plus. Although the beach isn't as clean and pristine as other Costa Rican beaches, it is definitely still a great experience to have a few feet away from the hotel room.

Beware of the occasional roach in your room (its a tropical country and its to be expected, no big deal) and of the iguanas roaming around the property.

The restaurant/bar is decent, providing the usual Americanized breakfast (did not try their lunch/dinner options). The breakfast buffet on the weekends is definitely better than their menu options. The second most outstanding thing about this hotel is their bartenders. I literally had some of the best mixed drinks made here. They are all very good at blending and mixing away to create the perfect concoction for you.

All in all, I had a wonderful trip and would definitely consider coming to this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Fairfield, Iowa, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Hello All, my fiance` and I stayed her several weeks ago as a part of our journey in Costa Rica. This establishment is the only place I used my cards this trip everything else was paid for in cash. I looked at my card statement randomly while staying there and noticed a ton of unauthorized charges that maxed out my limits... I spoke to the manager after waiting around 18 hours and having to demand to see him multiple times and finally refuse to leave the front desk. My two cards that were authorized for use in Costa Rica both we flagged by the issuing company and could no longer be used after this. Which left me with only a little cash left for the remainder of the trip and unable to change hotels etc. I had to have someone send me funds via Western Union. The Manager told me not to worry because the issuing company would take of it for me when I got home!! REALLY!!! They wouldn't let me use the phone until after I demanded it from the manager. I had to use Skype to contact the person to wire me funds. The internet was sketchy and only worked on and off. DO NOT STAY AT MORGANS COVE!!!!!

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Food is below level. Could not eat the ceviche not even tilapia in it. Drinks are pricy and use a .75 of a shot pour. The beach is one of the worst. Rocky sand a dirty river empty s into it. Mind u glass plastic crap u haven't seen before washing up. The service in nice and quick and friendly. But expedia F'd me good again. Bad research and paid double on what I should have if I would have walked in. Showers flooded my wife killed a cochroach. They do not spray the grounds at all so u fight the bugs off and my wife wanting to leave. Dont eat the breakfast sausage. Has grissle over seasoned with oregano. Asked for mojito on their feature menu and had none. Asked for barcardi caperina and had none. I feel like im in guatemala not costa rica. Go to playa hermosa not jaco. Oh our shower head sprayed everywhere not on us in shower.i dont want to go on.

• Stayed July 2013
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I attended a wedding in September of 2012 ( the "off season") at a fancy resort up in the hills (over a weekend) and moved downtown to Morgan's Cove to sight see and stay over a few more days. I wanted to be on the Ocean and our room was a hundred yards from the beach; but the beaches aren't that great down there and nobody was "laying out", i.e., rocky and almost mud; Not "pearly white" by any means, but peaceful scenery and a few surfers to watch. This place was not busy at all and staff was cut back without any problems that saw. We only stayed at the motel for breakfast and had some nice dinners at night, but it would have been fine to hang by the pool and just relax. (That area can be a little pricey I think; so I am not sure if I would do back, at least that town, but the motel was good. (Note: We visited another area down to the south called "Manuel Antonio" that I liked better and the beach was somewhat nicer, but the place we saw was expense.) Morgan Cove is nothing real fancy, but they did have a small casino/bar for a place to go, cabs come quick and the food was good.) The rooms were very acceptable to me, in a sort of "tourist" court type setup, but I don't have to go first class to have a good time. It's been there awhile and we met the new owner and his family that moved from Minnesota, I believe and they were very cordial. I liked the set-up because everything is low to unload luggage etc. I was hoping we could walk to the town, but it was a little too far to do that, so we took a taxi to walk around. Really doesn't take that long to see stuff, so we checked out rates and value at a couple of other hotels right down town. After that, I felt we did just fine with our choice. I had seen some negative reviews from others before we went, so I was a bit anxious, until we saw the place. I didn't see anything gross about the it, but I am not a "fancy-pansy" guy, if I can save some money. I think it would be real good for kids to run around. Oh, another thing, the first 5 star place we stayed didn't have any English t.v. channels to speak of, so it was nice that Morgan Cove did. If you don't worry about money and are a little "snobby", you might not like it, but "regular people", no problems.

Room Tip: We faced the pool and paid a little extra, so I didn't see the rooms in the back.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Morgan's Cove Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!