“A good Condo option in Jaco traveling with family” 4 of 5 stars

Jaco Bay Condo Hotel by Ramada
Pastor Diaz Avenue, Jaco, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #33 of 51 Specialty Lodging in Jaco
Alajuela
“A good Condo option in Jaco traveling with family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I stayed in Jaco Bay some days ago and the place was ok according to my need´s family.
The Condos are fully equipment for 5-6 people, beautiful views to the mountains or beach it depends of the condo position.

The one thing that I really like it in my visit was that not many people stay at the same time in Jaco Bay so you feel quiet and relaxing.

I recommend this place for families because Jaco Bay has a big the swimming pool, play ground and volley ball area.

Room Tip: Try to stay between monday - friday the ocupation is low than weekend, ask for a condo with ocean vi...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!
DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL!!!!!!
$250 a day for two days total rate for us was $503.
At check in, they refused to accept my VISA MARRIOTT REWARDS black card with a five figure limit for ïncidentals. It is a Brand new metallic card with Smart chip technology.
They refused it because they have a credit card imprint machine... like at a gas station in 1975!
Apparently the numbers on the surface of the card werent raised so they could take an impression. Had to use my MasterCard debit card attached to my Checking account because they wouldnt take a cash deposit.
THEN:::::: we get upstairs around 315 PM on Thursday 22 May 2014.
They room was a 3 bedroom 2 bath 1400 square foot condo on the 9th floor overlooking the pool to the west, Pacific Ocean to the south. Pretty view.

HOWEVER::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: they room was around 100 degrees F or around 35 degrees Celsius, all doors to patio, all Windows, open. all airconditioners were off. The room looked like a hurricane had struck it. It took at least 12 hours or until 0315 AM Friday 23 May 2014 for the place to cool off. It was so terrible I purchased 3 fans at the market just so we could survive that night and breathe... fans were 13,000 colones or around $26.50 each.

The beds and other furniture of condo unit number building 4, 904 are cheap nad very outdated. we had a televisión that was at least 20 years old. The beds were like sleeping on a basketball court made of concrete. I had to take 3 Aleve when I awoke just to function with my bad back.

To top it all off.......................... Friday afternoon we went for lunch and golf at Los Suenos Residence Inn Marriott resort. Category 6 resort. Marina, Paradise, Garden of Eden... etc.
2 nights there 22May2014 check out 24May2014 would have been around 400, but they had no rooms available.

At noon on 24 May 2014 it was time for checkout. There was no manager there, and when I demanded a manager no less than ten times they finally got the person on the phone, The staff said it will be ten minutes for the manager to arrive, trying to get us to leave. WE were loaded into the van to return to San Jose, Escazu for the next leg of our vacation. I told them I aM NOT moving until the manager arrives and WE (there were 2 other friends travelling with me) did not have to fly back to USA until Tuesday.

I stepped out for a smoke and my two friends defused a very volitile momento. The staff was ready to call the pólice and have me thrown off the property.
In the interim, I phoned my bank in the USA, and they said there posible fraudulent activity on my checking account in Costa Rica....... occuring on the afternoon of Friday 23 May 2014.
As the security raised his voice, I put Maricela on speaker phone. She is my banker in USA.
We were speaking fluent SPANISH rapidly back and forth to each other in front of the staff.
I told Maricela, my banker to explain to security guard the fraud situation.....

