“You live, You learn!!! 3 star only” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Morgan's Cove Resort & Casino

Save Saved
You added Morgan's Cove Resort & Casino to your Saves list
Morgan's Cove Resort & Casino
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150mts de la municipalidad de Jaco, Jaco 61101, Costa Rica   |
Special Rate
Best Deal on Jaco Beach
Ranked #20 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Brockville, Canada
“You live, You learn!!! 3 star only”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My fiancee and I just arrived back from Morgan's Cove Resort one week ago. Mass confusion as we were dropped off at Morgan Cove CENTRAL to check in (yikes, similar to an older hunting camp,, no oceanfront). I was in tears and my fiancee was "What did you get us into?". Our travel agent was informed through the phone travel rep for Nolitours that the two resorts were under one umbrella and connected. Totally untrue! Beware of this when booking.

We immediately took a taxi to Morgan Cove Central, The General Manager, Shannon was a lifesaver and totally rescued us! She went above and beyond to ensure we were accomodated to. She mentioned that this is a common mistake and somehow has to be eliminated. The two hotels are not connected whatsoever. However, that being said, it was the last room and sold out for the remainder of the week. Being a small resort, we gained many wonderful friendships with four other couples and were able to spend time together at the resort and offsite.

I have never written a review during my 25 years of travelling and am apprehensive doing so as I don't know great this will sound. Others we travelled with felt the same. We will not return to this hotel as it requires capital improvements.

The rooms were renovated to some extent two years ago. The showers drained very slowly and overflowed and there were very few rooms with queen beds. Most were two doubles. Breakfast was by far the best meal of the day (homemade omelets were the best). Early risers beware - no coffee prior to seven which totally made my fiancee a very grumpy bear!!! No pop prior to 11:00 am or bar, requesting cubed ice was a huge feat!! Water machine broken alot and empty which was of prime importance with the temperatures. An improvement would be a small giftshop to purchase lotions, sunhats, advil etc.

Very rocky beach and black sand (not well kept or raked). One a la carte which was only two choices (salisbury steak or seafood rice). Italian night and bbq nite were fabulous. You can order off the menu at 1/2 price and the bacon wrapped filet mignon $16 US was amazing and the soulaki type luncheon item. Quantities of all buffet items were limited and gone quickly. There was a lack of kitchen staff replenishing items and cutlery. Alot of beans, rice and fish items. Only one desert choice per meal (most often gone as tourists grabbed at the start of their meals). Did not get desert once. Pool chairs were 90% broken (ripped at the backrest area) and there were no activities poolside. For smokers, good luck finding an ashtray. A few at the bar area and otherwise none which causes litter and extra work for the staff. Dogs galore - a dog was sitting ON THE bar counter at lunch one day and I was just apalled!!! Beach chairs were lacking (30 quantity) and always taken. Hard white plastic with no umbrellas for the peak of the day (80-98 every day). Towels were very old and crappy/stained. Need to be replaced.

Overall, this resort was definitely an eye opener. My fiancee and I are 48 & 50 and are too old for this!! I have travelled extensively and never again would I recommend a 3 or 3.5 star. For the money difference we spent it on going off site for dinners in Jaco and travel excursions to get us away for the day. Very few people stayed at the resort during the day. The most memorable excursion from the hotel was "Tortuga Island". It included snorkeling, lunch and bus/speedboat to the island of white sand and fabulous swimming. We did not want to go back.... Apparently they rent hammocks on the island for $15 a nite and you can stay if you can arrange transportation back to mainland!!

