“Fun and relaxing kayaking north of Jaco” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 71 Activities in Jaco
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: For 17 years Kayak Jaco has been introducing travelers to the joy of getting out on the water of the Central Pacific coast of Costa Rica. The coastline is spectacular and the beaches are pristine. Our sea kayaks, outrigger canoes, stand up paddle boards and sailboat are the best way to enjoy these coastal waters. We don't pollute or disrupt the balance of nature; we just paddle through our small slice of it, not leaving a trace. If you seek "Fun on the Water" Kayak Jaco has the tour for you:• Independent folks love our kayaks• Groups and clubs are fascinated by our unique outrigger canoes• Those who are serious about kicking back adore our sailboat• People looking for exercise can try SUP. Snorkeling is included on these tours (when conditions permit) and it enables you to get even closer to the best that Costa Rica has to offer - it's nature. For 17 years, Kayak Jaco has been running safe, sustainable, enjoyable tour sand we strive everyday to ensure that your trip will be a wonderful Costa Rica memory to have for years to come.
dc
12 attraction reviews
“Fun and relaxing kayaking north of Jaco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Directions and clear signage made it easy to find them just off the main road #34. Jacob and his partner were friendly and knowledgable and taught us the meaning of Pura Vida. Jacob was our guide for the day. We have some experience kayaking but only get to do it once or twice a year. Jacob was patient and understood we knew our way around a kayak but maybe weren't the strongest paddlers he's ever seen. We paddled to a secluded beach where our guide pointed out a sleeping sloth, a visiting capuchin monkey, frigate birds, osprey, black hawks and then took us for a hike across the rocks were we dove into the surf for some fun snorkeling. No, this isn't the best snorkeling spot I've ever been to, but it was fun and I appreciated how Jacob took the time to point out what was interesting. Fresh fruit and plenty of bottled water was provided as was the snorkel gear. Showers, bathrooms and changing rooms are available at their facility...a short walk from teh beach. These folks seem to know to work with people at their different levels both skill and physical. I even got to practice my horrid Spanish and was encouraged with kindness. Thanks and Pura Vida, Guys! We enjoyed it.

Visited January 2013

Conn, USA
“Average Kayaking trip, OK snorkeling”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We scheduled this on our last day in Jaco, thinking it would be really special. I tend to agree with the other poster that it was pretty MEH, however. There was about a 45 min kayak out to a private beach. The guides gave few tips on how to manipulate the paddles--or maybe mine were too long for me, as I kept banginging them into the sides of the boat (I'm a petite women--about five feet tall--so I usually get a slightly smaller set of paddles). The kayaks themselves were not the best--a bit heavy to turn in the water, but OK. Once we got to the private beach, we were given snorkels and masks but no fins. The fish were really pretty and very colorful--and we did see a lot of them pretty close to the beach (that was the best part of the trip!). But I felt we were hustled out of the water after about 30 mins or so--I would have liked to spend about 15 mins more there. Then fruit on the beach and a pretty long and dull kayak back to the origin point. I'm in good shape but for a small woman such as myself who isn't used to kayaking it was a lot maneuvering such a bulky kayak through the water. The guides did paddle back and wait with me and were very nice. Wilbur in particular seems like a nice guy and was helpul. But I wouldn't do this unless you are absoltutely desperate to see a few colorful fish!

Visited January 2013
Kayakjaco, Owner at Kayak Jaco, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Sorry to hear that this woman did not enjoy the paddling portion of the trip. Our guides recognized a potential problem and offered her the option of joining one of them in a tandem kayak, which would have enabled her to truly enjoy the beautiful scenery. She declined. Our single kayaks are 14 feet long. Length is speed and ease of covering distance in a kayak and ours are longer than most for tours of this type. Maneuverability is contrary to getting where you want to go on open water. Kayaking is a sport and not an activity like a canopy tours or a boat ride. Our tour is designed as a "no experience necessary" activity and some days are physically harder than others due to weather conditions. Our outrigger canoes are a great option, they require one to propel the craft but the guide takes care of the steering and since there are others in the canoe it tends to keep moving even if one were to take a break from paddling. As an owner I am pleased to hear her comments about our guide Wilburth who has been with us for many years and will continue do what he can make the trip special.
Medford, OR
3 attraction reviews
“Best Experience of our trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We met up with Neil and his crew one warm morning. They were fully prepared to take us out for a fun ride. They were knowledgable and friendly. I am an experience kayaker and my friend was a novice. They met both of our expectations, had life jackets ready for us and these amazing paddles made from bamboo which were created and made by Kayak Jaco (I want to buy one). We set out with our guides from Playa Agujas and made our way to a little cove where we walked over to another beach to prep for snorkeling. Our guides pointed out birds along the way and I saw jelly fish floating in the ocean. Once we started snorkeling they pointed out fish and the guides would disappear and come up with puffer fish and sea stars for us to hold and and touch. After our snorkeling adventure we got to eat fresh fruit and try to keep it away from the area coatimundi. On the way back we stopped by another beach and a waterfall to get wet in. Neil was friendly and put up with my very finnicky and ever-changing group. I couldn't have asked for more.

Visited November 2012
San Diego
“A good workout in the sun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Neil picked my fiance and I up bright and early for our kayaking adventure. Being a long time lover of the sea he has been in CR for several years. He knows everything about Jaco and the surrounding area. We asked him about other events, tours, places to eat etc. on our 10 minute car ride north of Jaco to the beach.

Once at the Kayak Jaco location we met our guide Jacob. His English was surpassed by his enthusiasm and desire to ensure we were having a good time. After a brief instruction we boarded our double kayak and off we went. I want to note that we were looking for a workout on the ocean, not a snorkeling trip. The snorkeling was a bonus. We paddled across the small bay to punta leona where we dropped off the kayaks and walked over to the beautiful white sand beach.

When we arrived Jacob set up the snorkel gear while we explored the water and the beach. The wildlife was out and we saw three macaws eating berries in the trees. Once ready we jumped into the water and allowed Jacob to lead us out to the spots best for snorkeling. We saw a variety of fish, Jacob even brought out a puffer fish up close so we could watch it puff up and then swim away. There were so many types of fish out, we even saw an eel.

After snorkeling we had some fruit as other have mentioned then took some pictures and began our trek back to the beach. Once back in the kayak Jacob took more pictures with our waterproof camera of us in action. At the beach we showered off, had some mango juice and then jumped back into Neil's car and headed back to the hotel. On the way back we mentioned that we would like to go back to the beach so Neil gave us directions tot he public access route. He then suggested a number of different restaurants that we should have lunch at. We took him up on the suggestion and had a great Costa Rican lunch right outside of our hotel. Thanks Neil.

Visited June 2012
“Meh”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012 via mobile

I wouldn't go again. It is not located in or near Jaco - it's about 15 km north of Jaco. We were picked up in a very battered van, which was our first impression.

The kayaks were OK. We paddled about an hour, with two rest periods due to some inexperienced kayakers who struggled a little. We stopped at Playa Blanca, a beach below a hotel. Despite the guide's explanation that all beaches in CR are public, it still felt like we were trespassing and we had some obvious displeased stares from hotel guests. We were not permitted to use the hotel's restrooms, so the only option was the ocean. We ate pineapple and watermelon off the hotel's concrete bench/seawall.

The snorkeling was not good - swells were large, waves breaking on rocks, poor visibilty, lack of interesting marine life or underwater features, etc.

The guides were nice and friendly, and I felt they did their best with what they had.

Bottom line, I'll pass on Kayak Jaco the next time I visit CR.