“My stays in privately owned condo units with off site managment have been VERY GOOD” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jaco Bay Condo Hotel by Ramada

Save Saved
You added Jaco Bay Condo Hotel by Ramada to your Saves list
Jaco Bay Condo Hotel by Ramada
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   Pastor Diaz Avenue, Jaco, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #32 of 49 Specialty lodging in Jaco
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

I have stayed at this complex four times and will be returning spring 2012. The complex has gone thru some growing pains and I will be the first to admit the 2009 visits were less than satisfactory while under the management of Ramada, who no longer manage the place. The complex has retained the name of Ramada only. I met several long term renters entering their second year of residence in the complex and they commented things greatly improved when RCI took over. Not all units are owned/operated by the on site management company referred to in many of the reviews. I found privately owned units (not the Phoenix owner) independently managed by BeachhomeCostaRica.com and they were Very Good. It is a SELF CATERING unit, not a hotel. Especially good for families or groups of 2-6 people.The units have been stocked and outfitted beyond basics by the owners. They were well maintained, very clean and exceptionally large. House keeping was provided at the end of every week. Daily maid service was available for an additional fee, however with a washer & dryer and all cleaning supplies included, we did not utilize.The complex is located in the north end of town which is quiet, and within easy walking distance of shops, restaurants and nightlife, and 2 blocks from beach.
THE GOOD:
Additional manual locks were added to the condo unit door, a metal key is provided to renters and controlled by the private management company. On site company does not have access to the units.
There is a safe in the master bedroom which you can program your own combination - USE IT !
Great large pool surrounded by oasis garden with shallow end for children. Also a playground for children. Patio chairs, lounge chairs, patio sun umbrellas and 3 seater patio swings with canopies available for your use.
Condo units have large balconies with this unit containing a large patio table, comfortable patio chairs, fold down table attached to railing, in addition to the bistro table & chairs.
Unit has a panoramic view of the mountains, town and ocean.
Other items in unit that are beyond the basic - Coleman cooler on wheels, beach sun umbrella, rain umbrellas, nightlight in kitchen that automatically turns on in the event of power failure and converts into a flashlight, battery backup to support computer equipment for WIFI, small DVD and book selection for you to enjoy, neoprene drink holders to keep your beverage cool.
Private management company is located off site, but still in Jaco and offers great support if you need it and contact them with your concerns. They also were able to arrange transportation to/from airport for a fee, and recommend/arrange tours.
NOT SO GOOD, BUT NOT SO BAD:
TV is not a flatscreen, but who goes to Costa Rica to watch TV ?
Despite posting instructions how to operate AC, still hard to figure out, ASK for assistance on how to. The country is hot and humid !
Pool area could use BBQ's for renters to use
Pantry kitchen doors continually jumped out of track.
Power Outages - EXPECT THEM. The outages are not caused by the condo complex as suggested by previous reviews, but happen locally. I have sat on the balcony and the portion of the grid for the town where the complex is located is dark, but other portion grids are lit up.
Yes, there are two building towers that are empty shells of buildings which are an eyesore, however they are not visible from the units I stayed in, only if you have a pool view unit or are sitting at the pool. The areas have been sectioned off by a high fence and shrubbery. Do not think these empty buildings are only happening at this complex. The country has many such buildings dotting the landscape, as the construction industry and property sales were hit extremely hard in these economic times.
Lastly:
Jaco has changed dramatically in the past years, from a sleepy fishing town to a popular tourist location. Drugs and "ladies of the evening" have been cleaned up, but not eliminated. Be smart, be aware,do not treat your safety and possessions any differently because you are on vacation. I personally have not had any issues with my safety, parking my rental car and I walk the streets in the evenings without any concern. The police have a strong presence in Jaco, and in fact, while driving in the town and surrounding area, have been stopped at roadchecks up to four times in one day/evening. Always carry your passport or a photocopy for ID.
I would not let any of the negative issues affect your decision to visit this beautiful country and a chance to interact with the wonderful locals, the Tico's.

Room Tip: Choose rooms with a mountain, town & ocean view and book through a private management company
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

30 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Jaco, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

I'm just wrapping up a 6 week stay at this location from October 28th until Dec 12th. I read some of the previous reviews and see that two of the "bad" reviews occurred at the same time, during a power outage. In the 6 weeks here the power did go out twice. Both times it came back on within an hour. This hotel/condo, like almost all the others, has a generator but it only comes on to power the elevator. I would understand how uncomfortable it would be if the power stayed out for several hours because it is very hot and humid here all the time.