Room Tip: Don't forget your drain opener!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My brother and I booked this trip last minute. We went there just looking for a break from the cold Canadian winters and for some fun. It meet our expectations and we had a blast!!! The hotel is located on a unreal beach and has easy access to everything. We did alot of day trips (fishing, Zip Lining Croc Tours ect.) If you want to surf or buggie board it's only 30 feet away with some of the best waves along the whole beach. Shannon from the Resort is very very acomidating and provides outstanding service. We got a disk with pictures of our Zip Lining trip and when we got home the disk was corrupt. I emailed her a month later and she totally went out of her way and got us a new disk from the Zip lining company. She is a great asset to the resort and just a really nice person to deal with. This is even before the disk issue. Great Value for the money for SURE!!! This is a great place to stay

Room Tip: Ask for a room closest to the beach. Bartender at the back pool is outstanding (believe his name is...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
jeffsalamone, Manager at Morgan's Cove Resort & Casino, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
We are pleased that you and your brother enjoyed our Resort! we are glad to report we are making improvements for next year so we hope to see you both again! Its a blast when people come to have a great vacation and not look to complain about everything and anything!
Escazu, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The hotel is clean but a little run down. This place would have been awesome in the 80's! But it is lacking in today's era. The rooms are average, but clean. We did not get towels in the room, we had to ask twice. The pool is nice, lots of chairs. They have a casino which was a bonus. The beach is gross, not a place to swim lots of garbage. The restaurant is ok, they had a buffet in the morning. They do need to update the door locks because they only had a door handle lock and they would be easily picked if someone tried. I would stay again, if they fixed the doors.
Not at the top of my list but I would stay again.

Room Tip: Get one away from the bar it's loud
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Do you like dirty toilet bowls? Green slime in the pool? Watching the shower fill up with water because it doesn't drain properly? Do you like to eat with your hands? Well then this is the place for you!

I've stayed in many HOSTELS that are cleaner and better maintained than Morgan's Cove!

I am well aware that this is a three star resort but there are some things that are just completely unacceptable-even for a 1 star!

Here's the disappointing things we encountered:

No forks during most meals. Imagine yourself standing with your hot plate of food and asking the cooks every day for a fork. Or how about drinking wine out of a coffee mug because they were always running out of things and no one was replacing them. The tiny buffet that is provided often runs out of things. Another patron apparently asked the owner where the toast was for breakfast and his response was get to breakfast earlier?! I only heard this secondhand but I believe it to be true. All you can eat here means first come first serve. Be first to all meals and even then the food was good to poor.

Half of the lounge chairs are broken and they aren't exactly in abundance. The ladder to get out of the main pool is broken (not completely but there is a definite accident waiting to happen). The pool had green slime around the sides-disgusting! Also don't expect the pool bar to be open 7 days a week-the only employee that runs it is off on Tuesdays so the bar is closed. Even when he is there, he is often running to get food and on the few days we were at the pool we had to wait 20-30 minutes to get a drink. Some customers started serving themselves because he was gone so long!

Rooms: I expected them to be outdated but I also expected them to be clean which they were not. The toilet bowl was stained and cracked, the shower did not drain properly and would quickly fill up and poured out onto the washroom floor. We complained about this for three straight days. Each time we returned to our room there was dirt where the repair person had walked with their shoes (over the towels that were soaking up the water) and the drain was left out. Each day we complained we had to go back and ask for a cleaner to clean up after the repair person, replace our towels that were soaked and dirty and the results were the same. DISGUSTING!!!!
The air conditioner was a window rattler! It was so loud that every night my husband would stuff a facecloth between it and the window to try and quiet the noise. The sheets were not changed the entire week.
The resort claims to be going green. This is the worst green washing I've ever seen. They claim to change the towels only every other day and not to replace your shampoo in an attempt to be greener. The bar serves drinks in disposable cups and the owner drives an Escalade! There is nothing 'green' about this resort but there is a lot 'cheap' about it.

We saw a girl crying near the beach on our second day saying she hated the place and didn't want to stay another night. We didn't see that couple the rest of the week. You know the resort is bad when....

We rented a car and toured around, staying at the resort the least amount of time possible and laughed (because what else can you do when you buy an orange and end up with a lemon).

Some folks were excited about the sandwich maker in the casino if that tells you anything about the quality of food there. I haven't been excited about a sandwich maker since my University days.

The staff were overworked and underpaid. The front desk staff complained to us that they were tired, told us about their long working hours and I saw many staff yawning throughout the week. Ethically I could never go back here and support this place. I feel so sorry for all the employees that are being taken advantage of. Expats that come to Costa Rica and set up a business have an ethical responsibility to treat the people and the land with respect not take advantage of them.