The color drained from his face and looked at his shoes. the other two staff said in English to me.... whats the problema now? I had Maricela tell them in English. After 15 minutes of waiting for the manager the person never arrived. A quickly written phone number on a business was shoved toward me. I refused it and demanded photocopies of my complete dossier regarding this stay in case I need to file a fraud report with the Pólice in Costa Rica.
They said in Pigeon English to me: Why you need dose papers?
My answer as I opened my wallet slowly, in perfect Español: Yo soy el officer de POLICIA in Estados Unidos. They looked down upon my badge and department credentials.
The silence was deafening as we left the hotel.
There ended up being no fraud by the Grace of God

YOU would be better suited staying in a tent on the beach than JACO BAY CONDOMINIUMS!!!!
Thanks for letting me write this review.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We are back for a second week, having spent the weekend in the rainforest. Our unit needs some work and a few amenities but the staff has been pleasant and responsive. Our unit is clean and has daily housekeeping although the housekeeping staff is not all that friendly. The pool is magnificent and ver. y "kid friendly". Wifi offered only at the pool and reception is a great inconvenience for a travel writer. The elevators are swift and we actually do have a partial view of the ocean, albeit distant. The Hotel seems to cater to weekend traffic and seems well used by beach visitors. Construction has resumed at buildings 1 and 2 so there does not seem to be an indication of bankruptcy as stated below.

As always, realize that you are in tourist country and exercise precaution with possessions. There is a safe in the room.

Room Tip: If you tend to be bothered by happy noise, chose a lower floor because the higher you go the louder...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Troy, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed her 09/08/2013 for 5 nights as an exchange from our timeshare. Check-in was fine. However, once we got to our room we noticed the window in the master has a large crack in it. When I questioned the staff about it, they acknowledged that they knew about the crack and were not concerned. Shards of glass fell onto the floor during a storm and the floor became very wet. Very dangerous in a dark room.
I had requested two extra bath towels, which we never received. The towels and wash cloths we did have were very threadbare, torn and ratty. The room itself was not well maintained, as in tiles cracked, the dishwasher was not bolted in and was dangerous to load. The rooms are very stark and unwelcoming. The TV is very old and does not work well.
The office staff was courteous when asked a direct question, but did not initiate any conversation and not inclined to offer solutions to issues. Property was virtually empty and I find it hard to believe that the only two bedroom condo available had a large crack in the window and is so poorly maintained.
The only bright spot is the pool.
I had read the reviews before choosing these accommodations, so I did not have high expectation. However, I was very disappointed in the accommodations. I would never stay here again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

The condos are large and clean and well maintained, and the pool area is nice. Some of the lounge chairs are broken and need to be replaced. There were very few people in residence at the time, which is nice, but also a little creepy. Where is everyone? The property is a long walk from the beach, driving is recommended. The kitchens have the bare minimum for functionality (cake pans, but no mixing bowls?). A/C in all rooms worked great. The maids wash the towels in the unit washer and dryer, but they leave them in the dryer, so if you don't check, you don't know they are there! We used timeshare RCI points to stay, but it wasn't worth the points that we were charged.

Room Tip: Request a pool view condo.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Salinas, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I've read the widely -and wildly- different reviews and must say that I had no serious complaints. Four of the six buildings are complete, but of the 160 completed units, only 15 or so were occupied, some presumably by owners. The AC worked, the daily maid service was satisfactory, there were no cockroaches or mosquitos, and we never felt ill at ease. Service from the reception desk was spotty when we called for assistance.
Work on the complex was clearly ceased some years ago with the economic crisis, but the building we were in was adequately maintained. The grounds are immaculate and the large pool area beautifully maintained every morning. It's a 4-block walk into town or to the beach.
If we were to return to Jaco, I'd have no reason not to stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the buildings, facing the pool area provide a lovely view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
La Marque, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

This place is at best a dump!!!! We had to have the AC in the master bedroom fixed 3 times. The bed is a 4" matress on wooden slats. The maid service wouldn't leave clean towels even though we asked for more towels 4 time in 5 days. There is only one tv per condo. the wi-fi that's advertised only works in the office and a little by the pool. The office is open 8-5 and if you need anything after 5 you out of luck til 8 the next morning. If you want to make a call out you can only do it with the office phone, you can't make local calls from your room. And finally, the so called spa is one person in an empty first floor condo with a massage table! Other than that the country is great.

Room Tip: there aren't any good rooms
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Jaco Bay Condo Hotel by Ramada? Share your experiences!