As for the theft I read about in another review.....well how dumb were they. Apparently some jewelry was stolen by some employee that obtained a master key. Well crap happens...no matter where you go and this place is no different than any other. There is gated security that checks everyone entering the property. There's this little thing in the master bedroom called a SAFE...I tend to keep my valuables in there (passport etc) while I'm gone although I have the upmost respect and trust for the two young ladies that work for Mgr and clean the rooms.

Speaking of cleaning. You get daily maid service here. That includes everything from cleaning the floors to washing the sheets and towels. They will even wash and fold your laundry if you leave it out.

During the 6 weeks I've been here I had three maintenance issues with the A/C unit in one of the rooms. Each issue was addressed promptly and fixed to my satisfaction. I was impressed with the service.

Bring the kids....this is a family friendly location. The pool is excellent and very large and there is a play area for children. The only downfall is there is no BBQ grill for use on the property and a disposable one you can pick up at any store in the states is non existent here.

Ramada sits on the Northern end of Jaco which I enjoy because it is quiet but still just a stones throw (or a $2 cab ride) from the action.

Remember one thing....this is a different country and your a visitor. It is not at all dangerous unless you put yourself in a dangerous situation. Jaco by day is a very family friendly location with numerous things to do and see. At night it is an adult playground with numerous things to do and see....at night it is very possible to be approached and asked if "They can get you anything". There are street hustlers everywhere. Guys that try and assist you parking your car and then say they will watch it for you....hey, it's more than the transients back home do, at least these folks are trying to make a dime. Bottom line is that I have not had any issues with safety. The police are out in full force walking the streets and I avoid walking down dark streets at night (something I think we all do everywhere we go).

So...Ramada Jaco Bay in my opinion, is a great choice for anyone wanting to see Jaco and stay in a condo with all the comforts of home (and maid service).

Room Tip: No restaurant or fitness center.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Berryville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

First of all, Jaco is not the best place in Costa Rica. It is a tourist trap, the beach is lousy, and it's dangerous -- more dangerous than other towns of its size. That being said, if you stay in the Jaco Bay Condo, it is not a terrible place to stay assuming that the price is right for you. We went as guests of an RCI member, so I don't know if we got better treatment than an average visitor. Here are the good things: a great pool! (see photos), very, very nice people who run the place and clean, security ( a guard is always on duty), close to the center of Jaco, washer and dryer, nice kitchen accessories. If you come here (or any place in Costa Rica, I imagine), bring dryer sheets, hand sanitizer, or antiseptic towelettes, dish washer soap, anything you MUST have that will probably be expensive in Costa Rica. The bottom line is that you are not going on vacation in the United States, so don't expect everything to be like it is "back home". Save yourself some money and go to a more predictable place if you don't like surprises like power outages (didn't have one!), bugs, things that don't work "exactly right". If you like to travel, see new sights and try to understand another culture a little, then I recommend Costa Rica.

Room Tip: Yes, there are a couple of buildings that look like they were bombed in the war. See photos. So if...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Fairview, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

This was supposed be the best family vacation ever. Ended up being the worst vacation ever! Where to start?When we arrived, there was no power in our condo. We rented from a private tenant and he failed to pay the electric bill on time. We had to pay out of pocket to rent another room. Power wasn't turned on until a day later. Two days after that, the power goes out at the entire complex. We then had to rent a room at the Best Western across the street. While the power was out, our room was broken into by a staff member. They stole two diamond necklaces of ours. The marketing director made a master key that she didn't dispose correctly, threw it in the trash, and one of her staff members took it out of the trash. So this person had free reign to the entire complex. Scary!!! She took full responsibility of the theft and promised to reimburse us for our loss. Of course that didn't happen! Not much else I can say, but BEWARE!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