So what was good?

The restaurant overlooks the ocean so every meal you eat is oceanside. The wildlife on the resort was fantastic: crocodile, macaws galore and every species of gecko, lizard and iguana you could imagine. The location is close to the town of Jaco and it is safe to walk around at night and inexpensive to take a taxi (~$2).

Costa Rica is beautiful. There are lots of things to do and places to eat off the resort. This was our third time to Costa Rica (first time at Morgan's Cove) and I can honeslty tell you that there are a lot of beautiful, well maintained, inexpensive places to stay if you shop around. Don't stay here!

Room Tip: Ask for one that has a shower that drains properly. Nothing is more disgusting that a bubbling drain...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We are very concerned about your comments and have absolutely no records of any complaints of these kinds in our reception or in Customer relations, which is very suspicious. Our rooms are cleaned everyday, and find it hard to have any faith in your comments. If clients take all the glasses from the restaurant area back to there rooms or out to the beach or break them, its hard for the restaurant staff to maintain a stock of wine glasses. beyond our control. Staff at Morgan's Cove Resort are among the best payed in the area, and find it insulting that you make comments on something you know nothing about. Our Employees are very happy working here and there are no chains and balls keeping them here. We are sorry to report if you do not respect hours of buffets they will be gone. That is the whole reason of having certain hours. Thank you
Campbell River, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We just returned after a week in Jaco Beach, the resort was your basic 3 star but is working towards improvement which we noticed every day. One major problem is the GM Shannon, she tends to hide from the guests, tells them she will " see what she can do" when confronted with a request and then proceeds to avoid them at all costs. I recommend she be a little more upfront and say " it is what it is". Rooms varied between fairly nice to needs work but were clean, sheets should however be changed more than once during a 7 day stay, the mattresses need to be replaced but I believe they are working on this. Food was your standard all inclusive, I find the wasteful and flippant attitude of guests strange just because it is "included" doesn't mean you should overload your plate and leave half uneaten. This is rude and wasteful not only to other guests but the resort itself. Pools, ocean, beach were wonderful and the location could not have been better. We will definately be coming back and bringing guests. I would recommend making your casino a little bit smaller and putting in a convenience store with extras to purchase ranging from suntan lotion, hats, kids pool stuff, medical supplies such as tylenol, tums, to potato chips , cold beer and drinks for purchase and local gifts to buy, we wanted to buy 4 of the resort T-shirts on the last day and did not realize you could only purchase from the casino which did not open until 2 pm...also a great idea would be to have the front end staff oversee a 6 am coffee/orange juice and muffin station in the lobby for all those early risers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Recenty stayed at this resort during prime season. Beach Front property with two pools, a nice bar,and outdoor seating at the restaurant. Very much enjoyed having breakfast with an ocean view and a nice breeze. The staff is friendly and they do a great job keeping things clean.

Drinks are reasonably priced and the beer is kept cold. Bartenders and staff in the Casino are very friendly. Taxi's are plentiful and don't seem to mind the short trip to local bars and restaurants even though most things are within a 10 minute walk.

This is not a fancy place, and the price reflects that. Great location and reasonable accomodations and amenities. My only criticism is that they don't have enough beach loungers. Probably could use another 50 of them. I thought I heard a guy who may have been the owner tell a guest that they have some on order....maybe another reviewer can provide and update in a few weeks.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
jeffsalamone, Manager at Morgan's Cove Resort & Casino, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
We are Glad you enjoyed your stay with us: Your observation of the Beach Chairs was addressed we did buy more chairs that were installed around the pools and a few more beach front. Thank you and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We enjoyed our stay here. It's a budget resort. The food was good on some days and not much of it anyways. Don't expect anything fancy but its quiet and you can do the tours and also you can go to the casino for the drinks and play a few slots. The guys at the bar were so nice. Please tip them. The BBQ day needs to improve as it needs more heat to cook through. The Italian food day was the best. There is something to get by for everyone. More choices of bread at least is needed. Remember once again you get what you pay for. Very basic and towels and bed sheets were never changed but turned over. I hope it will

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Morgan's Cove Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!