“Not for me” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 48 Specialty lodging in Jaco
Dublin, Ireland
“Not for me”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I can see why people would like this hostel for fun, partying and hanging out.
I like all those things too but also like privacy and cleanliness of which there is neither!
The outdoor shower, toilets and sinks are filthy. It was quite obviously a long time since any of them were cleaned.
The rooms are a basic as it gets and very close to communal areas.
The pool was nice, in a small garden. Nowhere very comfortable to chill in the garden though.
It's fine if none of the above bother you but for me it's a no no.

• Stayed October 2012

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Regina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This place offers a warm welcome to every traveller! It is filled with friendly and people, and has a laid-back vibe. You can hang out with other guests in the backyard, rent a board or bike for a few bucks a day and just enjoy the time in this surfer's nest. There is a kitchen to cook your own food and awesome pool. Perfect for the low-budget backpacker who is looking to meet interesting people from all over the world and make new friends.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

It seems this Place has changed since it was last voted for here. I stayed in June 2012. The Hostel is a nice place, perfect for backpackers on a low budget. A bed in the dorm is 11 bucks during the low Season. The owners are very welcoming and helpful. Theres a common kitchen that is clean and a cool pool in the garden. No roof terrace though. It's a cosy Place but don't go if you want a very clean place or much privacy!

• Stayed June 2012
Heredia, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

this place is awesome. laid back, friendly people, welcoming feel, very open and lots of fun stuff to do. Edit runs a great hostel and is so chill.

Room Tip: cheapest way to go is dorm style, there is one with ac and one without. without is cheapest and hone...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Sparks, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

This is a family hostel, but not in the way that you'd want to bring your kids. Upon arrival at Las Camas I was given a tour of the house, as I was guided through each area I was introduced to everyone we passed, by name; it was a touch of familiarity I came to really appreciate. It's not every day that you come across a place like this, the people who like it love it and the people who don't like it leave. It works out for everyone that way.
Edit and Csaba [the Hungarian owners] are fantastic hosts, while they are real people and have their own real lives, the hostel and good experience of their guests always comes first. Csaba can be found shirtless, working on some odd project or maintenance during the day, Edit, making sure the i's are dotted and t's are crossed and at night they are part of the group, hanging out at a beach bonfire or keeping the energy flowing during festivities at the hostel.
I stayed at Las Camas through Christmas 2011 and, for it being my first Christmas away from family, I felt so at home. They found a tree that we all handmade ornaments for and we had a fantastic Hungarian stew for dinner.
The mattresses are new [I saw them delivered!], the kitchen is a lively mecca of all the guests culinary efforts [clean up after yourself!], the beach is a very short walk, in fact, everything in town is in walking distance from discos and fine dining to shopping and a movie theater.
To the unseasoned traveler: this is a hostel in beach/jungle region, there are bugs, there are mosquitoes, these are facts of life, be prepared with DEET [the natural stuff will not cut it] and an expectancy to see some wildlife [from the undesirable to the beautiful] that you may be unaccustomed to.
All in all- Las Camas is a great place to rest your head, to read a book, get a tan, relax poolside, meet some people, and party it up. It's a well balanced, good vibes place that is host to innumerable fantastic memories. Jaco itself may leave some to be desired, but Las Camas delivered.

Room Tip: You have a choice between an open air dorm with fans, an inside dorm with a/c and 2 private rooms wi...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

I wasn't planning on visiting Jaco, but because of the limited bus routes, I rearranged my itinerary to avoid the 4 transfers of my original plan and spent a weekend here mostly out of convenience, and because it seemed like I had found a cool hostel that would make it worth it, Las Camas. I am so glad I went! This barely felt like a hostel, but like I was visiting old friends I didn't know I had yet. Edit and Csaba were wonderful hosts, and their friends and the other guests all ended up being some of my favorite people I've met on my trip. After a day, I felt like I was at home. Eating homemade meals and hanging out with everyone in the backyard are some of the best memories of Costa Rica so far. It shouldn't go unmentioned that they have a pool and a shower (the one inside) that was finally somewhere in between freezing cold and boiling hot.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Durango, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

This was by far the worst place I have ever been in. IT IS NOT A REAL HOSTEL. It is just a man renting dirty bunkbeds out of his house. When we first arived, we arived in a dirty, dimly lit front room. The owner then gave us a pair of really worn out, old sheets to put on our worn out, rickety bunk beds. We needed to get out of that place and promptly went to the beach. When we came back we sat on the back deck with some other travelers, there was old cups with half drunk beers, from who knows when. There were ciggerate butts everywhere. I decided to take a shower to clean off from the beach, all the showers are out side, which I didnt mind at first. The shower floors are coverd in mold and there is no hot water. After that we decied that we really coudlnt bear to stay the one night that we were planning on staying, and spent twenty extra dollars to go to a decent hotel acrss the street.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Las Camas Budget Hostel? Share your experiences!