We were robbed (burglarized) at this condo resort and we believe that the management of the resort may be involved. The burglary was clearly a planned heist. No less than 10 minutes of our departure from the condo on our first day of a one-week rental stay, a burglar entered our room using a card key and stole two diamond necklaces valued at $3,000. The subsequent investigation by local police determined that the Director of Marketing and Sales, Catalina Jimenez, one of only three persons authorized to create universal key cards, had made the card that was used in the burglary. She subsequently admitted her mistake (she said she threw the card away in a trash can because it had a defect) and her liability for the loss of our possessions. At the urging of the general manager she promised to reimburse us for the amount of our loss, but asked for 30 days to come up with the large monetary sum. Needless to say after 30 days we were back in the U.S. and our phone calls to the general manager and the Marketing Director have gone to no avail. The general manager had literally sworn an oath of blood the day we departed for our return to the U.S. that he would make sure we were reimbursed for our losses, now I can't get him to take my calls.The "police department"? Their ineptness was evident when it took them three days before showing up at the "crime scene" to dust for fingerprints. By the time they showed up (my family had stayed there the remainder of the week, but this is another story) the crime scene had been compromised by our fingerprints. Now, all they will tell us is that their "investigation" is in progress and we must contact the condo management to seek reimbursement.

Oh, and of the six nights we had contracted to stay at the resort (this condo is owned by Michael Cantor of Phoenix, AZ, PLEASE don't believe everything he says about his beautiful rental condo!), two of them we had to rent hotel rooms in another part of town (at our expense) to spend the night due to long power failures at the resort - - - longer than 24 hours each time, no elevators, air conditioning, lights, nothing! In fact, we believe the robbery was staged by the first power outage. No less than 10 minutes of our vacating the condo due to the first power outage (five family members and a two-year old) our condo was broken into and burglarized.

In short, our dream family vacation turned out to be a ROYAL NIGHTMARE thanks, in part, to the management of the Jaco Bay Condo Hotel Resort.

Room Tip: Please seek other accommodations!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

My husband and I are in our late 30s with no children. We went to this resort for a week through an RCI Exchange and only had to pay a $258 exchange feeto stay the entire week. Because of this, and my strong desire to see Costa Rica, this place worked fine for us. I came up with this list while at the resort and I hope it helps others to make an easier decision on whether or not to stay here than I had.

Top 10 Things this Resort Does Well-

1. The pool. It's well taken care of and I love the pool water temp whirlpools at the end.
2. They leave you alone, nobody nagging you about tours. In fact, nobody even here.
3. Huge balconies
4. TV-It gets CNN and the local major US television network stations
5. Wi-fi. Only had an issue connecting one time, otherwise it's very reliable.
6. A washing machine and dryer in the unit.
7. Wildlife right in the trees that you can spot when your lounging at the pool. Who knew we needed binoculars at the pool right? Yesterday, we saw 2 Scarlet Macaws (parrots) just from our lounge chairs.
8. Coffee maker in room
9. The air conditioning gets COLD. And, that's really important here
10. Shower is decent

Top Things this Resort Needs Improvement on:

1. No amentities. No soap, no dishsoap, no laundry soap, no coffee, no welcome treats or cream and sugar, no dishtowel, no paper towels. Nothing extra except for small bottles of shampoo and conditioner.
2. They didn't inform us how to work the air when we first go here & it was miserably hot in our room. That led to a really bad first impression.
3. Ants in the kitchen and living room area
4. Not the best maintained. Toilet paper just sitting on the back of the toilets when only half of the toilet paper holder fixtures are mounted. Blood spotted on a rug and the secondary bedroom comforters. Floors are dirty, dishes chipped in the cabinets. Lampshades crooked. Laundry door missing from it's track.
5. The 2 unfinished buildings are a huge eyesore outside. They claim from a previous review they aren't theirs--but they look exactly like the buildings around us & the one we are staying in. It's like they just went bankrupt & didn't have enough money to finish what could've been a truly outstanding resort.
6. The misrepresentation of the rooms on the internet vs reality. The pictures of this place show only the walls that have been painted vibrant colors with the beautiful large pictures on them. The reality is, right across from that wall, none of the other walls are painted--everything is white, no pictures on the wall. It's very odd. It was obviously staged just for pictures. The "flat screen" tv might be a flat screen, but in reality it's not. It's not the current kind that can hang on walls.
7. No clock anywhere
8. No radio anywhere
9. Furniture--all of it. is. uncomfortable. Deck chairs on balcony are cheap. Pool chairs are white plastic and cheap. Bed is low to the ground and only on thin slats of wood. It fell apart while we were here and we had to fix it. Couches and chairs are weird and not comfortable. Living room table is cheap. You get the idea.
10. Reception area was unprofessional. When we first got there, a bike was blocking the steps to the door, and a friend was in there with their child just hanging out with the receptionsist. When our keys were deactivated because they didn't realize we were staying the week & not just the weekend, another friend was in there and it appeared that they were watching a youtube video and laughing at it. They seem interrupted when they actually have to work to help someone.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

After reading some of the reviews its obvious the hotel manager is writing reviews that are FALSE - STAY AWAY!

