“It was on the beach which was nice.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Morgan's Cove Resort & Casino

Save Saved
You added Morgan's Cove Resort & Casino to your Saves list
Morgan's Cove Resort & Casino
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150mts de la municipalidad de Jaco, Jaco 61101, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Best Deal on Jaco Beach
Ranked #21 of 42 hotels in Jaco
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
“It was on the beach which was nice.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Let's start by saying, that I have travelled a lot to mostly three star places so I can easily compare this to the others. I have to say that I loved Costa Rica! It was fabulous, and we didn't stay at the resort unless to sleep or unwind. I booked with Nolitours and explained that I would take any room besides the ones looking at a parking lot. When I got to the resort, guess what room I got? I have to say, they quickly changed our room after I complained. Rooms are not cleaned unless you ask, they don't give out the shampoo/conditioner unless you ask, you have to ask to change your sheets. Ask again if you want water, and they are small bottles, if you want a big bottle, its like asking them to remove their right hand. Doesn't make sense since larger bottles are cheaper. They say its saving on the environment, I say its being cheap. They have no problem running high powered electricity 24 hours a day. Tipping doesn't seem to matter here, we tipped, but still got sour looks. The employes except for one, don't look happy. In fact they are miserable, giving sour looks if you ask them for anything. The food is alright, but its the same exact thing every day. Rice, fried hotdogs, one choice of lettuce, two choices of fruit and fried plantains. The owner sits at the bar every evening and smokes cigars, and drinks. He does not manage but basically entertains his friends and hangs out. Like I said, I love Jaco Beach and would go back again, but if I'm writing a review, people should be aware of what to expect. This resort is in the perfect spot, and so close to Jaco city. This resort could be wonderful, if it was managed better and the food was a little better. Yes, I have stayed at three stars before, but it certainly makes a difference to get a smile, or have people who work there enjoy working.

Room Tip: I asked for no parking lot view, and thats what I got, so I'm not sure what you can do.

266 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Victoria,Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This hotel is basic with clean rooms with hair dryers and coffee makers, adequate food and great staff and great location. It is not for people who want lots of organized activities, fantastic food and all modern amenities.

It has a good (slightly short) tennis court. The beach is for surfing and the hotel has boogie boards for rent. There is a volley ball court and horse shoe pitch but these were unused during our stay. Bird watching was good right at the hotel and iguanas were everywhere.

We were there for both the Christmas dinner and the New Year's Eve dinner and celebration.
The Christmas dinner was very good and they went all out for New Year's with a good band and fireworks. It was quite amazing considering it is such a small resort (~100 rooms and suites).
Regular meals were okay with little or no dessert. You can ask for ice cream. There is only one restaurant which is the buffet and main bar as well. Drinks,including wine, were self serve.

We walked into town only once. It was very hot so even a kilometre was tiring, but there was no hustling like in similar Mexican towns.

I hated the thumping pool music which runs all day from about 11 am. What about a nice siesta time? Ear plugs helped.
The casino was very quiet and almost unused.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs.
Buffalo NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Let me start off that my wife and I have the opportunity to travel all over the word mostly in big resort properties , Morgan's Cove was a wonderful deviation from that , small , quiet and quaint..it was almost like "Cheers" where everyone knows your name. The owners Jim and Jeff and their wonderful assistant Shannon were always there and ready to lend a hand no matter what. On New Years Eve our a/c unit blew out primarily because it is running 24/7 one call to the front desk and a a/c company showed up in 1/2 hour and installed a new one. The partenders especiall Lil Jose and waiter Marco were absolutely FANTASTIC as were a majority of the other staff. The only disappointment we had was that of the food 14 days of rice and beans three times a day...but on the plus side downtown Jaco was 10 minutes walk so when they food wasn't to our liking we simply went downtown to eat.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Beach Front room more convenient to beach , pool and most importantly the bar.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

It was a last minute trip, we weren't sure what to expect but were blown away. The staff, the rooms, the beach, the entire experience was incredible!! We're already planning a return trip for next year!

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

This resort is under rated. Great value for the dollar, decent food, great staff. Owners are on site and are very concerned that the guests have a great experience. Thanks Jim, you are great!! Even the Iguanas are friendly!! Easy walk into town and great access to the beach. I'm going back as soon as I can...................................................

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We have stayed a number of times over the last few years and have always found the staff friendly and helpfull. The rooms were clean and well maintained. The food was great. People have to understand that running a hotel can be difficult, expecially when it is going through a transition, so there can sometimes be some problems. We have found that if we had a problem it was always addressed. As far as certain smells, first of all you have to understand that most people on the river upstream dump their grey water( sewer) into it, so sometimes you get a bit of a smell from it. This is common all over Costa Rica, so sometimes people have to realize it is not all like home. The walk to downtown is only 10 minutes, I guess for some people thats long. A cab is only a couple of bucks if you cannot walk.

Room Tip: room #6 seemed good, by the pool and facing the ocean
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I went their this past March St. Patty's Day and I had a good time. It was not like some of the places I have been in but the atmosphere was nice, clean and good food. We had a room on ground floor in front of the pool with pool bar it was great! Hardly any body on grounds during the day (out on tours) so we had the pool to a few of us that just wanted to take in the sun and relax. We met some of the other guests and went to town a couple times. Friendly in town, short walk or $2 cab ride. They have a cassino on site and a great bar their with some great people very friendly and the owner gave a few tips and what to check out. It could have used some dance or entertainment on grounds. We took the side trip to Tortuga Island (owner's recommation) and OMG! it was beautifull there and the boat over was great we seen a sea turtle, dolphins and a whale! We were very lucky that day great weather! We went zip lining too and that was a blast. I would go again.

Room Tip: Ground floor pool view
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Morgan's Cove Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!