“Pleasent and Friendly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tropical Garden Hotel

You added Tropical Garden Hotel to your Saves list
Tropical Garden Hotel
Center of Jaco, Pastor Diaz St | Front of Comercial Center " Il Galeone", Jaco, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #32 of 54 Specialty Lodging in Jaco
Toronto, Canada
“Pleasent and Friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Stayed here for a few weeks this winter. A simple hotel set in a tropical garden in the center of town. Great beach and bar access. The owner was really friendly and helpful with recommending car rental, restaurants, tours, sites, etc. The pool is clean and not too busy. Ask the gardener nicely and he will climb a palm and bring you a fresh coconut! I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I came here to my first time and Costa Rica and have zero complaints. It was close to everything I needed being a first time tourist in Costa Rica, as well as a beautiful beach. The many variations of plants made me truly feel like I was at a Tropical Garden. Sitting by the poolside is also very relaxing. I would definitely come back here when I return to Costa Rica.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I was on a trip with my staff in Playa Jaco, we were recommended this place from a friend in Toronto. A great stay, friendly staff and a nice little hotel to pass a relaxing week. The rooms all have your own kitchen and fridge. The hotel is built in a tropical garden, yet the place is in the center, center of town. Walking out of this little paradise and you are right in the middle of town, restaurants, bars, stores, and the beach all walking distance.

I definitely recommend this place to fellow travelers and vacationers.

Room Tip: If you are travelling on the weekends, make sure to reserve! They were full on the weekend.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I travel to Costa Rica often, years ago this hotel was mentioned to me as a place to stay on my travels. What a hidden paradise. Located in the center of town, steps from restaurants,stores, bars, and the beach. You could not have a more central location.

But I what is the best part of this hotel is that is in built a tropical garden. Full of flowers and trees, so quiet you can not believe it is in the downtown of a beach city.

Looking forward to my next stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed here for a few nights during my last visit to Jaco. The name of the hotel is very fitting; there is a beautiful array of plants on the property. The pool was also enjoyable, especially because the water isn't freezing cold as it is in other hotel pools. The close proximity to the beach was also great. The staff was really friendly. I don't speak any Spanish so they were able to arrange a cab for me to get to the airport. The owner was really friendly and had recommended a few good places around the area to grab a bite. I had a tv in my room and I really enjoyed hanging out in my personal porch. I would definitely return next time I'm in Jaco.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Monteverde, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

Stayed at this place during the rainy season. The place was completely flooded. Toilets would not flush. The septic system was backed up for days. There was standing water ankle deep throughout the property which more than likely was contaminated by the sewage from the backed up septic system. Absolutely disgusting. The lady who name was Veres would not do a thing about it and did not seem to care.

The owners of this place do not care about the workers nor the hotel. They surely do not care about the people staying there.

Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Pacific City, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

Things have gotten worse since the last review in 2008. We stayed on a Monday night so it was quiet and few people were present.

We're Oregonians living in Costa Rica and went to Jaco for the day as it's the nearest beach to us. This place was cheap but it's best to pay more and enjoy your time at the beach.

The foreign owner was rude to his workers and very scolding of a young man who was getting water from a sink on the side of the building.

I was shocked to hear that they would not provide any towels unless I gave a $10 deposit per towel! When I told him about my amazement his answer was "Well, you know this is Costa Rica." I saw this as a most demeaning ethnic slur. We've traveled all over Costa Rica and have never heard such nonsense. He reduced it to $6 per towel!

I had reserved the two-bedroom "suite." It was dingy with a sloppy kitchenette. The old refrigerator door did not close properly. I asked for another room and we settled for two rooms to accommodate five people. We wanted AC but he could only get us one with AC and the other had a ceiling fan. The kitchenette in one had small ants all over the sink and the refrigerator did not work though I plugged it in.

They advertise wi-fi in every room but there was none. I had to go to the small office to plug in our computer. It was uncomfortable and of course had no privacy. I was unable to recharge our computer as all outlets in our rooms were 2-pronged and I needed 3-prongs. This leads me to the electricity question.

The shower heads in both rooms had exposed electrical wires taped together with black tape. A sure electrocution danger that should not pass code anyplace. I advised my family not to use the shower as we would be home in a day.

It was curious to see the owner yelling to my wife and daughter not to stand under a palm tree because a coconut might fall on their head while he left electrical wires exposed in the shower.

The workers were all very nice.

Best to pay a little more and avoid this place.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Been to Tropical Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!