We stayed at the Ramada Jaco Bay resort for 2 weeks in January 2011 - WHAT AN ABSOLUTE DISASTER!!! We strongly recommend cleaning every piece of your luggage and clothing when you leave - the infestation of bed bugs was horrible. They rent nightly party suits to locals who play loud music until 3-4am and security does nothing about it. Our rental car was damaged 2 times in the guarded parking lot. Our room was disgusting when we checked in and they said sorry we didn't have time to clean it? Who gives a guest a room that hasn't been cleaned? The furniture was stained and smelt bad, the beds were broken, the walls in the washroom were molded and bathroom doors could not close due to water damage. We had a blood stained mattress and the staff claimed it was hair dye? We read the negative reviews before booking out trip, but we still went because a friend of ours had been a few years back and enjoyed it - well they changed owners since his trip and its evident. The place is a complete disaster and the hotel is apparently on the brink of bankruptcy according to locals, you'll notice construction has stopped on the building they dont show you in the lovely photographs, and by the way that will be your view!!! You will find better, cheaper and cleaner accommodations in the area, we stayed at other properties even though we payed for 2 weeks at the ramada. We booked with Nolitours (transat) who lied to us about the room - NO OCEAN VIEW SUITES ARE AVAILABLE FOR RENT!! AND Nolitours offered NO SUPPORT ON SITE, NO CUSTOMER SERVICE, NO COMPENSATION for anything - stay away from both Nolitours/Transat and Ramada Jaco Bay its not worth the aggravation. I have been traveling for years and I have never written a negative review EVER but this time the world must know about this and hopefully save people from experiencing what happened to us. STAY AWAY.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
MgrRamadaJacoBay, Director of Sales at Jaco Bay Condo Hotel by Ramada, responded to this review, March 24, 2011
We would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectation as well as for the inconvenience experienced during your stay at our property.

Since your stay back in January 2011, the property operations, maintenance and customer service has gone through a series of improvements to provide our guests with a more joyful and pleasant stay with us.

After reviewing our guest service report as well as your comments, we feel it is appropriate to provide an answer to your review.

Although we try our best to normally accommodate all guests immediately upon arrival, in your case we experienced a delay on providing you with your originally assigned room. Even though, we were able to present to you another room option at the moment, you decided to wait for the original room assigned to be cleaned by our maid service.

It was never our intention to present to you a room that hasn´t been cleaned, although according to your insistence to have access to the room immediately in order to leave your luggage, we took you to the room which was at that moment been cleaned by our maid service; and from which you took pictures during the cleaning process and posted them in your comment.

Regarding the room views and location please note that our property offers Pool & Partial Ocean View condos according to floor level as well as Standard Condos with no view.

Your reservation was placed with us based on a “flat rate” condo in which view and location of room is based on current availability at check-in time.

Also, our records indicate that you stayed with us during the entire time according to your original reservation placed with us.

As for the noise problems within the property, please note that based on your report and other complaints back in January 2011, we have already taken applicable measures and guidelines for our management and security staff to be pro-active solving this type of situations which may disrupt guest’s enjoyment at the property.

Regarding the empty construction you mention, please note that even though it belongs to the same corporation, it is not related to our operation and it is located into a separate property and not blocking any of our unit views.

As for the situations you mention related to your rental car damage, bed bugs and overall furniture conditions in the room, our reception and guest service department is always present to help with any complaint and solve the problems as soon as possible to provide a trouble-free stay. Over these specific issues we did not have a report from your part during your stay which would have helped to correct the situation immediately.

We really appreciate your comments & feedback, and we will strive to improve every day.

Been to Jaco Bay Condo Hotel by Ramada? Share your experiences!